United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
Bitches!
badge
Hourglass Nebula
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm interested in the CoH system but I'm a casual wargamer and would likely only buy one of the two. What should I consider?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SOS. No question.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Wehrenberg
United States
Unspecified
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
What he said.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Francis
Wales
Aberystwyth
Ceredigion
flag msg tools
badge
“"To Aetius, now consul for the third time: the groans of the Britons ... The barbarians drive us to the sea; the sea throws us back on the barbarians: thus two modes of death await us, we are either slain or drowned".” ―Gildas
mbmbmbmbmb
What they said.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Woods
Canada
Halifax
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+1
played both and liked the SOS units better...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
武士に二言無し
Italy
Caravaggio near Bergamo near Milano
Europe + Earth + Via Lactea
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Lance,

Wait for PoH (with the newest counters) and buy them all!

Great, sturdy and neat games ...

Bye

Filippo

p.s. Like the others ... start with SoS,
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Parker
Australia
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Great game design makes the complex simple, replayability maximum, and abstraction credible.
badge
It’s not how well you roll that counts but how well the dice suit the game.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Lance I very recently bought both.

If I had to choose though, as the counters of Awakening the Bear are to be replaced in Price of Honour, I'd go with Storms of Steel for now.

SoS also contains more scenarios out of the box, 15 vs 10 (though 4 maps as opposed to 5 - but a set of map overalys are included).

I actually thought that SoS was an expansion of AtB! That's why I bought both together. However, I do think it's worthwhile doing this to own the full series mapset (Marsh board separate) and allow for a greater force mix in DYO.

Casual play? May as well start with the game where all the counters are "up to date" ie: SoS. Then again the "Unnerved" counter of AtB is misspelled "Unnervered" in SoS! Can't win can you?

Adam.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Adam Parker wrote:
Then again the "Unnerved" counter of AtB is misspelled "Unnervered" in SoS!

I never noticed this until someone mentioned it on these forums. And now when I play the game with someone new, I show them that counter and ask them to find the spelling mistake, and they never can until I point it out, even when I've already told them there's a spelling mistake. It's funny how our minds will overlook an extra letter if it's just the right letter in just the right place.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
Limburgerhof
flag msg tools
Designing game modules for the Zuntzu online gaming platform
badge
The Art of War
mbmbmbmbmb

Aoccdrnig to rseearch at an Elingsh uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is that the frist and lsat ltteer is at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae we do not raed ervey lteter by it slef but the wrod as a wlohe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance Jones
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
Bitches!
badge
Hourglass Nebula
mbmbmbmbmb
Yalnin wrote:

Aoccdrnig to rseearch at an Elingsh uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is that the frist and lsat ltteer is at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae we do not raed ervey lteter by it slef but the wrod as a wlohe.

I thought of the exact same thing and was searching through my e-mail to try and find it. Nice one.

How is the solo play in SoS?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sungrazer wrote:

How is the solo play in SoS?

I quite like it, but there only a few firefights designed for solo play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Parker
Australia
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Great game design makes the complex simple, replayability maximum, and abstraction credible.
badge
It’s not how well you roll that counts but how well the dice suit the game.
mbmbmbmbmb
I just bought my second box of Storms of Steel. I really like the force mix it contains. Some counters can be used in Awakening the Bear - also the extra set of counters will make for some nice DYO.

For those yet to buy Storms of Steel, note that if you want to play with armor (unless you skip ahead in the rules and play the optional versions of scenarios 4 and 5), you don't get to see tanks until scenario 7. SoS uses the same programmed introduction to the rules as in AtB. Tanks come late on the scene if learned this way.

Awakening the Bear does contain some great scenarios at first glance too. A strange scenario 1 though, that seems more of a role play with partisans vs the SS.

My wish list for extra Storms of Steel counters (if they can be supplied with Price of Honour - the next title to come):

1. Purpose designed counters that say "SS" with some black or cammo in the background.

2. The Elefant! Where is it? Can't have Kursk without one

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
uwe eickert
United States
Fremont
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it is a neat idea to print some customized counters that ship with extra firefights. I cannot include SS units in the game, since I would have troubles in Germany, etc. But I can send units like this elsewhere and via post. And yes, we could add the elephant, since the artwork is already done for it. We just did not add it, since we were concentrating on the southern Kursk front.

Any ideas for units? Would they be a different color or have a colored band around them? Special insignias on the counters like we are doing for the Marine Corps in Guadalcanal?

Uwe

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.