Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
. .

Apex
North Carolina
msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Combat Commander has to be one of my all time favorite games now. I own Europe & Med with all the C3i's and expansions.

I'd love to get Pacific, but it kind of feels like the forgotten sibling of the CC family. I thought I remembered hearing that Pacific was going to be getting some expansions in 2010 or 2011 but I don't remember where I saw that (or did I not see it?)....

Any info would be greatly appreciated. Everyone seems to love it and I think I just need something to get me over the hump to order this bad boy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Cinzori
United States
Holland
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
There's a New Guinea battle pack that will be hitting P500 some time this year (I think).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andre Oliveira
Brazil
Sao Paulo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
WonderCinz wrote:
There's a New Guinea battle pack that will be hitting P500 some time this year (I think).

Any details on that? How many maps, new units, new orders/actions?
Thanks for the heads up anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
. .

Apex
North Carolina
msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
theredtree wrote:
I play Combat Commander: Europe regularly with a friend and we only use the random scenario generator. There's no lack of variety and hence no need to try Pacific.

I think -- and I'm being serious here -- that Chad Jensen made the game *too replayable* and neutered the benefit of having expansions.

I totally agree that the RSG is a great addition, but having played the expansions I can say they add a lot. From campaign rules and additional chrome like rubble, molitov cocktails, etc. to additional maps it's hard to argue with more in this system!

Chad's been an excellent steward of the product line to this point, which is why the lack of Pacific expansions strikes me as odd. Maybe after he gets Fighting Formations out the door we'll see him map out some Pacific stuff.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cindy Nowak
United States
Kenosha
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
John Foley, Kai Jensen - along with many others - are hard at work on the New Guinea battle pack. I had the opportunity to playtest one of the scenarios at GMT East in March - freaking awesome!

As John said it should P500 pretty soon.""
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pardoe
United States
flag msg tools
badge
medlinke wrote:
which is why the lack of Pacific expansions strikes me as odd.

I don't get this statement. The next battlepack will be New Guinea for CC. And the development team for it (as with the previous battlepacks) is John Foley and Kai Jensen. Now that Normandy has been published - I suspect they are diving deep into New Guinea. So the next expansion will be for CC

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
. .

Apex
North Carolina
msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
It shouldn't be surprising. I was unaware that was the case. It's great news!!! Sadly I'm not familiar with the day-to-day goings on of John and Kai!

Definitely looking forward to it.

I don't tend to read consimworld because I cannot figure out how the "forums" work there. Thanks for the link.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cindy Nowak
United States
Kenosha
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are a fan of Combat Commander - heck, even if you're not yet - I think you will enjoy this battle pack. In speaking with some of the folks involved in this, I can tell you I am really looking forward to this battle pack. Being able to sit down with John to discuss it just confirmed my thoughts that this is a must have.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Wehrenberg
United States
Unspecified
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
medlinke wrote:

I don't tend to read consimworld because I cannot figure out how the "forums" work there. Thanks for the link.

Me either medlinke, it baffles me that they don't have a "regular" message board. Why would any site in the world not do everything it can to make their site more accessible?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buetow
United States
McHenry
Illinois
flag msg tools
Combat Commander Archivist
badge
Move! Advance! Fire! Rout! Recover! Artillery Denied! Artillery Request! Command Confusion...say what?!
mbmbmbmbmb
Chairman7w wrote:
medlinke wrote:

Me either medlinke, it baffles me that they don't have a "regular" message board. Why would any site in the world not do everything it can to make their site more accessible?

It is what it is and there's lots of good information there. The trick is in subbing to games or companies you like to follow.

Here's CC:
http://talk.consimworld.com/WebX?13@71.AYCSb4EPde6.9@.1dd0d2...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John DeWolfe
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just bought Pacific, and got in a quick RSG with myself on Monday just to be sure I was following the rules changes from Europe and Med. I'm hoping to get my first face-to-face game in on the weekend, and maybe more than one time permitting. So I am hardly an expert on the game, but here's my initial impression...

Japan plays really different from any other nation in CC, and it's this difference that has me excited and figuring it was a very good purchase. In my solo test game, it was the infiltrate order that really appealed to me - I mean, I was the one infiltrating my own lines, and it still added a heck of a lot of tension to the game! Add to that the lack of a surrender value for the Japanese, the banzai posture (which I didn't try out yet but am very excited to see in action), the treetop sniper, and it all seems to me to lead to a playstyle that is sneakier and a bit more reckless. So to me, the appeal of the game is either getting to play that way, or having to react to it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Foley
United States
Warren
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I have completed the design of the New Guinea BP (with Kai as my able Developer and inputs from other scenario designers as well).

We'll have 14 scenarios and 6 new maps - but no extra counter sheet or rule booklet this time. It will go onto P500 after we get the materials composed to "play testing" standards and have our very able testing teams do a "search and destroy" pass for any serious errors.

More detail will be available when this goes to P500 (hopefully by early fall).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.