Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
6 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » OLD BGGBlogs (do not use)

Subject: This generosity deserves praise rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alan Faller
United Kingdom
Brighton
East Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would like to take this opportunity to heap some praise on fellow geek Alcazar for an act of unprompted generosity.

A bit of background:
Some 20 odd years ago I bought the game "Gulf Strike". It was at the time the most expensive game I had bought, and even now possibly still is. Some years later whilst I was gettin' some learnin' my brother decided to borrow it to play with some friends and promptly managed to lose the rulebook, a fact I didn't find out until some years later when I collected my stuff to set up house after university.

When I compiled my collection for this site I left the comment on the game that it was sadly lacking the rules - not fishing for anything, just stating a fact.

Out of the blue Alcazar contacts me and offers a spare copy of the rulebook.

I was gobsmacked (trans: British expression meaning "quite surprised") and of course accepted the offer.

Well the rules arrived safe and well at the weekend and my most expensive game has been brought back from the dead.

I hope I don't embaress him with this, but I think Alcazar deserves public thanks for this selfless act of generosity. It is acts like this that define this site for me.

In the spirit of "what goes around comes around" I have today posted Alcazar a historical game from my collection. He doesn't have it listed in his collection, and I hope he enjoys it. It is much deserved.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Fair
United States
Damascus
MD
flag msg tools
designer
Or maybe PowerGrid?
badge
Yeah, that's me. Handsome devil, I know.
mbmbmbmbmb
Gamers
Way to go Alcazar! And to you, Pish, for your return gift.

This leads me to an observation. Gamers are a unique lot. We all value very highly these games we play and own, and would be hard pressed to replace them if we had to. Yet, we find them most valuable when they are being played.

I recently went to a con, and took about 150 of my favorite games, and my rarer games that I figured others would not have brought. Some games weren't put back the way I would have liked (but it is hard for even my closest gamer friends to please me in that regard), but my games were well taken care of and I returned with all of them intact, complete and none the worse for wear, even games that cost $100 and up.

I left them out on a table, in a hotel, in a room with 24 hour access. I never worried about them at all, because I knew that gamers wouldn't steal a game, and would take care of my games like their own.

We value our games, we value them more when they get played, but most of all, we value each other. I think Alcazar demonstrated that rather nicely, and Pish reciprocated rather well.

Since I am feeling so warm and fuzzy, I have gifted both of you 3 GeekGold.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luca Iennaco
Italy
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Well done! :)
"and so this is Christmas"... laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Faller
United Kingdom
Brighton
East Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you "BeyondMonopoly"
The geekgold is a pleasent surprise and much appreciated.

Happy Christmas.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
That IS certainly very nice of all
Yes, I also seem to attract many folks with pleas for one thing or another, due to the FACT that I tend to obtain the unique and unusual or one of a kind, and I usually accomodate them on whatever. The ONLY 'thing' I insist on, is THEM paying the costs of any printing and Postage for mailing of these 'items' as I can hardly afford this in most cases although on occasion, I have 'done' this up for someone. Just recently, I took the time and effort to send someone the Rules for a Game that I had to 'upload' and then crop those, before I sent them on their way. laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel Wright
United Kingdom
Nottingham
England
flag msg tools
Hornet Leader - Carrier Air Operations
badge
Herge's Adventures of Tintin!
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you Pish and Beyond Monopoly!
Just spotted this blush

Thanks to Pish for sending me "Lawrence of Arabia" - I shall certainly look forward to playing the game for the first time, after getting pysched up watching Peter O'Toole in David Leans classic film of course!

And thanks to Beyond Monopoly for the GG!

I think we all recognise need to help each other out, particularly with the older games. It's all to easy for odd missing component to consign a much-loved game to an eternity on the shelf cry

As Tiny Tim Cratchit would say "God Bless Us Every One!"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.