Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
5 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » OLD BGGBlogs (do not use)

Subject: Picture Perfect rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
A L D A R O N
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
A L D A R O N
badge
----[---->+<]>++.+++++++++++.--------.---.>-[--->+<]>---.---.-.
mb
Folks: What's the problem with the picture rating system? If you have an issue with your rating, as near as I can tell, all you need to do is post a journal entry complaining that your photo didn't get the ratings you wanted and -- presto -- it rockets to the top!

And besides (and more seriously) the pictures are one of the greatest things about BGG. All of them. Even the objectively crappy ones and the ones that this or that person may take issue with for whatever reason convey a lot of information and are an invaluable resource that is available nowhere else on the Web.

Keep the photos coming. And if you don't like your rating, just whine!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Tang
Malaysia
KL
WP
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bah, I actually want to whine about being a rater.
So what if I want to rate some pictures 1 or 2?
Is that so wrong?

These are subjective after all.
These guys who whine after ratings, maybe you should request that picture ratings be from 5 to 10. That way, you won't be disappointed.
shake

The reason we have a 1 and 2 is so that people can rate the pictures a 1 or a 2.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Agreed
The reason we have a 1 and 2 is so that people can rate the pictures a 1 or a 2.

Tang is now thinking like I do with cars and trucks. I figure they have bumpers and crumple zones for a reason... so why not use them.

That's why I drive an Urban Assault Vehicle and not some little weenie hybrid thing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Tang
Malaysia
KL
WP
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ahh, I love Hummers.
laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dale walton
Thailand
Bangkok
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Ranking would be better
Re ratings: Whetheror not it makes sense for people who regularly play games (and thus should have developed thick skins about winning/losing and other people's judgements of them) it is obvious from the comments about ratings that lots of people are getting hurt. So I would say right or wrongly, that the ratings are doing more harm than good.

This is as good a place as any to add a suggestion: Instead of rating, why don't we simply have the ability to cast a single vote per game of "This is the picture I want to see on the front page." Then the highest ranked picture shows up first, and so on in order. Just one vote per user per game. Ordering the pictures is the only purpose I can see for the rating system, and people can decide if they want to keep a picture from being last, or move it to the front.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.