Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
18 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » OLD BGGBlogs (do not use)

Subject: Best box art rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve H
United States
Addison
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is it me, or do you delve to dream...

while glancing at Attika, do you just want to run down hill into the waters off Euboia, with horns and accompnyment of skitting banner into the Aegean Sea under the flag of Phillipos; his phalanx bearers forming as those barbarians from Athethia and Norterners wash ashore..

In terms of game artwork on the box top, what is your favorite box? I also like Mystery Rummy: Jack the Ripper

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve H
United States
Addison
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TtR
and Ticket to Ride. Also AH Panzer...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Thorp
United States
Granite Falls
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
"Come on! Come on! Come and get it, baby! Come on! I don't got all day! Come on! Come on! Come on you bastard! Come on, you too! Oh, you want some of this? "
mbmbmbmbmb
My favorite box art
Currently, my favorite box art is from the Settlers of Catan series. That guy (can't remember his name) knows how to paint a lady!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Low
Australia
Footscray
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Power Grid!
Power Grid all the way. 2nd Edition of course.

The typography is excellent. Well balanced.

The devil is in the details as they say:

Even the Rio Grande Logo is redesigned to match the theme/design of the ox as are all the logos featuring play time, game player capacity, etc.

Heck, even the inner spine of the box is littered with images of power plants.

Let's not begin to talk about the double sided board...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Foret
United States
Detroit
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Samurai
Samurai would have to get my vote. I think the graphic design is stunning on that oversized box.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shin Yoo
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Warfrog / Phalanx
I like what Warfrog and Phalanx are doing recently. Age of Napoleon was nice. And I think the box cover of PotR definitely contains the "feel" of that era - that is, the nudity aside

I also think the new game from Essen, "Feudo", has a nice box cover as well as beautifull component arts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becky Zamborsky
United States
Berea
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the box for Martin Wallace's White Lotus game is fantastic. Not only is it beautiful, bonus points for looking like a giant book.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Penny
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
white lotus
I think white lotus has a nice box cover too, seems like an interesting game.
I like the box art of Web of Power. kiss

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Read the rulebook, plan for all contingencies, and…read the rulebook again.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fortress America
Gets my vote. And you can't go wrong with either the Saddam Hussein or the Old Che Guevera box top!

Games Workshop also has those wonderfully lurid, grimy, gory, colorful, and LOUD boxtops for many of their products. (So loud, you can almost hear the guns blazing and the Orkz screaming!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jean-François Lassonde
Canada
Laval
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I like Industria's box very much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ɹǝsɐɹɟ
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
Generally speaking I rarely look at Box Art. The old adage is "Don't judge a book by its cover". It is also true with games.

When I am buying a game it will usually come down to three options:
1) I will be buying it sight unseen so it doesn't matter, or
2) There is only the one edition so again it doesn't matter about the box art, or
3) There are two different editions and I want to make sure I get company X's edition instead of company Y's. This may involve looking at the box art, but usually it just involves reading the publisher's name off the side of the box.

When pulling a game off the shelf again I don't look at the art, just the name on the side of the box. When it hits the table the lid comes off and under the bottom so or up the end of the table upside down so the box art has vanished from sight.

Quite often I haven't even looked at the box art until spurred to by a Geeklist, Geeklist comment or a journal entry like this meeple

I never noticed the cover of Settlers of Catan until a Geeklist comment talked about it.

I would be hard pressed to describe what was on the box cover of most of my games, although I could probably bore you to tears about what is in the box and what happened the last time I played it meeple

All the above said, I must say that the FF games have great boxes. Power Grid and Finstere Flure being the two that I own.

Magnificent attention to detail down to changing the icons for number of players, recommended age and playing time. All around geat work - although for the life of me I still don't remember what is actually pictured on the cover of Power Grid. It's probably a power plant or ten, but I just don't look!

Now box fart is a whole other issue that I actually created a GeekList for. That is something I notice about game boxes meeple

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist.php3?action=view&listi...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Smith
Canada
Coquitlam
B.C.
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hacker
I always thought the cover art for Hacker was perfect for that game.

Regards, Rick

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Uherske
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mb
The loudest box art in my collection is I'm the Boss. It really rips off a loud one whenever one pulls the lid off.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
June King
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
Bring me her heart in this box.
mbmbmbmbmb
Goldland had gorgeous box art.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francisco J. Piña A.
Chile
Calama
Antofagasta
flag msg tools
badge
Insert any witty/stupid overtext you can think of here... I got nothing
mbmbmbmbmb
How about the Games Workshop boxed sets artwork? They're outstanging!

I also like the Battle Cry box art, really a nice collage of old pictures

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L Z
Italy
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
O Zoo Le Mio. gulp

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kane Klenko
United States
Ridgeway
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A few of my favorites (not in any kind of order) ...

Amun-Re - I don't know, just something about it catches my eye.

Bohnanza - The Garden Bean was the perfect choice for the cover

Durch Die Wüste - German edition only. Beautiful artwork. The English edition is ugly. The new one that's coming out is much much nicer though.

Dvonn - Just cool.

Power Grid - Retro. Different.

Tikal - It immediately catches your eye and makes you wonder what kind of adventure is in the box.

Web of Power - It's odd, but it's probably my favorite.

Maharaja - I don't really care about the box art on this one, but the board is awesome. Stand back a few feet from the board and squint your eyes. Go ahead. Do it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Uherske
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Jeez, not a single straight man stepped forward to chastise me. . .

"Box ART, Nigel, Box ART. . . "

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.