Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
9 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » OLD BGGBlogs (do not use)

Subject: I like games with money. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Teacher Fletcher
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What I mean is, I like games where the end condition is to end up with the most money, such as Acquire, Modern Art, and Intrige. I like that the "victory points" in these games are also the very things you must risk and use in order to win.

I am somewhat surprised because I am not a money-oriented person in real life. I'm not business-oriented and I don't like calculating figures. Still, I love these games.

A lot of it probably stems from my love of Poker.

Okay, so if I love these money games, which ones should I try next?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hans Persson
Sweden
Linköping
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Medici?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Halloween Jack
Belgium
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
Last Chance

Monopoly cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrés Herranz
Spain
Madrid
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Perhaps a good betting game. I think "Royal Turf" is a great one and you can find it for a low prize. A blast with non gamers and it can be modified to allow betting with real money.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Wood
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you like Acquire, give Shark a try. I played it for the first time this weekend and had a great time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nasty McHaggis
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
I'm pouring all of my points in sarcasm.
badge
Box next to hand.
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting! I experienced a similar duality when my wife and I played Dark Age of Camelot (an MMORPG). Of of the avenues you could take in the game was developing a skill in a particular tradeskill. I chose weaponcrafting, which would allow me to make high quality swords, axes and such for myself and friends.

As my skill increased (as a result of untold hours of mind-numbing button mashing), the demand for that skill increased accordingly. I quickly realized that I could make quite a profit from the sale of these weapons to people (player characters) in the game. From that point on, 90% of my focus in the game was as a weaponcrafter for hire. I loved dealing with customers, getting references, and building my fortune (which ended up being considerable).

In real life, I absolutely hate dealing with business matters. My brain just shuts down. I am sufficiently frugal with my money, abide by my budget, pay my bills on time...but beyond that, I couldn't care less.

Weird.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Snooze Fest
United States
Hillsborough
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
We love our pups!! Misu, RIP 28 Nov 2010. Tikka, RIP 11 Aug 2011.
mbmbmbmbmb
For something pretty light ...
you could try Samarkand. Fun little game, although we don't seem to play it as much now as we did when we first got the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shin Yoo
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting indeed. My wife claims that she's better at games with money than those without. And I think she is actually

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom "Snicker Daddy" Pancoast
United States
Henrico
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Funny you should mention that
Last Chance

Monopoly

It's funny you mention that. When I started getting into BoardGames, I had a problem with games that had play money. Games with chips or coins didn't seem to bother me at all. It was also a subconscious thing and I couldn't quite put my finger on the cause. I was initially reluctant to try St Petersburg during the last Origins because of it, but fortunately I tried it anyway.

I have reflected on my reluctance since then, and I am pretty sure it was from a deep rooted aversion to Monopoly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.