GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
7,342 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
23 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
8 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Do It Yourself

Subject: Mutant Monster Dice rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: random [+] mutant [+] morster [+] [View All]
Scott Westgard
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been working on designing a game around a set of dice I created years ago, and now have some new artwork for. It generates over 1200 possible monsters! I hope any of you gamers who create a copy of these dice for yourself might also give me some input on what kind of game you might like to see them involved in. Originally they were for generating monsters from the lower planes, demons, and weird stuff for D&D. Now I think they have merit to be a game of their own.

shown here is some 3/4 inch prototypes I made recently. The Image file is for 1 inch dice, and I altered the demon head a bit on it.

Ive uploaded a high-res jpeg of the 24 designs for the dice. If you are one of those Do-It-Yourself gamers, you can print it out and make your own dice by cutting out the squares and glue-sticking them on some wood cubes.

I post these in good faith that gamers will enjoy them, and if anyone wants to market/re-create them, they should contact me. I'm still looking for possible fun ideas on how to use them in a complete game. Thanks for any input you might have!
-Scott Westgard
NoodleArtist@aol.com
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Wasserman
United States
Morgantown
WV
flag msg tools
I don't think he would like that.
badge
"A single action or event is interesting, not because it is explainable, but because it is true." - Goethe
mbmbmbmbmb
Great art on these dice!

It seems like you could have a Spore-like creature generator where different types of parts give you bonuses to different stats. Pay some amount of "evolution experience" to rotate a die for a different specialty, and a greater amount to upgrade to a higher level (indicated by a different color?). Something like that. Not sure what you'd be trying to accomplish... but it seems like a nice mechanism for the dice themselves!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Westgard
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Joe!

I'm really pulling my hair out on game design possibilities...there are SO many, my head is spinning.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Harmon
United States
Hilliard
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Thanks for posting the images. I think these are too cool and I also have been thinking of some possible uses, now I can make a set and see if I can help come up with something.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Beyak
United States
Santa Rosa
California
flag msg tools
badge
Combat Commander gets your blood flowing.
mbmbmbmbmb
Are you familiar with Quirks, you may get some ideas from that game.

Excellent artwork on these dice. I'll be interested in seeing what you come up with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Westgard
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Beyak wrote:
Are you familiar with Quirks, you may get some ideas from that game.

Excellent artwork on these dice. I'll be interested in seeing what you come up with.

I looked it up...The game is out of print, but I think I get the idea from BGG of what its about. My game will have a little more of magic and fighting in it than that, but thanks for the heads up!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Visagie
South Africa
Grahamstown
Eastern Cape
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just had a thought that if you want to play a game where the creatures are capable of change then you can have triggers that reroll a single die.
e.g. Player 1 is not happy with his creatures pincers so he casts a spell to morph it and rerolls it's head.
Something to that effect.
I really like these and cross fingers for you! It looks like it's going to be a success.
(just had another thought that if you come up with more than 6 heads why not make another die to put additional heads on?)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Westgard
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the vote of confidence Adrian!

There is a post I started in Board Game Design forums:
Making custom monster dice generator.... Need Input

I've had a good amount of input already, but I like your idea of having multiple types of dice for the heads. There could be a few more variations for the body and tail, but additional head dice would help. Body and tail dice variations might just become redundant.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.