Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
8 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » OLD BGGBlogs (do not use)

Subject: Number of players for games. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Richard Smith
Canada
Coquitlam
B.C.
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One thing that I liked was that BGG used to have a rating for how many players this game played best with. Sadly it has vanished in the mists of time. For example, you could quickly see that a game played best with 4 people.

Anyone know why this useful feature was pulled?

Warm regards, Rick

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sterling Babcock
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
admin
Winkles is here to help!
badge
Please let me know how I can help you.
mbmbmbmbmb
Best with . . .
The best with would be very nice to have, but is subjective. I do not remember it ever being available on a per game basis.

If your curious, I have been collecting this information on "Best with x people" from various geeklists. Check my games owned list for the comments showing the "Best with" entries.

There ought to be a better place for me to put that information than in the comments, but at least that exports to my database of games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ɹǝsɐɹɟ
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't remember this being a feature either
other than as subjective comments in various lists or articles about the individual games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Smith
Canada
Coquitlam
B.C.
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not exactly a rating...
It was not a rating per say, but in 'collection' where you rate the game a place where you could say how many people this game was good for. (It was beside the own check box, the add to wish list check box, etc.)
I was always careful to add this information on the games that I rated and was disapointed that the ability to do so went away. If a game is much better (or worse) with some number of players I try to add a comment to my rating.

Regards, Rick

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Aquino
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
Meanwhile there is "75 GeekLists About Number Of Players: 2,3,4,5,6,7,8" http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist.php3?action=view&listi...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Naomi Dushay
United States
Redwood City
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's subjective, no?
One of the things that's struck me as I've read bgg content is that one person's "fabulous" is another persons "yuck." Some people like vanilla Settlers with 4 players, some people hate it (too crowded).

Nevertheless, I would love to see this information. I'm always wondering things like: Does it really work for 2? Does it really scale up to 5? Is it ideal for 3? A completely different animal at 6 than at 2? It would be cool if there was a distinct place for this info. Even better if you could find out how many say it's best at 3, or the distribution of answers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ɹǝsɐɹɟ
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
In the collection bit?
Ah well it presumably went sometime before September 2003 when I found BGG because I don't remember seeing it.

Yes it is subjective, but then again so are the ratings. I see no particular problem with that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Smith
Canada
Coquitlam
B.C.
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
opinions, opinions.
Naomi:
I agree that some people think a game works best with 3 to 4, where as others like 4 to 6. If you had a lot of data you could average it. The problem is that trying to average ranges is a lot tougher problem from a user interface standpoint than averaging a single number.

You could have a number of boxes: "Plays best with 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8to10, 11to15, 16orMore" People can check which ever boxes they want and then the program just shows a histogram of the votes.

Such a system would even work for those games that have two sweet spots. (Play well with 2 people or well with 5 but nothing in the middle.) Such a game is mighty rare (I can't think of any off hand, might make a cool geek list...). On the other hand, a game might end up with that distribution if there were a couple different STYLES of playing it.

(Scrabble can be played very defensively when you try to not let the other player get a big score, or hyper agressively where you do not care. In the aggressive games, play is much faster and the game works well with more players; in the defensive game there is so much down time, I would not want to play it with more than 3 people. The designer of Scrabble stated that they always play the fast aggressive game.)

Thanks to everyone who has replied!!!

Rick

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.