Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
17 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » OLD BGGBlogs (do not use)

Subject: Deck of D6's rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Justin Fitzgerald
United States
Mazomanie
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, so there is a deck of dice. Big whoop. It's 2D6. Let's say I want to play Warhammer and I need piles of D6's. Is there a deck of dice that does this?

And of course I know I could just go get a regular deck of cards and just keep the A-6. Thanks Captain Obvious.

Also, does anyone know where to get these?

I often have people tell me I'm lucky with the dice (which I'd say is correct but statistically unsubstatianted). That's really not the factor - it's more of the Dragonlance 5th Age or LOTR: The Confrontation issue. If you get lucky early on by using bigger cards, you know that is going to come back to haunt you later. The beauty is you can use that to your advantage tactically by sacrificing poor units instead of your big ones!

Anyway, polyhedron Deck of Dice anyone?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hans Persson
Sweden
Linköping
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What do you mean by deck of dice? A deck of cards with one for each face (or combination of faces, for multiple dice) that you draw from without reshuffling to make a "statistically accurate" randomizer, or what?

Speaking of dice, where can I get a few dozen d6 cheaply? Stores in or close to Sweden are better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Fitzgerald
United States
Mazomanie
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/5460

There's a Deck of Dice.

As far as D6's... I'm not sure if you have anything like we do over there like Wal-Mart but typically you can get 5 for $1 or so. If not, you might look on eBay. Dice are pretty inexpensive there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul - the
Sweden
Lund
flag msg tools
My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings; Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
badge
You spin me right round, baby - Right round like a record, baby - Right round round round - You spin me right round, baby…
mbmbmbmbmb
Easiest way to get lots of dice is to scrounge other games for them.

Axis & Allies and Europe Engulfed are some good sources.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Haberman
United States
Painesville
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just use A-6 in 4 suits of regular playing cards. With only 1 die, each number has the same probablitity of showing up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Haberman
United States
Painesville
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Of course you could always just use 2-7 and subtract 1 also. devil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Valdir Jorge
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Low luck variant
Hi Justin!

Have you considered trying a low luck variant? I use it for Axis & Allies and I think it should work fine with any game that needs huge amounts of dice rolling.

The idea is this: if you need to roll n dice (where "n" is a number greater than 6) you just divide n by six and see the remainder (let's call it "r"). You only roll r dice and consider that all the other groups of dice had a normal distribution and count the hits.

Let me give you one example to clarify: let's say you have to roll fifteen d6 and the "hits" would be 5's and 6's. OK, so 15 divided by 6 is 2 with remainder 3. So you consider that you got two 5's and two 6's (so four sure hits in total). Then you roll the three dice (the remainder) and see if you get any 5's or 6's. You add those hits to the four that you got without rolling and that's your total number of hits.

This way, luck is still there, but to a much lesser extent. You won't see battles that are completely decided by the dice, strategy will play a much greater role.

Of course this works with any type of dice, you just have to divide the groups accordingly.

What do you think?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul - the
Sweden
Lund
flag msg tools
My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings; Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
badge
You spin me right round, baby - Right round like a record, baby - Right round round round - You spin me right round, baby…
mbmbmbmbmb
Wouldn't this lead to somewhat gamey tactics?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darryl Shpak
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmb
Gamey tactics? In...in a game?

The horror...

(tongue firmly in cheek)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott A. Reed
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mb
In discussions of the 'Deck of Dice' and the 'Dice Deck' (2 separate entities), people seem to forget the longstanding traditional dice replacement/randomizer... dominoes! A 6-dot set of dominoes with the blanks removed has a perfect statistical plot of all of the 2d6 rolls. For the set that rolls larger dice, increase the dot set fo 2d8, 2d10, or 2d12.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Winsor
United States
Santa Clara
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, that's smart. And I have a whole brick of (I think) up to 15.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Smith
United States
Jackson
MS
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
people seem to forget the longstanding traditional dice replacement/randomizer... dominoes! A 6-dot set of dominoes with the blanks removed has a perfect statistical plot of all of the 2d6 rolls.

Huh!?!

Somebody has been lying to somebody. If you remove all the bones with blanks, you end up with the following distibution for a set of double-six dominoes:

2 x
3 x
4 xx
5 xx
6 xxx
7 xxx
8 xxx
9 xx
10 xx
11 x
12 x

You're actual plot should look like this:

2 x
3 xx
4 xxx
5 xxxx
6 xxxxx
7 xxxxxx
8 xxxxx
9 xxxx
10 xxx
11 xx
12 x

Using the dominoes simply flattens out the middle peak by a fair amount.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Smith
United States
Jackson
MS
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As an extension to my previous comment, if you did want to emulate a 2d6 with dominoes, you would need two sets of double-six with all of the blanks removed from both sets and all of the doubles removed from the second set.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Lopez
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
Get off my lawn!
badge
The explanation: Impossible Triangle + TW (my company initials) = my logo.
mbmbmbmbmb
Goal?
Wow, what an attitude. I hit reply after reading this message and after composing a reply I scrolled down to see if I had addressed the issue. Then I realized I have no reason to actually do so since the entry was edited to belittle those who answered your question. "Thanks Captain Obvious" and "Okay, so there is a deck of dice. Big whoop" are not gracious ways to treat those who answered your inital (and poorly phrased if those were not answers you were looking for) question. Good freaking grief.

*deleted*

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Frederick
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Attitude
When I read the thread title I was going to take 2 minutes to make a PDF d6 deck and provide it on my site. But after reading the "Captain Obvious" comment... yeah, well, good luck with that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Fitzgerald
United States
Mazomanie
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
*snickers* Awwww... don't take offense, I just figured someone would say the A-6 and was trying to save them the trouble of typing it anyway since I'd thought of that.

Also I didn't completely spell everything out because the Deck of Dice was discussed yesterday and I figured most of you all had read that already anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Fitzgerald
United States
Mazomanie
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PDF would be cool but what I was really meaning was is there a commerical company that makes decks like this? I know they have the 2D6 deck but what would be more useful would be like:

D4, D6, D8, D10, etc.

That's what I mean.

Fully aware someone could create a deck like this with A-3, A-6, A-8, A-10 and so on.

But it's a matter of appearance. Would prefer to not have suits on the dice, first off. Secondly, the other thing is quality of the cards. While someone could make a PDF that would serve the purpose the quality of the card itself would be an issue.

Re: figuring out the average, etc. That's a fine idea but it doesn't have the randomness that dice can give. Occassionally someone does do something really crazy like pull a chain of 6's in a row. Maybe that's why I actually like dice. You can predict but never assume what might happen. Would be nice to have D6 cards, though, to make a point to people who say "it's all in the dice".

In any case, thanks for the suggestions, I might resort to using regular playing cards... we'll see

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.