BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Games with clever dice mechanics? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James Little
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
I'm starting to enjoy some luck in my games and it works well with my non-gamer friends and my girlfriend. I'm not specifically looking for dice-only games, but I welcome those suggestions too.

I've ordered Kingsburg and Kingsburg: To Forge a Realm knowing dice is the main draw in this game and is cleverly used - I'm really excited for it.

I know of Roll Through the Ages: The Bronze Age, but for some reason it doesn't really appeal to me. Ra: The Dice Game is something I may be interested in, but I'm not sure.

If you have any recommendations, they would be much appreciated. Thanks!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Aucoin
United States
Metairie
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yspahan, Macao and Livingstone use dice in a very unique way. One player rolls the dice but everyone gets their choise of dice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
Macao has an interesting way of using dice to generate resources. I want to try it someday!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kerry Harrison
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch
badge
Meep. Meep. Meep.
mbmbmbmbmb
Most likely a little more hardcore then you're looking for but I really like the way Monsterpocalypse (and of course it's progenitors Warmachine and Hordes) use dice as both a combat mechanism and as a resource mechanism.

Oh, and there's actually a standalone boardgame version of them MonPoc now called: Monsterpocalypse: Voltron – Defender of the Universe Battle Game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cate
United States
Mequon
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
No good deed goes unpunished.
badge
Ring the bells that still can ring, Forget your perfect offering, There's a crack in everything, That's how the light gets in. - Leonard Cohen
mbmbmbmbmb
Shanghaien
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Classic Warlord surprise
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.A.H. van de Laak
Hong Kong
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I also was looking for a dice game... and I stumbled onto a cool, free and seemingly very interesting print and play dice game:

http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/61028/d-day-dice

Very neatly done, with great looking rules/play sheets and such. What I am planning to do is to laminate those sheets and use erasable markers for scoring keeping. When the game is finished, I simply wipe the erasable markings off.

Very neat and its free! I am in good moods now I found this game. Since originally I wanted to buy To Court the King... but now this seems to be quite similar and perhaps just as good. (or better)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Always bring your towel.
United States
Morrilton
Arkansas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I always recommend Dragon Dice if you like dice games. The game was originally by TSR, and later picked up by its current proud owner, SFR Inc. The game is still supported, and getting back some momentum. If I had to choose between Dragon Dice and any of the top three games on BGG I would choose Dragon Dice every time.

http://www.sfr-inc.com
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Er
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
badge
Dice Town

my friends really love this one. but its poker dice though. not sure if thats your thing
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blhootz Yinshalot
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I finally played my first game of Mosaix last night, and the four of us really dug it!

Definitely not your average, run-of-the-mill dice game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henrik Lantz
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kingsburg is a great game, good choice. I am also enjoying Roll Through the Ages a lot now, and would strongly recommend it. Probably the best short game (20 mins?) I have played. I have so far only played it two player, and it works great that way. Like you, I was very hesitant to try it for a long time, but am now very happy I did.

Claustrophobia is a quick playing (1 hour) dungeon crawl that uses dice in a great way to determine the stats of the humans and what bonuses are available to the demon player for each turn. Just got it, but first impressions are good. Two player only.

I will also add my support for Yspahan, good if somewhat dry eurogame that plays in around 45 mins. 2-4 players, works well with two.

Shanghaien was ok, but did not grab me. If you enjoy slightly abstract games like Lost Cities, this could be a good choice though. Two players only.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Little
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
Bolger wrote:
Claustrophobia is a quick playing (1 hour) dungeon crawl that uses dice in a great way to determine the stats of the humans and what bonuses are available to the demon player for each turn. Just got it, but first impressions are good. Two player only.

I have recently purchased Claustrophobia and absolutely adore it so far...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dicky P
United Kingdom
West
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Alien Frontiers has a bit of buzz surrounding it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henrik Lantz
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just realized that Roma/Arena: Roma II and Alea Iacta Est had not been mentioned. They should be. Haven't played them though, but in particular Arena looks like a great two player game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil
Germany
Bremen
Bremen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Heckmeck Barbecue? Simple game, makes fun.

EDIT: Hmm, that doesn't seem to the right version of the game I was thinking of. The original title should have been "Heckmeck am Bratwurmeck" or something like that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henrik Lantz
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Harlekin wrote:
Heckmeck Barbecue? Simple game, makes fun.

EDIT: Hmm, that doesn't seem to the right version of the game I was thinking of. The original title should have been "Heckmeck am Bratwurmeck" or something like that.

It is called Pickomino in English. Very good push-your-luck dice game. Love the components!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Toco
Belgium
Oost-Vlaanderen
Vlaanderen
flag msg tools
designer
badge
www.tocoking.be/hotspot
mbmbmb
"Planet Masters" formerly known as "Twilight Imperium Express" has some very clever dice mechanics. (Currently not at BGG.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.A.H. van de Laak
Hong Kong
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just finished printing and laminating the battle plans and reference sheet of D-Day Dice. As well as... buying 6 dices (pairs of red, blue and white) for the solitaire version. (can be multiplayer too)

After reading the rules and such... I will give it a try later this evening. So far I have been very impressed by the professional first looks of this fantastic free game. Nicely written rules, interesting options and exciting mechanics. Free expansions to boot. Just download and print!

Be aware to read of a lot of rules though in the beginning, but I think its more than worth the effort.

If the designer reads this, : You have my thanks!

Get it here:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/61028/d-day-dice
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias
Germany
Munich
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not sure if this will fit your bill, but I have recently discovered IRONDIE, and I love it.

The game is actually nothing but dice, but they are solid metal and really beautiful
, and I certainly think it is a clever game with "normal" dice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Little
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
ldsdbomber wrote:
Roma is A LOT of fun and I think based on the OP comments, he would really like this, the laying of cards on dice slots is really cool and allows for some neat strategy and tactics, and still random enough to be fun rather than annoying, and you can always get cards or coins if you don't roll to activate your troops.

HIGHLY recommend this one to the OP

This looks like a great suggestion... I notice there are 2 games to this series - would you say it is essential to own both? Is one better than the other?

Thanks again!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesus Gabriel y Galan
Spain
Madrid
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
voidfox wrote:
ldsdbomber wrote:
Roma is A LOT of fun and I think based on the OP comments, he would really like this, the laying of cards on dice slots is really cool and allows for some neat strategy and tactics, and still random enough to be fun rather than annoying, and you can always get cards or coins if you don't roll to activate your troops.

HIGHLY recommend this one to the OP

This looks like a great suggestion... I notice there are 2 games to this series - would you say it is essential to own both? Is one better than the other?

Thanks again!

I own both of them but have only played the base one yet. I enjoy it a lot, you can get a lot of plays in and never gets boring. Some games are a quick rush, while others go on in a great battle. The dice make this game great. Other games with dice I enjoy:

To Court the King I like this one a lot because my wife loves it !
It's Yatzhee style, but with the cards you buy give you abilities to modify dice.
Ghost Stories I discovered this one recently and I'm getting a blast. I've enjoyed it solitaire and with 2 and 4 players. Great co-op !!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Little
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
ldsdbomber wrote:

Ghost Stories I discovered this one recently and I'm getting a blast. I've enjoyed it solitaire and with 2 and 4 players. Great co-op !!

I own Ghost Stories, it's so good!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Martinell
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jion wrote:
Dice Town

my friends really love this one. but its poker dice though. not sure if thats your thing

Isn't Pony Express along those same lines? Except you roll your dice and try to physically knock down your opponents or something right? I'm going to get this or Dicetown, as both look pretty interesting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Rudram
Canada
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cephalopod uses dice... but they aren't rolled, no random factors.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
RJD
United States
Quad-Cities
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've always felt that Silent Death: The Next Millennium Deluxe Edition's dice mechanic for streamlining combat was an ingenious idea.

Basically, you'll roll 3 dice trying to hit an enemy starfighter's target number. If you hit, do not - repeat: do not - touch the dice but instead leave them where they fell and look at the numbers again. How much damage your shot has done depends on whether your weapon system does HIGH, LOW, or MEDIUM damage. If it's HIGH, then the highest number that was rolled from one of those 3 dice is damage done. If it's LOW, then damage done is the lowest number that was rolled. MEDIUM is whatever number was inbetween. Simple and fast.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.