Mikkel Øberg
Denmark
Virum
flag msg tools
badge
Ahh, you found me... Run!
mbmbmbmbmb
Greetings,

I have been playing a fair amount of W:I over the last month, even hosting a tournament at my FLGS, but now two questions arose that I cannot seem to find the answers to, neither here nor on ffg.com:

1) Toughness is worded as such: "Whenever this unit is assigned damage, cancel 1 of that damage" and we have played it that way - however in the rules it states that (p. 16): "the toughness keyword cancels its numeric value of that [assigned] damage before the damage is applied" and in the example they show it happening after the action window between assigning and applying damage.

Therefore, Toughness actually cancels 1 damage whenever a unit it applied damage, and here comes the question:

Do other "when assigned damage" effects also occur at the apply-damage step, such as Warrior Priest's "The first point of damage assigned to this unit each turn is redirected (...)"?

2) During the "Apply Damage" step, who chooses in which order the units having received damage equal to their HP are removed? For instance, if three of my dwarves receive lethal damage, and among them is a Dwarf Ranger (Quest. Forced: After one of your other Dwarf units leave play, deal 1 damage (...)), do I get to choose the order they die in, hereby optimizing and dealing two damage?

Or is the answer simply that not even Forced effects can take place during the Apply Damage step, and as such the effect is never triggered?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Vollick
Canada
St. Thomas
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
To answer your second question: I believe that once all combat damage is applied, it is applied instantaneously and all units that go to the discard pile go at once. So in your example if your Dwarf Ranger recieved enough damage to destroy it along with 2 other of your dwarf units the Dwarf Ranger forced ability wouldn't go off.

To answer your first question I would suggest reading the FAQ on FFG's website as the rules for the game have been severely changed or they were misprinted in the rule book to begin with. You can decide for yourself which it is. whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikkel Øberg
Denmark
Virum
flag msg tools
badge
Ahh, you found me... Run!
mbmbmbmbmb
I am inclined to your interpretation of the second question, however regarding the first, your answer is:

Vollick1979 wrote:
To answer your first question I would suggest reading the FAQ on FFG's website as the rules for the game have been severely changed or they were misprinted in the rule book to begin with. You can decide for yourself which it is. whistle

As mentioned I have played it extensively, and as such have already read the FAQ. I just browsed through it, can you please specify where it mentions the answer to my question?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Du Rietz
Sweden
flag msg tools
mb
I haven't found any direct answer to this question, in the rules or faq.
The wording seem to leave a bit of room for interpretation. I consider toughness as a constant effect, and hence should work immediately when the criteria is met. However the rules only states that the damage is cancelled before it's applied. So we know the effect takes place somewhere between the assignment and application of damage.

For what it's worth, I've always been playing that the damage is cancelled right before it's applied, hence after the action window.
And I've a sneaking suspicion that it's the correct sequence, since none have ever called me on it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damon Stone
United States
Dallas
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules are specific, Toughness cancels its numeric value of damage being applied to a unit. Damage is first assigned and then applied. The apply damage step shows that the first thing you do with assigned damage is remove however much is equal to any damage cancellation effects, then you move the rest (if any) on to the unit.

Warrior Priest reassigns assigned damage so does so as it is assigned, as just one more point of damage that needs to be assigned. It is not damage cancellation and takes place before the player action window in between combat damage assignment and application.

No triggered effect can interrupt the assigning or application of damage. It must be triggered before or after not during, this includes Forced effects. All damage is applied simultaneously. As soon as a units damage counters is equal to or more than the number of HP it has it is removed from play. When multiple units hit this threshold simultaneously they are removed in the same way, and no triggered effects can be triggered during this, only before or after, including Forced Effects.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.