Jin TS
Malaysia
Petaling Jaya
Selangor
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Background

Dear readers, this is the second part of a series of article from me on the uncommon minis that I have collected. If you are reading this series of article for the first time, I do suggest that you try to read articles I posted earlier for a much better feel and understanding about these minis here:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/browse/boardgame/0?usern...

I love minis and use them frequently in my board games session, RPG session and in my own miniature board game setting. This series of article concerns with the list of my Top 20 Most Treasured Minis of all time and some of other interesting minis, such as this. All these minis were chosen based on my personal preference and evaluation. This article is a way of me sharing my views and enthusiasm on minis with other mini collectors and gamers no matter who and where they are. There will be more articles coming up, as soon as I can take some time to write it and post it here. These articles are strictly my personal views and I welcome any constructive feedback or opinion. I am not sure how much readers value such reviews but I'm writing this more of my passion in mini collection. Thanks for taking your time reading and hope you enjoy them.

Note: On this special series on uncommon minis, I have carefully pick some of the most outstanding minis from amongst the huge variety of minis developed by D&D and the stars merely represents how much I like them, with 3 stars being the most valuable. Due to overwhelming number of uncommon minis that are nice, I have grouped them into different categories and I have included five minis for each of them which I personally feel truly worthy.

Uncommon Minis
This is the second part of the series of reviews on some of my uncommon minis. If you are reading it for the first time, I suggest you read up my first review before proceeding. To cut it short, this review is mainly concern with dwarf, halfling, undead, “see through” and special inclusion of ogre uncommon minis. These minis were chosen based on my personal preference and hope you will like them as much as I do. Enjoy reading…

Dwarf Mini

Dwarf is another common race in D&D fantasy world and there are many good uncommon minis under the list and thanks to WotC’s hard work. As a RPG player, personally I don’t really fancy playing dwarf very much, not really sure why but I find it just not to my taste. But I do know there are many players who love them, and honestly, they don't look that bad either.

Dwarf Artificer

Unique Features: Nice theme

This mini is chosen because he is the artificer, the expert in creating, handling and fixing warforges (sentient construct) in the Eberron world..not a normal fighter which is what dwarf normally are good at… laugh

Cleric of Moradin

Unique Features: quite rare and interesting outlook

The standard warpriest type of dwarf but still acceptable because it is from Dragoneye expansion, already out of production and I have got only one, that’s why it is selected.. cool

Dwarf Wizard

Unique Features: unique and cool theme and mini design

Dwarf who specialized in wizardry is very uncommon, that’s what I can say, and so to get this and play with it is still nice, especially to some of my gamers who likes dwarf very much. Also, you can see lots of fine details on the minis armor, this is what I mean by quality, awesome...wow

Dwarf Maulfighter

Unique Features: very rare and very nice mini design

This is my personal favorite because it can be used as a character in my mini board game system. He is also not using an ordinary weapon, it’s the maul that stuns enemy when it hits critical, very interesting and I really love it. Plus, the armor is quite special, unlike any other dwarf..cool

Warpriest of Moradin

Unique Features: very authentic, good quality and great design and details

This mini is my most favorite uncommon dwarf mini simply because it has look, style, playable in my augmented mini game both as character or monster, but mostly because he has fairly good stats and power ability. Truly an outstanding quality for an uncommon mini ..wow

Halfling Mini

Halflings is another common race in D&D universe as well as the mini series, and many halflings have been introduced into the game and here is my best five uncommon halflings minis.

Halfling Brawler

Unique Features: nice theme and interesting armor and pose, plus it is useful

I have 3 pieces of this mini and it can be used as bad guys. I mean, even a generally good race like halflings have bad guys and we need that kind of minis to fill this role.. Again, needless to say, the details is very cool..wow

Skullclan Hunter

Unique Features: Interesting weapon and armor, and quite rare

This mini caught my attention during the development of my augmented mini game and they can even sneak attack the undeads! So far they are probably the only monster that may do that to undead...laugh

Talenta Halfling

Unique Features: very nice mini design and armor with good usability

I can use this mini as any good halfling characters and the design of the mini makes it so unique. The choice of color, armor and equipment are all very interesting! wow

Halfling Enchanter

Unique Features: quite rare, nice painting and good usability

Halfling spell casters are rare, in terms of mini. So having this mini really solve the issue of playing a halfling wizard in any RPG campaign and board games.. Just look at the mini, I truly like his robe and gestures… robot

Halfling Tombseeker

Unique Features: very nice theme, nice armor and quite rare

I have one of this mini out of all the boxes I opened, it’s really rare.. What seriously makes it so valuable to me is I can use it as one of the character in my augmented mini game, as the acrobatic rogue who has a powerful ability, Agile, which can avoid attacks and spells due to exceptionally high agility (works almost like concealment or incorporeal)...zombie

Undead Mini

Undead is one of my favorite type of monsters simply because they can be in so many forms and shapes.. The creativity in creating undead has almost no boundary and it’s a very cool monster to fight too… always gives characters the eerie feelings..laugh

Skeletal Equiceph

Unique Features: nice pose, very nice mini painting work and very useful

This mini is very outstanding as it is a large-sized skeleton. Just look at the details on the armor and look, really awesome! And I can use it as the skeleton commander that leads a legion of skeleton minion in certain RPG setting, a very nice mini indeed.. cool

Karrnathi Zombie

Unique Features: cool armor and weapon, plus a nice theme

This mini is very unique that it first look like a dark skin fighter until I see the name. Gives me another good option for using different minis as undead in any games. Outstanding mini is the word for it, with great details.laugh

Sacred Watcher

Unique Features: very rare, nice theme and interesting outlook

This mini is very unique, and a good alignment undead too. It’s very rare as I have only got one unit out of so many boxes opened. He is almost pure white in color though with a dash of light blue, and it can be used as ghosts in RPG session ...nice..

Burning Skeleton

Unique Features: high usability, cool look, mysterious and great painting job

This is a very cool mini, looks mysterious and I have got only two pieces, but one given to another mini collector as part of trading.. I love this mini as it has such a special design outlook, which is practically a skeleton burning in fire while talking to player's characters...laugh I can even use it as a final evil boss..so cool.. Well, how can I not like it??... robot

Guardian Mummy

Unique Features: very rare since out of production, very useful and superb mini design and color

This mini is valuable to me because the design is excellent, plus I can use it as monster character in my augmented mini games! The mini design is great and the painting work is highly commendable, with the mummy's old cloth strap around his body clearly visible, and the large piece of what seem to be some kind of magical medalion dangling around his chest.. wow

See-Through Mini

This is a special category of minis where the design is unconventional and the materials used in making them is almost like plastic see-though materials. They always give me a special feeling and very unusual, makes the variety of mini even more exciting to look at..laugh

Ice Mephit

Unique Features: unique theme and cool looking

This mini is nice, as you can see that though the mini is blue in color, it actually has good muscles and shapes, very interesting mini design.. laugh

Large Water Elemental

Unique Features: interesting theme and good details and design on mini

Though we don’t encounter water elementals very often in all our games, but the unique design and theme makes it a collectible items, no doubt. You can see that there are heads coming out from the water, suppose it belongs to the elemental...laugh

Shadow

Unique Features: very unique theme and mysterious

Again, undead such as shadows are nice to have in game play, more so if it comes with this quality. I have two of this mini so far, good enough and the reusability is quite high...whistle

Phoera

Unique Features: quite rare, great details on mini and interesting outlook

It catches my eyes the first time I look at it, same to my other gamers too. That’s because of the color and the wings.. Good as any monsters that has wings and burning in fire, such as the phoenix…

Caller in Darkness

Unique Features: very unique, nice detail and extraordinary mini design

This mini gets high points from me mainly because of the theme and effect (with lots of heads screaming)! It’s really nice and I still remember how my gamer felt when he fight this creature, he was shaking his head hard while taking his dice to roll for initiative as he couldn’t believe he is fighting this monster that has incorporeal and hard to hit it, a very deadly opponent indeed!…laugh laugh

Bonus Review

Ogre Mini

I'm putting in ogre minis as a bonus because after I have searched through the entire minis collection, I have only found 3 uncommon ogre minis (if I have not missed out any) and they are all listed below. Ogre is a rare mini in D&D mini series, though normally there is one in every expansion set. So far, ogre doesn't appear in the common minis category, so you can see how rare is this special breed. I have many other great rare ogre minis (which I will talk about in my other reviews) and only these 3 uncommon minis to share with you guys, hope u like it.

Half Ogre Barbarian

Unique Features: great looking mini and quite useful

This mini is always good when I use it in monsters encounter and in my Talisman board game. Nice pose, fearsome and very good painting work...

Ogre Skirmisher

Unique Features: unique and very authentic looking

Female ogre utterly is rare. This is possibly the only female ogre I can think of and it's just nice to have it. By the way, it's kind of strange to imagine a female ogre charging into a battle, it just blows my mind off, not sure why... laugh

Skullcrusher Ogre

Unique Features: very ferocious looking and great mini design and painting

This mini is awesome as an uncommon mini. Great look, superb quality as you will know when you hold it, and nice painting.. Even rare minis sometimes may not have such qualities. I think I have 2 pieces so far, I am so darn lucky..laugh

That's it, my second review on interesting uncommon minis and I know it's a long one too. I really hope you guys enjoy it especially the choice of minis

My next review, it is the third part of my Outstanding Uncommon Minis Review. It will show minis from unnatural, small/tiny, huge and dragon. Thanks for taking your time reading my long review.

[EDIT] My apology, Terror Wight has been removed from the Undead Mini list as I have mistakenly included it. It is actually just a common mini. I have replaced it with another very interesting mini Skeletal Equiceph, hope u guys like it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John W
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
(giving examples from my previous critique of your review)
jininthenet wrote:

Cleric of Moradin

The standard warpriest type of dwarf but still acceptable because it is from Dragoneye expansion, already out of production and I have got only one, that’s why it is selected.. cool
See, this is an example of terrible reasons to include this in a list spotlighting high-quality minis.

AFAIK, ALL the expansions are out of production, so that's obviously no reason to select this one.
The fact that you only got one is also not a reason whatsoever to highlight this over any other D&D mini.
What does "interesting outlook" mean? Moradin is THE cliche' diety for dwarfs, and there's already the much-better Warpriest of Moradin as your 3-star entry.

Quote:

Dwarf Wizard

Dwarf who is expect in wizardry is very uncommon, that’s what I can say, and so to get this and play with it is still nice, especially to some of my gamers who likes dwarf very much. Also, you can see lots of fine details on the minis armor, this is what I mean by quality, awesome...wow

Now here's a great list of reasons to spotlight this figure.
A non-standard class choice for dwarfs, a description of the figure's sculpt and paint qualities, and personal anecdotal feedback about other people's impressions of the fig from your experiences.
Keep these kinds of reasonings. thumbsup

Quote:

Dwarf Maulfighter

This is my personal favorite because it can be used as a character in my mini board game system. He is also not using an ordinary weapon, it’s the maul that stuns enemy when it hits critical, very interesting and I really love it. Plus, the armor is quite special, unlike any other dwarf..cool

aaaaaaaaaaand back to terrible reasoning. laugh

Your ability to use a D&D fig in your own game's system has absolutely no bearing on the objective quality of a fig.
Please stop using it as a criteria for inclusion in these reviews.

Quote:

Warpriest of Moradin

This mini is my most favorite uncommon dwarf mini simply because it has look, style, playable in my augmented mini game both as character or monster, but mostly because he has fairly good stats and power ability. Truly an outstanding quality for an uncommon mini ..wow

Back to good reasons. thumbsup
This is a CLASSIC dwarf figure, excellently produced and easy to acquire.

I could list more, but I think you get what I'm trying to add to your reviews.
I like when you list how the figs can be used in other games (like a bad halfling)

BTW - your inclusion of see-thru uncommon figures is your best section yet. thumbsup
Those are AMAZING figs, especially the Water Elemental, Phoera, Caller in Darkness, Shadow, etc - all excellent figures, well worth spotlighting for people who weren't aware of them in the D&D mini system.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jin TS
Malaysia
Petaling Jaya
Selangor
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
(giving examples from my previous critique of your review)
jininthenet wrote:

Cleric of Moradin

See, this is an example of terrible reasons to include this in a list spotlighting high-quality minis.

AFAIK, ALL the expansions are out of production, so that's obviously no reason to select this one.
The fact that you only got one is also not a reason whatsoever to highlight this over any other D&D mini.
What does "interesting outlook" mean? Moradin is THE cliche' diety for dwarfs, and there's already the much-better Warpriest of Moradin as your 3-star entry.

Quote:

Dwarf Wizard

Dwarf who is expect in wizardry is very uncommon, that’s what I can say, and so to get this and play with it is still nice, especially to some of my gamers who likes dwarf very much. Also, you can see lots of fine details on the minis armor, this is what I mean by quality, awesome...wow

Now here's a great list of reasons to spotlight this figure.
A non-standard class choice for dwarfs, a description of the figure's sculpt and paint qualities, and personal anecdotal feedback about other people's impressions of the fig from your experiences.
Keep these kinds of reasonings. thumbsup

Quote:

Dwarf Maulfighter

aaaaaaaaaaand back to terrible reasoning. laugh

Your ability to use a D&D fig in your own game's system has absolutely no bearing on the objective quality of a fig.
Please stop using it as a criteria for inclusion in these reviews.

Quote:

Warpriest of Moradin

Back to good reasons. thumbsup
This is a CLASSIC dwarf figure, excellently produced and easy to acquire.

I could list more, but I think you get what I'm trying to add to your reviews.
I like when you list how the figs can be used in other games (like a bad halfling)

BTW - your inclusion of see-thru uncommon figures is your best section yet. thumbsup
Those are AMAZING figs, especially the Water Elemental, Phoera, Caller in Darkness, Shadow, etc - all excellent figures, well worth spotlighting for people who weren't aware of them in the D&D mini system.

Ok, critiques received and accepted with an opened heart. I understand your reasoning for disagreeing the inclusion of the usefulness of the mini in my augmented mini game. But honestly, i can't discount that from my evaluation, and sincerely, these reviews merely reflects what i feel about the minis i have, and it was not actually intended or aimed at talking about those popular and well-received minis in other collector's opinion... And again, u mentioned about the objective of highlighting some interesting minis for other gamers to know about them, and this would be an entirely different review if i would want to do it as what u suggested...

I guess this is where u find it a bit hard to accept, but i do take your advice with consideration in my next review. If u noticed in my other single mini reviews on top 20 most treasured mini of all time, one of the criteria is usability, and i just can't ignore that factor from evaluating the overall/total value of a mini..

I sincerely hope u see where i come from and, before and during the process of writing all these minis reviews, i have struggled and accepted the fact that i must choose to write minis reviews based on how much "others like it" or how much "i like it"..because i know they definitely vary to some extent.. But finally i have made the decision to write "how much i like it" because it will defy my own objective and satisfaction for writing minis review not entirely to my liking.

Actually deep down, i already know too well that if i write something that other collectors/gamers like to see (which i think i know what they like), i would have gotten much better thumbs and geekgold and positive comments instead of what i received so far. In fact, i wouldn't have included the mini Bruenor Battlehammer or Valenar Nomad Charger in my top 20 most treasured mini list if i seriously consider the popularity of such minis..and yet, i have still included them, mainly because i really love them and treasure it so much!

However, thanks john for your comments and i appreciate what u were trying to share with me. I hope what i have shared here would make u understand the rationale behind all my reviews and i sincerely hope it would not deter and stop u from enjoying reading my reviews. If u have any other ideas or feedback, u are most welcome to express it and share it with me.

Thanks and have a nice day
Jin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.