13 Posts

All Things Zombie: The Boardgame» Forums » Rules

Subject: Wanting to charge, entering buildings and movement rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
dan winter
Australia
flag msg tools
Thanks to everyone who has posted rule clarifications here - I have spent a couple of days trolling through the forum to get some tips. However I do have a couple of questions that remain...

1. Regarding wanting to charge:

I am in melee with 2 zombies. Upon activating I back out of the hex, fire and kill 1 zombie. Then, wanting to move back into the hex, I take a wanting to charge test, pass it, and then melee with the remaining zombie.

Is this allowable?

2. Regarding entering a building:

I have 5 movement points and am next to a building. I spend 2 movement points to enter. I find 2 zombies and win the surprise. I back out of the hex, using another movement point. I then fire, killing 1 zombie. I then move back into the building, using my remaining 2 movement points. I pass a wanting to charge test, and then melee with the remaining zombie.

Is this allowable?

Thanks in advance!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Bourgeois
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

In both cases I'm under the impression that instigating a ranged attack actually uses up your action. You are allowed movement and an action and the first listed action I think is using a ranged attack.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dan winter
Australia
flag msg tools
Thanks for the quick reply Mike. I was under the impression you could break up your movement and use an action before completing your movement. In both my examples it feels like the survivor has a pretty good deal, so I expect something must be wrong!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Regarding wanting to charge:

I am in melee with 2 zombies. Upon activating I back out of the hex, fire and kill 1 zombie. Then, wanting to move back into the hex, I take a wanting to charge test, pass it, and then melee with the remaining zombie.

Is this allowable?

It’s not, because firing and attempting to charge are two separate actions. You can only perform one action per activation, though you can do that action at anytime during movement (except testing to Fast Move must be done at the beginning of movement).

2. Regarding entering a building:

I have 5 movement points and am next to a building. I spend 2 movement points to enter. I find 2 zombies and win the surprise. I back out of the hex, using another movement point. I then fire, killing 1 zombie. I then move back into the building, using my remaining 2 movement points. I pass a wanting to charge test, and then melee with the remaining zombie.

Nope, because backing out of the hex ends your movement. And, you can’t combine firing and charging, as stated above.

zombothulu wrote:
Thanks for the quick reply Mike. I was under the impression you could break up your movement and use an action before completing your movement. In both my examples it feels like the survivor has a pretty good deal, so I expect something must be wrong!

Having both melee and backing out end the survivor’s movement is not fully stated in the rulebook. But, both have been clarified by Mark Walker. Otherwise, the survivor’s are doing too much in one turn, and it gets really complicated trying to cover all the possible situations.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Schaller
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Just a quick clarification (in case it isn't already clear)- If you surprise zombies in a building and choose to back out, you must back out into the hex you entered the building from. This doesn't cost any movement points, so you can back out even if you used your last MP entering the building. However, this ends your activation. Even if you have MPs remaining, you can't move any more hexes than that one, nor can you take an action, even if you haven't already used your action that turn.

Of course, if you start your activation in the same hex as zombies, you can move out freely using your movement points and still take an action.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
All good, Brett.

And, just between us, I think the most time consuming action of all would be Searching. Seems strange a survivor can Search, and then continue moving. Lemme see...enter a building, blow away all the zombies in the building, search the building, move into an adjacent building, blow away some more zombies, and then melee the rest. All in one turn!?surprise

I do it, but I feel guilty for it.whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dan winter
Australia
flag msg tools
Woah! I wouldn't have told anyone if I was doing that!
;-)

search = action 1
blow away zombies = 1 action (you can't kill more than 1 in melee, right?)
search = 1 action
move = ok
blow away more zombies = 1 action (ranged weapon again?)
then melee?!

that's 4 actions on my count!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dan winter
Australia
flag msg tools
Thanks for the clarification, Mark. I knew something was up. So in future I will back out, fire, then keep running!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Gadgaard
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ZombieMark wrote:
All good, Brett.

And, just between us, I think the most time consuming action of all would be Searching. Seems strange a survivor can Search, and then continue moving. Lemme see...enter a building, blow away all the zombies in the building, search the building, move into an adjacent building, blow away some more zombies, and then melee the rest. All in one turn!?surprise

I do it, but I feel guilty for it.whistle

Entering a building is movement.
Blowing away the zombies is a reaction (not an action) to not being surprised.
Searching the building is the action of the activation (and only possible if all Zeds were cleared out by the reactive shots).
Moving into an adjacent building is the use of remaining movement points.
Blowing away some more zombies is again a reaction to not being surprised.
Meleeing the rest is the result of not blowing away all of them which ends the survivors activation.

It's all within the rules.
I think the difficult part about the chain reaction ruleset (the core of both ATZ games and a host of other games too) is that there is the limited things you can do on your own turn, with which you are accustomed from almost all other games, but then there is also all the things that you actually get to do as a reaction to what happens around you. Reactions can make you do things that you can't do by simple action. You can get additional shots or even movement, i.e. from fleeing.

It really is very different from Igo-Ugo, and once you get into survivor vs. survivor you can get some really complex chain reactions.
One survivors action can cause a lot of other survivors to react and do a lot of stuff "out of turn" so to speak.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
All done with ONE Action in one turn. Very well put, Dennis.

zombothulu wrote:
Thanks for the clarification, Mark. I knew something was up. So in future I will back out, fire, then keep running!

Yep, just not in one turn. Backing out ends the survivor's activation. Next turn, he can shoot and scoot, or the zombies activate first, and he becomes brain salad.zombiesurprisezombie

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex DeGuy
Belarus
Gomel
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Brett Schaller wrote:
Just a quick clarification (in case it isn't already clear)- If you surprise zombies in a building and choose to back out, you must back out into the hex you entered the building from.

Adjacent hex or the hex from where I started my movement?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Gadgaard
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Adjacent to the building hex, and the last one occupied before entering.
In other words, after backing out you end your activation adjacent to the building.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Schaller
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Adjacent hex - the last hex you were in before actually entering the building.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.