GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,802 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
19 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
18 Posts

War of the Ring Collector's Edition» Forums » General

Subject: Honest advice? Am I going to regret it? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tazar Yoot
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm really really torn on whether or not I should get a copy of this, ($780 bucks +20 bucks shipping). I want it bad, but it's also a lot of money, more than I've ever spent on a game. I've never played the game before and I don't know much about it other than what I've read here, but I'm a LoTR fan and this simply looks beautiful.

My girlfriend who isn't a gamer has offered to put in $200 bucks and call it an early Christmas gift which helps me not feel so guilty about making such a big purchase, but none the less I can't help but feel a bit hesitant! Can I justify spending so much money on a board game?

I'm not rich by any stretch but I'm doing well enough and the purchase wont honestly set me back. My expenses in life are minimal at the moment. I can put some extra money into savings the next two months and I'll be solid.

My main question is... When I get this in my hands will I be satisfied with my purchase? Will I enjoy it as much as I'm hoping I will.

Or

Will I open it and second guess whether the game was worth the price I paid for it? Will I feel had?

One last question: Will I be comfortable taking this game out and playing it? Or is this a viewing piece only, which will never see the gaming table? Is it too delicate to actual play with?

I would GREATLY appreciate any feedback my fellow geeks could give me, I know there are not solid answers and that only I can really know what's right for me, but at little advice never hurt anyone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hoffman
United States
Cortlandt Manor
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TazarYoot wrote:
My girlfriend who isn't a gamer

This is, possibly, the most important part of your post.

Which is to say, I only bought my copy because I knew my wife would play it with me. She is my most consistent partner for two-player games and, as much as I wanted it, if she wasn't game I wouldn't have spent the money.

Obviously, your situation may be different but the question is this: do you have a person or persons to play it with? WoTR is not a short game and it takes up a ton of space. I don't get my copy out on "gaming nights" and, quite frankly, if I'm going to get to play it with someone other than my wife (i.e., the person who lives with me) I have to actively arrange a time to play it and a person to play it with.

If you don't have that built in, I'd say skip it.

However, if you DO have someone to play it with, it is a top notch production. If you think you'll play it enough you don't feel like a schmuck dropping $800.00 on a single game, pull the trigger. IF you're buying it as a showpiece, that's another story entirely.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hey, I've created a video channel! Hover over my avatar to get more info! :) - Josh -
Canada
Cambridge
Ontario
flag msg tools
My video channel has a Facebook page - Find it by searching "Josh Yaks page" on Facebook
badge
Find my video channel on YouTube as "Josh Yaks"!
mbmbmbmbmb
War of the Ring (First Edition) was my favourite board game of all time prior to the release of the Collector's Edition, and I have a wife who is a gamer and who enjoys playing it with me. Even still, I very hesitantly paid just over $400.00 Canadian for it, but after opening up the game I realized it was an absolute steal even at $400.00. However, I would NOT have purchased the game if I had had to pay $800.00 for it!

My advice to you, since your girlfriend isn't a gamer (as sweet as she is to support your desires!), and particularly since you've never played the game, is to take that $800.00 and spend it on about 16 games you know you'd love, including a few quick 'n' easy ones that your girlfriend might even enjoy playing with you.

At the very least, play the original War of the Ring first to see if you enjoy it, and if you do love it enough to spend a small fortune on it, determine if you have at least one other opponent who would enjoy playing this very long and complex game with you.

And for the love of all that is holy, do NOT purchase an $800.00 display piece!! If you choose to disregard my advice and purchase the game, make sure you play the hell out if it!

And that's my (Canadian currency.)

Happy gaming!!

Edit: It looks like another very wise user posted some rather similar advice while I was typing this up!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Jackie McLean - Let Freedom Ring
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
These are questions that can only be answered by you, or by someone who knows you far better than we do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John W
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TazarYoot wrote:
I would GREATLY appreciate any feedback my fellow geeks could give me, I know there are not solid answers and that only I can really know what's right for me, but at little advice never hurt anyone.
Well, you opened the feedback up to people who aren't fans of the game, so:

I think y'all are CRAZY for even thinking of purchasing it at that price.

I also find it ridiculous that there is such a wide disparity being paid for this game (what are the ranges? from $320 to $500 to $800 now?)

I saw the pictures and thought it was way overpriced at $300.... soblue
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barak Engel
United States
Oakland
CA
flag msg tools
And the Geek shall Inherit the Earth
badge
I am the unholy trinity: Agnostic, Atheist, and Skeptic.
mbmbmb
May I challenge you on something?

WHY is the collector's edition so important to you?

The game can be acquired much more cheaply, plays just as well, and has very nice production value without needing added glitz. It is beyond just serviceable, it's a joy to behold and play (especially if you take the time to paint the minis, which might be fun to do too).

Are you potentially being motivated by the scarcity in and of itself? it's a well-known phenomenon of human nature, after all, and something that marketers use to great effect (including here). The need to own something that others can't is a powerful motivator... can make your heart beat faster, your palms sweat a little, your head swirl with thoughts of the sweetness of it all, where in reality, if the item was plenty available, you would laugh your behind off with the thought of spending that much money on it. Do the mental exercise.

Anyway, just figured I'd toss it out there. When this was announced I looked at it and considered it. I had the money to buy 1, 2 - heck, 20 sets if I wanted. I didn't know whether they would be a hot item once sold out; had I predicted that, I'd have happily shelled out the money for as many sets as I could buy of course, but I'm not clairvoyant. But not for me, just for resale. From my perspective, it still holds true even though the scarcity rush is tugging... if this was plenty available right now, I still wouldn't spend $400 on it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim McCormley
United States
SD
California
flag msg tools
OUCH!
mbmbmbmbmb
TazarYoot wrote:
Can I justify spending so much money on a board game?

Can you justify spending $2000 on a trip to the Bahamas?

Quote:
When I get this in my hands will I be satisfied with my purchase?

Probably.

Quote:
Will I feel had?

Probably not.

Quote:
One last question: Will I be comfortable taking this game out and playing it?

Yep. And this is the key question.

You've absolutely got to play the game until you get your average cost per play (ACPP) down to an acceptable level. What you define as "acceptable" is up to you, but it costs about $40 (give or take) for two people to go to your garden variety two hour movie. This game takes about 3 hours to play.

I hereby declare that the ACPP for this game gets reasonable at $30 per play. You'll hit that after what, 25 plays or so?

I think you could reasonably expect to play the game 25 times over next three years, even if you don't care for it that much. And I suspect you could probably sell it used for $300 a year or so from now, if you decided you hated the game. (Which is probably pretty unlikely and you'd have to play it at LEAST three or four times to know for sure.)

Tim

P.S. Of course, I know people that don't blink an eye at paying $80 for a round of golf. You'll hit *that* ACPP after only 10 plays. Buy it. You know you want to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Boardgame
United Kingdom
Penrith
Cumbria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a luxury item. If you can only get it for $800 now, it may be worth that much to you. If you can afford to drop $800 on it, bearing in mind that if you wait and spend a bit of time hunting around you might get it cheaper, I'd suggest that it is worth whatever you are prepared to pay for it. My guess would be that you ought to be able to pick up a copy for $600, maybe less, in a few months or a year - but by then they might be trading at $1200, who knows? Some people have been happy to part with that much already.

As a LOTR fan, you'll probably like the game, but you may very well get few chances to play it. I don't have the Collectors Edition, but invested a couple hundred hours into painting my standard edition. My wife agreed to play half a dozen games because of the time I put in - we enjoyed those games, but are unlikely to play again except very occasionally. I know a few gamers who like the game and I can get the chance a couple of times a year. I hope my son will play it in 10 years time. It is still my favourite game, and I get a warm glow when I see it on the shelf.

Buying the game for $800 is quite possibly not as dumb as painting the thing yourself - plus of course you get the box, big board and cards, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I would tend to agree with those that have suggested that we are not really in the position to make the call. However you have asked, and I'll throw in my opinion for what it is worth. I did not know about the game until I heard about the collectors edition and I ordered my copy as a graduation present for myself for roughly $550 Australian (around US$490 at the time). Knowing that I had a number of people who would be likely to be willing to play it, I thought that it would be worth it and am quite happy with my copy. However it is not really portable, storage and finding playspace (the board is 88cm x 128cm off the top of my head and you need a bigger space than this to set everything out) and if you are prone to anxiety over others handling expensive things or play with people that tend to be careless then this may not be a wise purchase for you. I've had one test play to try to learn the game (which is all I'm willing to do till I get the cards sleeved) and even then had a great deal of fun. However it is not a short game and you do need to have some people who can be regular opponents who frequently have the 3+ hours needed to play it, in order justify its purchase.

However the box/tome is really pretty delicate as is and unless your very comfortable about modding it to get over the hinge issue and are comfortable doing something to help make the surface more resilient to scratches (or just dont mind some ware) getting things in and out plus just having people examine it can be a nervous experience. It is really, really beautiful but not ideal as perminent storage, especially since standing it on its side would be the best way to display it, but would probably do some fairly nasty things to the trays inside over time. Long term I intend to have the tome securely displayed somewhere and the actual game in a seperate box, which is a bit more practical. Aside from the cards (I know a number of people who are exceptionally talented at ruining cards) the rest of the components dont strike me a fragile and should stand up to a lot of play, provided you treat them sensibly.

I figured since I have not gotten into painting minis yet by the time I bought what was required to paint them and getting both editions which appeared to be out of print that it was worth it. I would not buy the collectors edition at the price it is now until I knew the full details of the regular game reprint. In particular if the expansion game components and rules that are in the Collectors Edition are included with the new printing and if the cards are revised to be more easily readable than the old cards, I'd go for that and either paint the mini's yourself, have someone paint them for you or just use the unpainted minis depending on your preference.

In the end there are a lot of factors in the decison and only you know how to weigh them properly for yourself. I hope this does in some way help you make a decsion that you will be happy with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Wojtaszcyk
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
WoTR CE isn't the most portal or durable box. More for show than transport unless you don't care about scratches on the box.

You probably can get away with a much cheaper base game version and if you like it, then purchase the expansion to it. (which also gets you 2 scenario games too)

The big difference is the base game doesn't have painted figures and has the base map/cards. But having those items is a luxury more than functional thing. If money is tight as you suggest, I would say the WoTR CE is not something you will be happy with for such a cost.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tazar Yoot
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So I've read the advice given here. Just wanted to say I appreciate the time taken by everyone to input their 2 cents (even John's calling us all crazy). I talked this purchase over some more with my girlfriend and it turns out she's a bit more supportive than I would have ever expected. She's also said she would like to try playing this game, which in and of itself is appealing to me.

We decided to go ahead and pull the trigger, I made the purchase. If the buyer's remorse is too heavy to deal with I could always turn around and sell it again on eBay to reduce the sting tho I doubt I'd ever be willing to part with it

That said I can't wait to get to play this beautiful game and I have quite a few friends I'd be will to play with and not fear them manhandling the pieces.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Sharp
United States
York
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's my second favorite game (Combat Commander gets the number one spot) so I had no problem picking it up (thanks to a couple of other game sales), and have not regretted it at all. It was worth it to have a deluxe version of a game I'm so fond of.

As far as taking it out to play, I know I am in the minority here, but I use this version over my original copy all the time. Even with snacks near the board, and drinks teetering on the table. I bought it to play, not to collect! And I'm not planning on getting card sleeves either, I bought them for another game once and didn't like using them at all. Don't get me wrong, we're still careful with it, but just not the extent that most others are.

All that said, I'd say you have to play the regular version first. If you've never played it I can't see spending the money on it, unless if you were strictly a collector. I think the game is fantastic and captures the flavor of the books and even the movies like no other LOTR game, but if you don't agree and are out 800 bones then you'll regret it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barak Engel
United States
Oakland
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
armor_11 wrote:
You've absolutely got to play the game until you get your average cost per play (ACPP) down to an acceptable level.

Why?

YOU must do so. HE doesn't.

That's your yardstick, not his. Maybe for him, all he needs to do is display it in a glass case. Or rub the cards all over his body. Or toss it around like a football, gleefully laughing and screaming "I got one on y'all, suckers!". Or bask in the knowledge that he is one of only 800 that has a copy. Who knows?

We all have our own internal needs to satisfy with discretionary purchases. ACPP works for you and many others. Doesn't make it "an absolute" by any means.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim McCormley
United States
SD
California
flag msg tools
OUCH!
mbmbmbmbmb
lightnng wrote:
armor_11 wrote:
You've absolutely got to play the game until you get your average cost per play (ACPP) down to an acceptable level.

Why?

Because I said so.

I am the source of all knowledge when it comes to the enjoyment of expensive games. Especially expensive games where one side of the opposing forces are symbolized by a friggin EYE!

Tim
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John W
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lightnng wrote:
armor_11 wrote:

Why?

YOU must do so. HE doesn't.

That's your yardstick, not his.
Here's some advice for dealing with the internet:

Assume every post has IMO at the bottom of it.

*disclaimer - this post is just my opinion
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barak Engel
United States
Oakland
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
reapersaurus wrote:
Here's some advice for dealing with the internet:

Assume every post has IMO at the bottom of it.

*disclaimer - this post is just my opinion

laugh

whistle

blush

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hugh Grotius
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think you'll regret it. My wife bought the CE for me as a Christmas present, and we are both delighted that she did! She doesn't play the game with me, but my kids are loving it. It's easily the highest-quality board game I own. Mind you, my wife presumably paid the preorder price (er, around $400, right?). And I paid zero, as it was a gift; so I suppose my point of view is a bit skewed. But still, I'd have paid more than $400 for it.

Also, my impression is that this game is feasible solitaire. In fact, one of my kids is dinking around with a solitaire game right now, as I type this. Heck, I've spent some solitaire time with it, pushing the minis around, admiring the wonderful artwork on the leaders' flags and the Gondor soldiers' shields. I'd enjoy a solitaire go -- except that my kids would go nuts if I played without them.

Yes, you could buy the standard game and paint the minis yourself. I do enjoy painting minis, but I wouldn't have done nearly this nice a job of it. If I did it at all. It takes time and energy and dedication to paint minis, not to mention workspace. For me, that time is worth the extra money.

You might consider buying sleeves for the cards. There's a thread on that here. Make sure you get the correct sleeves; Mayday games ordered one set in the wrong size.

Enjoy the game! And start reading the rules now; there's a fair bit to digest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Tolin
United States
Beaumont
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
reapersaurus wrote:
TazarYoot wrote:
Well, you opened the feedback up to people who aren't fans of the game, so:

I think y'all are CRAZY for even thinking of purchasing it at that price.

I also find it ridiculous that there is such a wide disparity being paid for this game (what are the ranges? from $320 to $500 to $800 now?)

I saw the pictures and thought it was way overpriced at $300.... soblue

If you've only seen pictures, then you don't have a very informed opinion. When I saw the pictures, I was somewhat disappointed with the evident quality of the production--especially the painting job.

However, after opening up my copy and getting my hands on the pieces, I could scarcely be more pleased. The CE is top-notch stuff. Caveat: My copy wasn't $700+.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.