Popular Tags: [View All]
kirby g
United States
sheboygan
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Boardgamenews.com has posted an article stating that Catan will be demoed on the Microsoft Surface at the upcoming Origins. The video looks pretty neat. I think the Microsoft Surface will do a lot more for the boardgame industry than the iPad will.

http://www.boardgamenews.com/index.php/boardgamenews/comment...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
elementary
msg tools

Playing with hidden information seems close to impossible.

Catan can be fun with open resources, but it needs hidden dev cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good for Agricola, where the # of components and table space can be staggering

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Burke
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I got to play with Microsoft Surface at Disneyland last week and I knew it would be great for games some day. I think the graphics on that demo were to big though. Surface can display a better resolution than that!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Siobhan Beeman
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
elementary wrote:

Not at all. You cup your hand on Surface, and it displays your hidden cards in the space concealed from the other players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fabozz wrote:
elementary wrote:

Not at all. You cup your hand on Surface, and it displays your hidden cards in the space concealed from the other players.
But then you gotta do that for most of the game? I hope there's some option to hide the cards while you walk away.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Marysville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Though here at journey's end I lie in darkness buried deep, beyond all towers strong and high, beyond all mountains steep, above all shadows rides the Sun, and Stars forever dwell: I will not say the Day is done, nor bid the Stars farewell.
mbmbmbmbmb
ackmondual wrote:
Fabozz wrote:
elementary wrote:

But then you gotta do that for most of the game? I hope there's some option to hide the cards while you walk away.

You can see in the video they press something in order to see their cards, so they are only flipped up when you want them to be.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil
Germany
Bremen
Bremen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also why not simply put a paper stand on the table that hides your stuff from the other players?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JoeyNine
United States
Tinton Falls
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This would be amazing for power grid. Everyone can have a copy of the power plants in front of them and take away a lot of the time involved between turns setting everything up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Downs
United States
Granville
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ackmondual wrote:
Fabozz wrote:
elementary wrote:

From what I saw at Origins, this is exactly what happens. Using your hand is what reveals the cards, remove your hand, and the cards are hidden. It seemed pretty cool... but I would rather play with bits

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Berkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Another video that shows more of the awesome. They have improved the cover-the-cards-with-your-hand thing with a 'visor' for each player. The clear dice are so cool. And they say they plan to make more boardgames like this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.