GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,505 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
20 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
6 Posts

Long Shot» Forums » Rules

Subject: Hangin' Ten question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Fabricio Bandeira
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Horse no. 10, "Hangin' Ten", has the following feature:

"At the beginning of your turn, if is in the lead, and at least 4 spaces ahead of any other horses, collect $10."

During a game last night, a friend of mine, owner of "Hangin' Ten", tried to claim $10 in his turn in the following situation:

1. "Hangin' Ten" was the leader.

2. "Hangin' Ten" was 1, 2 and 3 spaces ahead of several horses, BUT it was also ahead 4 and 5 spaces of other horses. So, technically, "Hangin' Ten" was "at least 4 spaces ahead of any other horses".

We ruled that the meaning of "Hangin' Ten" feature is that its owner may claim $ 10 if the horse leads and is at least 4 spaces ahead of the second place. But I promised him that I would post a question to be sure. So here it is, any thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Sartain
United States
Auburn
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules are very clear about the lead horse. They state: "Once ONE horse has finished the race, there is no longer a lead horse or a lead space." So that addresses SumoBobFrisco's comment.

However, even though I have played Long Shot with the author I quess #10 has never really been in the lead so the question posed by kiko has never been addressed. My guess is that it would say "all other horses" if that is what was intended. To me, now that I'm thinking about it, "any other horses" means at least one horse but not necessarily all other horses.In this case kiko's friend would be correct. However, the more correct English in this case would be "any other horse" not horses. Si I'm at a loss to come up with a definitive answer. Therefore I will defer to Chris (the author) on this one. He is very good about responding to Long Shot questions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fabricio Bandeira
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for your answers. And there I was, thinking that everyone would say "no way, your friend is nuts!". Well, let's see what Chris has to say about it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fabricio Bandeira
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, any word from the designer?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Handy
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"At the beginning of your turn, if is in the lead, and at least 4 spaces ahead of any other horses, collect $10."

Hangin' Ten needs to be ahead of ALL other horses by at least 4 spaces. That means that the closest horse trailing him, must be 4 spaces away.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fabricio Bandeira
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks a lot, Chris. That was exactly my understanding and how we have ruled then.

Great game, we have a blast every time we play it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.