GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,702 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
19 Days Left

Support:

Daniel Shultz
United States
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
What's the method people use to make the wonderful pieces which start in cardboard when you get your game and you must pop out after opening. Is it laser cut cardboard?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Saint Joseph
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
I would do all the things I have ever dreamed of doing. I would love to become a professional whistler.I'm pretty amazing at it now, but I wanna get, like, even better. Make my living out of it.
badge
Bffffttt, Pffffttt, Buuuuurtt........
mbmbmbmbmb
guitarsolointhewind wrote:
What's the method people use to make the wonderful pieces which start in cardboard when you get your game and you must pop out after opening. Is it laser cut cardboard?
For large production scale quantities, I don't believe anyone really uses laser cutting. Too slow. Instead they use die cutting.

It is possible to purchase a small custom die and machine to push it through your material, but it still isn't cheap. *edit* - Found them - Ellison Die Machines
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Hayes
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"Gargoyle's Quest" Gameboy, 1990
mbmbmbmbmb
Those are die cut. Die cutting is not something a person can do at home. It requires casting specially designed metal dies unique to your tokens.

There are plenty of ways to make comparable pieces at home, though. The exact process can change depending on the shape of your tokens, but the general steps involve printing the images of your tokens on paper, gluing that paper to some thick board, then cutting out the pieces.

There are a few tutorials on the subject here on BGG. I can link you to the one I made on creating circular tokens but I'm afraid I don't have any others saved. Perhaps someone else can link to tutorials on making nice tokens, counters, or chits?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Kollross
Canada
Carvel
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
Pew pew pew!!!
badge
I'm a member of the Game Artisans of Canada
mbmbmbmbmb
You can use one of these:

http://www.factory-express.com/paper_cutters/AccuCut_Mark_IV...

I bought one of these:

Here is one in action (not mine)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CM D
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I have used custom dies before. I had one 5 mm x 30(?) mm. It was meant to used with a press. However it worked very well by simply aligning it and hitting it with a hammer. I only used it on paper, never on card stock or any type of board. I think it probably would have worked just fine on thicker material, up to a point.

As I recall, the die wasn't that expensive ($50-100). The die was a series of sharp metal cutting edges embedded in a block of wood. Inside the die was some rubber to push the cut material back out. While this method would certainly be slow, it probably would be usable to build a few prototypes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas Glisson
Canada
Alberta
flag msg tools
www.scottsigler.com/gfl
badge
I'm gonna keep signing my posts so just let it go already.
mbmbmbmbmb
MK-Ultra71 wrote:
You can use one of these:

http://www.factory-express.com/paper_cutters/AccuCut_Mark_IV...

I bought one of these:

You Lie! Dude, I WILL ride up there to see that thing work! LOL

Kraken Fan #69
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
eric hanuise
Belgium
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
As mentioned, the process is called die cutting, or more precisely 'steel rule die cutting'. (and sometimes "flat press cutting").

The result (cut cardboard) is usually referred to as a 'flat' or 'punchboard'.

For small runs, Ellisson is the way to go : they will make a die according to your design (not cheap). you can cut cardboard up to about 1.5mm thick with these.
The process would be as VPG's : print on adhesive labels, stick to cardboard (or print to paper and spray-glue mout on cardboard), then die cut.
Extended example : http://www.viktorygame.com/viktoryiihistory/

If you intend to make 1000 or more flats using the same design, a game manufacturing company or a cardboard company (not a regular printer) will be able to design a custom die for you based on your design (a worker will assemble steel blades on a wooden panel, matching your design. This is manual labor, qualified/precision, so it ain't cheap.)

When designing your layout keep in mind that you should have small 'holding points' around each shape so all holds together. Otherwise you'll be charged extra because of the work of picking up all the parts after each 'punch'. (look at the counter sheets of some games on the BGG pics, any game from Avalon Hill or SPI should be a good example.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Kollross
Canada
Carvel
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
Pew pew pew!!!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Its a Chandler and Price 10x15 Letterpress and the pic is it sitting in my garage. It was used previously to die cut decals in a sign shop in Leduc, AB. I had a trucking company ship it to me and my neighbor (who owns a wire cable company) unloaded it for me in exchange for some pulled pork (BBQ being my other hobby).

I'll post a pic with my ugly mug next to it.

How far to you live from Edmonton?

To be fair the top pic is mine but the Youtube video was just to show one in action.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas Glisson
Canada
Alberta
flag msg tools
www.scottsigler.com/gfl
badge
I'm gonna keep signing my posts so just let it go already.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm near Brooks, AB. Halfway between Calgary and Medicine Hat. Pulled Pork?! Nothing better after a long bike ride than bar-b-q! LOL Seriously this is cool though! Have you managed to use it yet? where do you get dies? Have trouble setting up files to match the dies?

Wicked cool. By the way, no need for the money shot. I believe you. It's just so cool!

Kraken Fan #69

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Kollross
Canada
Carvel
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
Pew pew pew!!!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
krakenfan69 wrote:
I'm near Brooks, AB. Halfway between Calgary and Medicine Hat. Pulled Pork?! Nothing better after a long bike ride than bar-b-q! LOL Seriously this is cool though! Have you managed to use it yet? where do you get dies? Have trouble setting up files to match the dies?

Wicked cool. By the way, no need for the money shot. I believe you. It's just so cool!

Kraken Fan #69

It came with over 100 dies. Some obviously were the outline of some logo but others are very usable. Like this one:

There are a ton of squares, rectangles and a variety of circles as well as crests/shields, letters, numbers ects. I need to figure out how to make templates for the various dies. I think scanning them and then editing the image with photoshop might work.

We are building a new house so the garage it sits in has been without power for 5 months so I can't play yet. I already spoke with the electrician and he is going to do the hook up for the press on the side.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.