Subject: I love power grid and agricola rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tim Gunner
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love playing power grid and agricola, would someone recommend this as a good game for me to purchase?

Is the game too similar to power grid?
I have a feeling its nothing like agricola.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Broggi
United States
Southwick
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, it is nothing like Agricola. And it is also very different from Power Grid. But given that you love both of them, you will probably love Steam too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
The games are nothing alike.

I recommend Age of Steam as the more interesting game instead of Steam.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Rudram
Canada
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Steam is more like Power Grid than Agricola, but only if you squint very hard. They are both economic games, both have a brutal auction and both make you worry about $1 more, and both build up networks.

But they aren't really similar at all. The sums are easier in Steam for starters, the game is much more about building a network, optimising each turn and working out were your goods (and hence points) are going to come from.

I'd always recommend Steam over Age of Steam if your 'not sure' as the base game works very nicely if you like something a little lighter (or have a group of friends that'd prefer to play and a group that likes heavy), while the standard game is almost, but not quite, as brutal as Age of Steam.

However, if unsure check out comparison reviews of both.

I fear I may have started another 'AoS/Steam' religious war thread. Which will be dull as it's been done already, and the Original Poster can probably check those issues out.

I'd say you can't go too wrong with a purchase of either, given what you say you like.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Shaw
United States
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wheelo wrote:
I love playing power grid and agricola, would someone recommend this as a good game for me to purchase?

Is the game too similar to power grid?
I have a feeling its nothing like agricola.

Steam is an excellent game, but nothing like Power Grid or Agricola as others have said. I like Age of Steam more, but Steam is more new player friendly.

If you want something similar with how it works, but also completely different, to Powergrid...try Silverton which is also a crayon rails game (like Powergrid) that's had the crayon replaced with bits instead.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hoffman
United States
Cortlandt Manor
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The question is, what do you like about Agricola and Power Grid?

If you like the bidding in Power Grid, Standard Steam or Age of Steam may appeal to you. The bidding in those games is quite different from Power Grid, but it is there (you're bidding for turn order, not for game elements -- though it can work out to be roughly the same thing).

If you like the network building of Power Grid, both Steam and Age of Steam have that in spades.

If you like the role selection (if you will) from Agricola, Steam has that -- each turn you select from one of seven actions that only you can take.

If you like that Agricola offers a game which can be played at different levels of complexity, I'd suggest Steam over Age of Steam -- Basic Steam is a great and accessible game. Standard Steam and Age of Steam are more complex, and tighter.

If you like Power Grid's many different boards to play on . . . Age of Steam has (right now) a LOT more boards than Steam. Steam has four "official" boards to play on (two double-sided boards if you buy the Steam Barons expansion). The rules for a lot of the Age of Steam maps/boards ARE available online, however.

I'm sure there are more ways the games are comparable, but that's just off the top of my head. For what it's worth, I like Power Grid and Agricola and I love Steam and Age of Steam. As a final thought, since bringing Steam to the table, my gaming group won't touch Age of Steam -- it plays faster and they find it more amenable to their tastes.

I'll play either game, though I have to admit Steam is easier to teach and to learn (at least in my opinion).

Really, though, you cant' go wrong with either one!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Lacombe
Louisiana
msg tools
badge
Suddenly a shot rang out! A door slammed. The maid screamed. Suddenly a pirate ship appeared on the horizon! While millions of people were starving, the king lived in luxury. Meanwhile, on a small farm in Kansas, a boy was growing up.
mbmbmbmbmb
Age Of Steam feels more like Chinese Checkers by Committee than it does like Power Grid.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Gunner
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I appreciate the insight. I'm looking for a game with quite a bit of depth. The lighter strategy games dont really appeal to my gaming group.

From what I'm reading, this seems like a game for me.

Oh and my gaming is consistently 5 players. I may be mistaken but isn't age of steam only 4 players max?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Beau Bailey
United States
Missoula
Montana
flag msg tools
Why don't you believe me?
badge
Seriously, I'm a weasel.
mb
Wheelo wrote:
I appreciate the insight. I'm looking for a game with quite a bit of depth. The lighter strategy games dont really appeal to my gaming group.

From what I'm reading, this seems like a game for me.

Oh and my gaming is consistently 5 players. I may be mistaken but isn't age of steam only 4 players max?

Age of Steam is playable with up to 6 players with the base game. Steam plays up to 5 (again with the base game).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Lacombe
Louisiana
msg tools
badge
Suddenly a shot rang out! A door slammed. The maid screamed. Suddenly a pirate ship appeared on the horizon! While millions of people were starving, the king lived in luxury. Meanwhile, on a small farm in Kansas, a boy was growing up.
mbmbmbmbmb
Wheelo wrote:
I may be mistaken but isn't age of steam only 4 players max?

You're mistaken. It takes up to 6, variously well depending on the map [I've not enough experience to tell you which maps for which counts].

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cristian Cano
Spain
Sevilla
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
IMHO Steam is a better game than Agricola and Power Grid, this game is a must in every boardgame collection.

It plays very well with 4 and 5 players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.