Popular Tags: [View All]
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
Does anyone know of a nice video editor (preferably open-source or otherwise free) for Linux? Specifically Ubuntu?

I've found one called Kino that looks neat. But one thing I want to do is be able to superimpose things on the video, like captions, images, etc. For instance, adding an arrow to point to something in a video or something.

If there isn't anything like that for Linux, what about Windows XP (or maybe even Windows 7)? I can't exactly afford high-end software right now, especially just for hobby stuff (family videos, etc), but I was just curious if anyone knew of anything. It may be just wishful thinking, though

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pronoblem baalberith
United States
Pleasantville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Is it just me or do my balls itch?
mbmbmbmbmb
The only reason I boot to Windows is to use Adobe Premiere. I know it and like using it and have used it since exploring the Linux options and finding them not up to snuff. I have only used Cinelerra and that was more than five years ago, but now it has matured and is a Ubuntu package... looks easy to install and use. I might want to give these a try again:

Cinelerra

Avidmux

Kino

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome, thanks. I'll give those a look. I've been playing with Kino, and I discovered there is an Image Overlay option, though it's not very robust (the "animation" options it gives are very simplistic).

I'll give the other two a look and see as well.

Out of curiosity, how much is Adobe Premier? I'm guessing, if Photoshop and Acrobat are indicators, it's probably several hundred dollars?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
I used to use kino, but it would crash a lot on me. I switched to avidmux, and I'm happy with it, but it is very simplistic; great for cutting and splicing, and transcoding the video into a new format, but not much else. Beyond that, I don't know much, so I guess listen to pronoblem.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pronoblem baalberith
United States
Pleasantville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sigmazero13 wrote:
Out of curiosity, how much is Adobe Premier? I'm guessing, if Photoshop and Acrobat are indicators, it's probably several hundred dollars?

I have an older version... CS4 and CS5 are the most recent and go for $300-500, prior editions go for less.

wmshub wrote:
I don't know much, so I guess listen to pronoblem.

I am a hack with video... and you've used the free / oss versions and I haven't... if you say avidmux works I'd go for it. I probably should try these... Premier might be more than I need.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Hamzy
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
Ace race, baby!
badge
I, for one, welcome your mouse pointer.
mbmbmbmbmb
I am having fun running Adobe Premiere CS5. It handles native Canon 7D video files seamlessly. It also just works. I doubt the Linux versions are there yet. devil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pronoblem baalberith
United States
Pleasantville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hamzy wrote:
I doubt the Linux versions are there yet.

If talking film making and CGI then Linux/BSD has been the leader for ten years now with Weta, Cameron Pixar and Dreamworks investing heavily, so it is a surprise we have not seen a good consumer non-linear editing program. Though, Cinelerra does look promising...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.