Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
17 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » OLD BGGBlogs (do not use)

Subject: Fix the Geek! (welcoming committee?) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
S W E E T !
United States
West Lafayette
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Okay, I'm one to criticize those people who are always trying to "fix the geek". Among other things, they post their ideas about "requiring ______ so people can ________", about pic rating, about lame geeklists, and my favorite "hey Aldie, you need to do some programming 'cause I want this new feature."

That said, I am now going to make my own suggestion to fix the geek--a welcoming committee.

I think we need a designated group of bgg regulars who will welcome new users, instruct them in the ways of the geek, and offer helpful suggestions when they don't live up to our expectations (Um, no grasshopper, we don't want another "games my wife will play" geeklist.)

I think the committee should be populated with a good mix of bgg regulars. I'm thinking:

DWTripp
MrCranky
Cornjob
Chuckles (that would pretty much guarantee good geeklists)
Sodaklady

If newbie makes it through the gauntlet that Trippy and Cranky throw down, Cornjob can ease them back down to earth with his humor, and then Chuckles and Sodaklady can really get their welcome on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dwayne Hendrickson
United States
Oklahoma City
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Why don't we just send some folks out to a newbies house and adminster spankings?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
June King
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
Bring me her heart in this box.
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome???
DWTripp
MrCranky

Clayton, are you trying to scare the noobs away?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terry Bailey Sr.
United States
Jonesborough
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you really want
Geek Police?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Haberman
United States
Painesville
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I think we need some hazing. Perhaps we can tar and meeple the newbies. devil

Or we could make them drink caffinated beverages and play games until the see small wooden cubes whenever they close their eyes to sleep at night.

On a side note, when I used to go to LAN parties and play Battlefield 1942 with headphones on for 8 hours, I would hear phantom explosions in my head when I tried to go to sleep at 3:00 in the morning...no, really.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John O'Haver
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Pet photographer, that's me.
mbmbmbmbmb
Why am I suddenly
...imagining DW Tripp as John Belushi as "Bluto" assigning geek user names?

I almost passed over this as another Fix The Geek/Save the Planet journal entry until I saw it was from the other pseudo-latin monikered geek.

Scribidinus Prolificus

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wilfred Berkhof
Netherlands
Veenendaal
flag msg tools
What i think the Geek could really use is a simple 'new to the Geek' page. This would just be a relatively short page, which briefly explains what all the different functions on the Geek are and a small overview of the do's and dont's on the Geek (like giving subtle hints about not starting another 'boardgames i've played this year' geeklist).

This way when a new Geek visits the page it's easier for them to know what the possibilities are here on the Geek and how to use them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Goo
United States
Yorba Linda
California
flag msg tools
badge
Try to be nice to people, avoid eating fat, read a good book every now and then, get some walking in, and try and live together in peace and harmony with people of all creeds and nations.
mb
The Super Special Care Bear Geek Love Force
We should create the Super Special Care Bear Geek Love Force, a crack team of highly-caffinated, super-friendly hand-clappers and back-slappers to follow new Geeks around and love on them constantly. We could also create a Super Special Care Bear Geek Love Force Support Crew who pays for or raises money to fly members of the SSCBGLF to visit new Geeks. They can then administer a 56 point inspection of their games, gaming area, and snack closet. “It is out of our extreme love and downright giddy happiness that we recommend burning your copy of Mille Bournes, replacing that ugly tablecloth, and throwing away those Cheetohs (or in the least relegating them to only players using orange pieces). You can then purchase these 10 SSCBGLF approved games (Lost Cities, Puerto Rico, etc.).” The SSCBGLF could then rub their feet and hum Irish folk tunes while the new Geek navigates BGG. Kindly, and with much affirmation and love, the member of the SSCBGLF would, from their perch at the foot of the new Geek, instruct the newbie in BGG etiquette. “La la la mmm-hmmm, don’t make any political assertions, doo doo la la mmm, search for Geeklists with that same theme before you make that list, doo la mmm-hmmm, you’re not allowed to rate Monopoly above a 4” and so on. The departure of the SSCBGLF member would be a heart wrenching moment that only reality TV can manufacture as the new Geek weeps and shakes and blubbers lifelong gratitude and other life-poignant assertions.

Or, then again, maybe your idea would work better.

-goo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Sommer
Denmark
copenhagen downtown
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Blatant favoritism ,what!
Why not ......

coldfoot
geosphere
manly man

or
Grongards even.....

That will scare the pants off them eh ....As For Dw Tripp giving out names ,it would be more like bill murray in "Stripes" than bluto.
devil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I'll tell you why not me, Mr. Bunny.

Because it sounds like it would require work!

And I'm not here to work - I'm here to avoid work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S W E E T !
United States
West Lafayette
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Please PleasePleasePleasePleasePleasePleasePleasePlease don't even mention Grognards. Man, I do not want that dude in my journal. He's got, like, 18 different modes of emphasizing something, and none of them really mean anything 'cause he (1) uses too many and (2) uses 'em too often.

Just mentioning his name could bring him here, kinda like the Candyman. I don't have any sedatives on me, so keep that guy outta here.

Other comments:

Dwayne H.: yes, I like it.

J King: ?

haberman: very nice--tar & meeple (it's genius)

saladin: (1) you sound like a low-calorie food; (2) your idea, while excellent, obviously has no place in this journal

Goo: you've got the spirit, man, preach on!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Uh Huh
Oh yeah. I'd be perfect for breaking a Fuhnoogie in on The Geek. Just tell me where to make the first incision.

In truth though, I think Scrib and Cornjob would be a bit better at the de-sensitizing process, just based on thier avatars alone. Anyone who can get used to a Sleestack and The Harvester of Eyes has the steel to run with the rest of the dogs in this pack.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Baker
United States
Unspecified
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
We are a pack?
I for one find any comparison between us and canines highly objectionable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jefF, There are some who call me... DuneKitteh
United States
Wood Dale
Illinois
flag msg tools
Dune Kitty really does love you, despite any asshattery.
badge
Useless rollover, booya! Dune Kitty says, "deal with it."
mbmbmbmbmb
We already have BGG "police" – they’re the three with administrator badges
DWTripp & MrCranky? I don't think so... yeah, I SO don’t think so... wow

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Fitzgerald
United States
Mazomanie
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh PLEASE let me be on the welcoming committee.

I got a zero on my friendliness and sympathy on the NEO test.

PLUS, I have no qualms about kicking someone in the ribs if they don't have a supporter badge. Repeatedly. (Repeatedly kicking that is, one donation is plenty).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John O'Haver
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Pet photographer, that's me.
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcoming committee of
Tripp: The man who puts the test in testosterone.
GROGnads: Writes in The GROGnad code which when deciphered has predicted everything that has already happened with 100% accuracy.
Scrib: One of the most pointlessly prolific geek contributors and the second most wordy geek. (Gola is first).
MisterCranky: who is...well...very direct.
cornjob: Author of the funniest brief OT comments.
chuckles does write a good geeklist.
sodaklady: the Trias shillette

You know, except for sodaklady cornjob and chuckles the rest of the above group as well as a few others should have warning labels as badges. NOOBS BEWARE!

Now if the geek welcome wagon were all women I'd retire Scrib and re-up as a new user. I'd get me a warm fuzzy avatar and write about how much I hate war games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chester
United States
Temple
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe to please everyone we should have both a welcoming committee AND an execution squad...to help old worthless Geeks on their way. If you get tired of serving on one, you can just flip over to the other one.

This is another elegant solution to the trivial Geeklists issue. Just off the mothers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.