Hrvoje Roncevic
Croatia
Zagreb
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
First of all, I love this game. It's a nice mix of luck, strategy, interaction, evilness, backstabbing, slaughtering, outwiting, laughing in your face, ... everything that a true evil fun-having diety should like.

I only played a couple of games (one 2-player for testing the rules, and 8 4-player), I played most of the Gods, and had a terrific time. I am not sure if there are problems later with balance and replayabillity, but already the price is worth the 15-20 hours we played. And of course, I plan to keep playing , most of my friends do too. One person sad that "it's too confusing, he can't see what to do to win, and he won't play it anymore".

I like the theme. You are a God, you do evil stuff, you destroy a world, you even destroy evil like you, so you could destroy the world first. I like to be a good guy in boardgames, but when I play evil, I like to master it, and this game gives me lots of opportunities to do so.

Game setup is fairly quick (like Small world and Settlers, not like Axis and Starcraft).

Rules are really easy, but I found them hard to learn on a first reading. And some players have problems during first few games. Some rules have mathematical description (which I like), but confuses "normal" people. First 1-2 play, might be slowish, but game really picks up the speed later.

I like the gameplay!
During summoning phase (creating troops, moving troops, playing cards) each player takes one action clockwise, untill he has no more action points. It's fast, interactive and gives a great feel, but also has lots of strategy and posibilites. Only problem is if you have players that think very long, it can slow down the game considerably. Again not a big problem, because it can be really worth to think about your moves, so again its not boring.
Battle phase will be a let down for some, cause it only provides you a single round of combat, so some battles finish without demon casualties, having enemy troops drinking tea and eating peasants afterwards. It's not a problem cause it fits perfectly in the gameplay and the theme.

Path to victory
You can win by victory points, you can win by "Goal advancement" (each God has a similar but different goal) and you can all lose if "Good" wins. So multiple paths to victory, multiple strategies, and latent threat that "nobody will win". I should really love this, yet all of our victories were always by "Goal advancement". All of the Gods have won, so it might be balanced, but I would like to see a VP victory or even "Good" win at least once.

Some stuff about it
I like the "power ups". If you complete goals of your God, you get "power up" cards, that improve your diety. Really cool, and spice up the feeling of difference.
Each God has a different set of powers (power cards), which grant each God different (unique for that race) abilities. Really really cool.
Each God plays a bit different. If you like complex gaming, it gives you opportunity to have to think "He is God A, he will do X, I have to do Y to prevent it".

Good setup
Problem of (or a good thing about) this game is that not all Gods play the same way. So if you have a group of 3 people that like to wage war and kill stuff, you'll have two sad faces.

Who is it for
- people who like interaction (in an evil and sadistic way)
- people who like "lets see if you get out of this one" cards
- people who like rolling dices and removing enemy figures (but a lot less then risk, axis. This is not primarily a combat game)

Who shouldn't play it
- people who are easily offended by attacks, card stealing, ....
- people who don't like to think alot about strategy and moves
- people who can't see what other players are trying to do
- light gamers

For me this game is a bit like Evo, Small world and El Grande.

Good things:
- takes 1-2 hours to finish
- different races/gods -> different strategies
- different setups and world card events -> different starting setups
- lots of interaction

Bad things:
- map design: Very colorfull, but some tokens are hard to spot on the map
- some amount of luck (card draw and dices) that sometimes gives unfair advantage/disadvantage.
- with some players turns take a bit to long. But still the game lasts less then 2 hrs in 4 players
- sometimes we get so cough up in thinking about our moves, that there is almost no conversation during turns
-

P.S. The word "God" is in capital letters, just in case those dieties actually exist, cause I wouldn't like Gods of Plague, Slaughter, Vices and Tickery on my back.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
“It's all in the mind.” ― George Harrison
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
mbmbmbmbmb
ronac wrote:
P.S. The word "God" is in capital letters, just in case those dieties actually exist, cause I wouldn't like Gods of Plague, Slaughter, Vices and Tickery on my back.

Priest of Sigmar stepping forward: "Do not fear, good citizen, Sigmar is on your side! We crushed them Chaos scum twice and we will do so in the future as long as we have faith. Praise Sigmar, for he is our saviour!"

Oh yes, and that was a very nice review too! Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hrvoje Roncevic
Croatia
Zagreb
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My first review, and already I have to go with "my first apology"....

Browsing through forums, I found out that you can't have more then 2 ticks per turn.

We played it wrongly, therefore, that's why there were no VP victories.

My bad, cause I am the "rule reader" in my group.

I have to find out the implications but I assume:
- Games will last a bit longer
- It'll be harder for Khorne
- It'll be less of a chase for dials
- Game will be even better
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Schuster
Germany
Bretten
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ronac wrote:
- It'll be harder for Khorne

It'll be nowhere near the same
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Kuha
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
I can tell we are going to be mortal enemies.
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played several games. I still haven't seen an "everybody loses" scenario, but we have come very close (VP victory on the very last round).

I have also seen every god win (I think). If there is a god that hasn't won in my group it might be slaanesh.

I really, really like this game, so I'm glad to see someone else getting on the band wagon.thumbsup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hammond
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
YancyS wrote:
I have played several games. I still haven't seen an "everybody loses" scenario, but we have come very close (VP victory on the very last round).

I have also seen every god win (I think). If there is a god that hasn't won in my group it might be slaanesh.

I really, really like this game, so I'm glad to see someone else getting on the band wagon.thumbsup

I can say that I've seen every god win decisively. IMO, Slaanesh has somewhat the hardest time, but on the same hand, they're often overlooked.

I have yet to draw Khorne.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hrvoje Roncevic
Croatia
Zagreb
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My group played a couple of games using the right rules (one turn of dial for all with at least one tick, and two turns if one player has the most ticks).
Game lasts a bit longer (closer to 2 hrs), it's an even race (between VP and dials), and a bit more fun. Again it was balanced, all of players were close to victory and stood a good chance to win.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.