Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
16 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » OLD BGGBlogs (do not use)

Subject: THIS should fix the “picture ratings problem” rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
jefF, There are some who call me... DuneKitteh
United States
Wood Dale
Illinois
flag msg tools
Dune Kitty really does love you, despite any asshattery.
badge
Useless rollover, booya! Dune Kitty says, "deal with it."
mbmbmbmbmb
So, it seems that a lot of people are voting on The Geek to simply bring ratings of pictures down. I see at least a post every other day that someone had a decent picture hit the “ratings by picture” page and subsequently sink down the ratings like an anvil into the sea.

How to fix it?

Make it non-anonymous from now on (and every picture that has been voted on to this point, everyone that has rated it is now shown). We do it for games, why not for the pictures? I know each user’s voting info is in the database because every pic I view that I voted on, it still remembers my rating when I go back. I, personally, have the balls to stand by my ratings from a 1 to a 10 whether it be for a game or a picture – I think if more people had to attach their username to the picture they give a “1” to that most others give a 7 or 8 to, they might actually rethink their seemingly sour grapes mission strategy to rip people’s pics down.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terry Bailey Sr.
United States
Jonesborough
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Why?
I am sorry I have not kept up with the picture rating controversy. What is the deal? Why are there ratings for pictures this is a game site not a photography site? So why rate pictures anyway? I don't understand someone enlighten me please.

Terry Bailey Sr.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Tang
Malaysia
KL
WP
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Or just like games, people might create dummy accounts, and still vote the picture down.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
ummmmmmmmm
Who cares?

Its a PICTURE. With no guidelines. On a website.

Does it matter?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Vasel
United States
Homestead
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
Love Games, Love 'Em!!!
badge
Check out DiceTower.com!
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that a lot of people care, otherwise we'd hear no mention of it.

I think this idea has merit, and while it won't fix the problem completely, people will be less likely to give pictures a vote of "1".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen
United States
Ferndale
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I say remove the 1-10 rateing's and replace them with teh artical rateings of 1-5

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Wood Dale
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jttm:
If people want to go THAT far, then it doesn't really matter on too many levels then, does it? At that point people have really just crossed the line from rating a game or picture, to actually turning the ratings process itself into their own demented game. Still, my suggestion would even help in your scenario. I'm a lot more likely to take to heart a rating or recommendation from someone like Tom Vasel rather than an "empty" profile that has no games and just some ratings.

Geosphere:
I don't know, does it? What was the reasoning or purpose behind the rating system to begin with, and what do YOU think it's for? ...answer me that, and we’ll go from there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Johan Ragnarsson
Sweden
Lund
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just like some users will give word games or abstract games unfairly low scores, I would give pictures of war games 1's without any guidelines for rating pictures, as I simply don't like war games.

I think it is quite hard to avoid the problems with picture ratings.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Wood Dale
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nextinline:
Even if I think it’s weird too, at least it’s some reason – I just want people to put their name behind their ratings. Knowing this now, I can actually understand why minismurf might rate chuckles2000’s Memoir ’44 pictures at a one – it’s his right to do so... I just would like to see that rating of 1 next to his name under the picture he rated and see that he felt so strongly about the subject matter of a picture to rate it like that and just put his name next to it and stand by it while making that bold assertion, rather than the option of just not simply rating it in the first place.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corey Butler
United States
Marshall
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Would nonanonymous ratings hold people more accountable and make ratings more accurate? Not necessarily. Yes, people would be less likely to make low, spiteful ratings, but is that really happening? By attaching people's names to their ratings, you might actually introduce additional biases. Would we artificially inflate our ratings so our friends don't get pissed off at us, for example? It could become a popularity contest of sorts. Polls are typically kept anonymous for a reason, you know. We do attach people's names to their game ratings, but these are professional products, not the work of our friends. Just a thought.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Wood Dale
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nextinline:
Then I'll ask you the same thing that I asked Geosphere... What was the reasoning or purpose behind the rating system to begin with, and what do YOU think it's for? If it's useless, then let's just be done with it and make it go away as a failed experiment. Better to have everyone simply wonder if their hard work for the site is unacceptable rather than have it in black and white in an actual number in front of them, and worse yet have people discouraged enough to stop contributing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John O'Haver PhoDOGrapher
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Pet photographer, that's me.
mbmbmbmbmb
Robert Bencley once wrote
something to the effect that there are two groups of people in this world, people who divide people into groups and people who don't.

There are people whose personal picture rating criteria is as follows:

There are people who rate solely on technical proficiency. Despite the fact that some of us use low end digital equipment.

There are people who rate solely on artistic merit.

There are people who rate soley on utilitilty.

There are people who just don't care.

AND THEN>>>

There are people who rate pictures based on the genre of game.

"I would give pictures of war games 1's without any guidelines for rating pictures, as I simply don't like war games."

Frankly, this is very strange criteria and totally unfair. If I were to rate pix based on this standard, abstract game pix would plummet despite the fact that I once was a serious photographer.

Thus a technically perfect, expertly composed and informative picture of Roads To Leningrad gets a ONE from at least one person!!!

That's the last comment from me on this issue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.