Subject: Tobago VS Forbidden Island? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kumar
United States
Hawaii
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played either. I was hoping to get some feedback on this though, as I am trying to decide which one to get. My friends and I have never played a cooperative game before. So "Forbidden Island" could be hit or miss. "Tobago" just looks so damn nice, but watching videos on it... It doesn't really look like a very exciting game... Alright, well my friends and I like Settlers of Catan, and Carcassonne, I like to dive a little deeper and "geekier" sometimes but I rarely get to, because everyone else are mainly light gamers looking for a bit of friendly competition, and don't really want to use their brains too much. So if you have any recommendations do tell!

Thank You!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael J
United States
Folsom
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Get Pandemic or Ghost Stories before trying Forbidden Island. The latter is a simplistic version of Pandemic, but not nearly as deep or thematic. For your first coop experience, Pandemic is a no-brainer. It has tension, luck, and tough decision making, without feeling heavy or difficult to learn. Ghost Stories, on the other hand, will be Geekier and tougher to teach.

Tobago is OK, but I don't think it's exciting. I had it, tried it, and then traded it. It has a neat mechanic with its reverse map building, but the luck of the treasure draw kills what could otherwise be a cutthroat strategic experience. It definitely is one of the prettiest games out there, and that makes it easy to get others to try it, however.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Brichs
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It depends on your preferences. They are very different games; the only thing they have in common is the fact that theyr'e about hunting treasure.

Tobago is a deduction game, so if you're a fan of Clue (Cluedo for our European friends), then go with Tobago.

How experienced is your gaming group? And how old? If you play with your family (both children and the elders), go with Forbidden Island. if you play with more experienced gamers, then - as Michael J said - go with Pandemic! Pandemic is a more adult version of Forbidden Island.

To be Honest, the only reason I bought Forbidden Island for myself, is because our gaming group has Pandemic; and because I expect to play with my nephews in a couple of years, and also to play with other family members, and unexperienced gamers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph T
United States
Signal Hill
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tobago is not a deduction game. Rather it's an introduction to deductive thinking. In a way it's also a game for young people because the deductions you make aid you only incrementally. I would say Forbidden Island is the more exciting game of the two. While Pandemic is suggested, I'd say Forbidden Island is nearly as good and half the price, so just pick up Forbidden Island.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The price disparity is quite high. I had the same predicament as you trying to decide which to get. Tobago looks amazing, but as more and more people play I see the rating start to dwindle, and the fact that it doesn't support 2 as well turned me off for now. I went with Forbidden Island even though I already own Pandemic. After a few solo plays the game may be a tad easier than pandemic but in my opinion, I like the theme much better than in Pandemic, and I think casual gamers would agree. Plus with a price point at just over $11 dollars, how can you go wrong?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pHr0sT wrote:
Tobago ..., and the fact that it doesn't support 2 as well turned me off for now.

Where'd that come from? The two player game of Tobabo is excellent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
UnknownParkerBrother wrote:
pHr0sT wrote:
Tobago ..., and the fact that it doesn't support 2 as well turned me off for now.

Where'd that come from? The two player game of Tobabo is excellent.

I've repeatedly read that the game of 2 players lacks tension and is not very fun. I haven't played it myself but definitely want to, i'm not saying it's horrible for two, I just think Forbidden Island is the better game for 2. For 4 players, it could be different, haven't tested it out.

One thing I like to do when deciding between two games is to look at people's personal comments on the game. Read through the first few pages, then skip to the end where the ratings and significantly lower, 4-6 range and see why people have rated them like that. Some good info comes from doing this I think!

Whichever way you go i'm sure you'll be happy with your decision!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pHr0sT wrote:
I've repeatedly read that the game of 2 players lacks tension and is not very fun.

Must be the same guy talking a lot, because general opinion overall is that this is fine with two players. One thread directly on it: With two players

I looked through the comments, very few entries talk about it. Mostly they're from people who don't find the game fun anyway, 2 or 4 doesn't make a difference.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One example, lack of tension in a 3 player game: Tobago: Good enough for SdJ but missing something..

The poll on the main page:
Best with 4 then 3 then 2
Recommended with 3 then 2
Not recommended with 2 players 28.2% of votes...

Played 2player at Noorderspel. We enjoyed ourselves, but there wasn't a lot of tension in the game, even though there was only a 2 point difference in our scores... Might be good as a gateway, too light for us.

After messing around solo it appeared nice but after a 2 player game it just didn't click the way I thought it would.

The game doesn't work well with two players. When it's easy for treasures to be finished completely by one player, the results are far too varied -- when one player gets a curse, the other gets 6,6,5, what can you do?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kumar
United States
Hawaii
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Everybody!
Thanks everyone, I am kind of new around here, and you guys are very helpful. You guys gave me a lot of good suggestions and insight.

I told some of my friends about "Pandemic" and a lot of them were turned off by the theme of it. I think its a great theme. They thought it might be kind of boring. Oh well... their loss... I guess I'll just go and play it on Brettspielwelt.com hehe.

In closing, I decided to order "Forbidden Island." It looks fun, exciting and the price was too good to pass up. I have scratched "Tobago" off my list.

Now I am really considering "Ghost Stories"now as well, I think that looks really cool. And as I was saying before, I was enamored with how good "Tobago" looked. "Ghost Stories" looks amazing also... probably even better than "Tobago." Lots of nice colors and graphics... And heck you can even play by yourself!

Just what I needed; An excuse to say: "Hey, leave me alone... I'm playing with myself!"

Anyways, thanks again everybody! I'm sure you'll see more of me! so, I'll apologize in advance
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Webb Space Telescope in 2018!
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mb
Shaun,
I'm not sure if you're still in this thread, but I think FI was a good choice, especially since your friends were turned off by the Pandemic theme. FI is fun and super cheap. Also short - if they don't like it, you've only lost 30 minutes. But if they can enjoy a light game, I bet they'll like FI.

If they love FI, then you can spring Pandemic on them. "It's a lot like FI, with a little more strategy...."

FI can be played solitaire. Here's a solitaire variant I suggested:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/528072/solitaire-attempt...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.