Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
6 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » OLD BGGBlogs (do not use)

Subject: Q for people who know Cosmic Encounter rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steven Winsor
United States
Santa Clara
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm 90% sure I'll be getting the AH version of CE for Christmas (as I'm the one heading the eBay bidding...), and I've heard of plenty of people making a 5th and 6th set of pieces for more players.

So, is the 54-card deck (36 attack 10 negotiate/compromise 8 artifact/edict) enough for 6 people, in your experience, or no?

I asked this in an article on the game page but I figured that wouldn't be answered very soon at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bruno faidutti
France
PARIS
flag msg tools
designer
I'd say it's not enough, even for four players.....
I could send you a pdf of my own deck, but the card texts are in french....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steen Bang-Madsen
Denmark
Taastrup
DK
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Even if you manage to make both addition board pieces AND extra cards, you will still have en issue on spaceship units. You will have to split them up somehow. I think the solution is to purchase an extra copy, or half an extra copy and share the other half with someone. Then you've got everything extra, and merely need to print two new colored boardpieces, and glue the paper on top of your extra boardpieces, and finally paint the extra spaceship units.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Winsor
United States
Santa Clara
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Generic counters is fine for me, unless someone wants to sell me ships from a game that they purchased for that reason.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken H.
United States
Amherst
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Of course, the original edition of the game was published with little cardboard circles instead of space ships. It played fine that way, so I wouldn't worry about extra ships.

I agree that there aren't enough cards. In fact, my understanding is that is one of the main reasons the game didn't sell well, at least among players that were already familiar with the game. If you deal 6 hands, that takes up 42 cards, leaving you only 12 in the deck. If there are several defensive alliances on the first turn (entirely possible, and even likely in some groups), then you run out of cards almost immediately, and shuffling the discard pile won't give you enough if it's that early in the game.

So, you definitely need more cards. 80 to 100 total cards should do the trick. Personally, I'd say make your own. That way you can customize the deck to your liking. This game has been published so many times that is really no "official" challenge deck, although the Eon deck seems to be preferred by many. Plus, by making your own, you can add cards that don't even exist in published form (like various internet edicts/artifacts and other home-made expansions).

I'm thinking of making some cards myself since my deck is very worn and is missing most of the flares. One idea I've heard (that I'm going to try) is to get a set of card sleeves with opaque backs. That way, all the home made cards don't have to match the originals.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Finazzo
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The deck cycles pretty quickly with 6, but it's playable. The orginal CE added the 5th & 6th player in the first two expansions without adding anything to the deck however. There is a component listing at http://www.gamecabinet.com/ruleComments/CosmicEncounterCompo... if you want to see exactly what they added.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.