Derek Anderson
United States
Ennis
Montana
flag msg tools
There is nothing better than playing board games with my 4 sons!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I purchased the new D&D Master Set this past Saturday at Free RPG Day. I had been putting off getting the new D&D stuff because I thought I was going to be a bit disappointed in the new D&D stuff for a number of reasons I won't go into here.

But, lately I have been gaming with my 7 year old, and we have been putting a lot of time into new games and expanding his exposure to games, when he saw this Master Set on the shelf he was really excited "Wow, Daddy, look! A new HeroScape Set!".

It was at that moment I realized that I was going to give the new set a fair chance and I purchased it. I am glad I did, we had a great time, and the new stuff mixed in perfectly with the stuff we already had.

We have been playing the basic game since he was 5 years old, so he has a good understanding of the game and how it works, I let him build a decent size board and we split up the minis, he liked the look of the Drow and the Dragon, so we went from there.

I decided that this would be a good chance to start using the more advanced rules, and he was excited that some of the guys had more life and we had to track damage. The game was a lot of fun and I had to help him with the special abilities because it takes him too long to read so much text, but he has an excellent memory, so after using something a few times he was easily able to start remembering who was able to do what and for the time being I think it will be best to slowly add new characters into the game so he can better remember who can do what.

All in all the game was fun (he won), the new D&D minis are pretty cool and despite being a bit smaller they fit right in along side the older HeroScape stuff. I know a lot of people have not purchased the new stuff because of this, but it really wasn't an issue here. It SEEMED much worse talking about it on the net, but when actually doing it, it isn't bad.

I know there is an issue with the new minis having slightly smaller bases, but after looking closely at comparison photos on the web, it isn't too big of a deal for me and I think I can look past it with no problems.

D.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anders Pedersen
Denmark
Copenhagen N.
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cardboard Carnage wrote:
All in all the game was fun (he won), the new D&D minis are pretty cool and despite being a bit smaller they fit right in along side the older HeroScape stuff. I know a lot of people have not purchased the new stuff because of this, but it really wasn't an issue here. It SEEMED much worse talking about it on the net, but when actually doing it, it isn't bad.

That is probably the best description of the problem - it seems far worse than it is. Along that line, I'm also pretty sure we can say that it only seems like a lot of people have not bought the new Master Set.
The problems are really not that big and even on Heroscapers, there finally seems to be a consensus of thing being OK, under the current circumstances.

But it is good to hear you bought the game and found it fun.
I am personally very impressed by how well the set has turned out. There is good variation in the scenarios, and the units have great synergies. As a campaign, this set is far superior to Swarm of the Marro.
Don't forget to try the online scenarios as well! They are quite fun. Especially "Crazy Troll".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Anderson
United States
Ennis
Montana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Exactly! It seems far worse than it is, but when you get them out on the table, they fit right into the older figures and you don't even really think about any of the differences.

D.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S. Deniz Bucak
United States
Havertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
As Above, So Below
badge
My books are forgeries. Nobody wrote them. - Philip K. Dick
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the report. My 9 y.o. son is busily setting up an underdark scenario in the basement right now, so we can play when I get home from work. He sez he's going to take it easy on me this time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.