Recommend
4 
 Thumb up
 Hide
15 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » Chit Chat

Subject: Earth Quake in Ontario rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dave
Canada
Kinda SW of Hamilton
Ontario
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Just had a quake this afternoon here in Ontario, Canada.

http://southwesternontario.ctv.ca/news.php?id=7643
http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/capress/100623/national/earthquak...


In my short-sightedness I've only prepared for the zombie apocalypse. Any of you Cali-fornicators (or anyone else for that matter) got survival tips to share?
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
Would you like steak with that?
badge
Have another Keith's
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Strange thing was that I was in California last week when they had a quake Monday evening.

Now I'm back home and this happens.

I think I'm being followed...
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SAKURA in KYOTO 2018 Back to Kansai
England
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
That bowling ball on the shelf above your bed. You'll want to move that. No, take it off the shelf.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Bentley
United States
Cleburne
Texas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmm, didn't someone just post a video here the other day with some kid predicting this....maybe not that specific area, but close...?

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/535806/attention-citizens-of...

(Sorry, I don't know any other way to post the link to that thread...)

Weird. Get out the tin-foil hats!



Edit: Well, good grief. I just clicked on the link, it says the video has been taken down due to copyright claims. Nuts.

Good thing I downloaded it when I had the chance. It's pretty funny!


2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave
Canada
Kinda SW of Hamilton
Ontario
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
EYE of NiGHT wrote:
That bowling ball on the shelf above your bed. You'll want to move that. No, take it off the shelf.


jrbentley wrote:
Get out the tin-foil hats!


Ok, I made a rather cool tin foil hat that I am now wearing... ah hell I'll tell the truth, I've wrapped myself in tin foil (now The Nature will not be able to detect my thoughts, and shouldn't be able to find me) and I threw the cat's bowling ball out the window. I should be good.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave
Canada
Kinda SW of Hamilton
Ontario
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Damn... I just realized that my shiny new suit will reflect the sun and attract the undead.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morgan Dontanville
United States
Charlottesville
VA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Plate of Shrimp.
badge
Here we are folks, the dream we all dream of.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
jrbentley wrote:
Hmmm, didn't someone just post a video here the other day with some kid predicting this....maybe not that specific area, but close...?


If you think that Ontario is close to British Columbia then ...
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Bentley
United States
Cleburne
Texas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
sisteray wrote:
jrbentley wrote:
Hmmm, didn't someone just post a video here the other day with some kid predicting this....maybe not that specific area, but close...?


If you think that Ontario is close to British Columbia then ...


I didn't mean to imply that it was adjacent to it....I know it's not. I have a good friend who owns a home in B.C. .....I just said that to make a point about the video...that's all...

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Barlow
Canada
Stratford
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
No one takes the time to read anymore.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
and here I thought I was movin' away from an earthquake zone...
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boo
Canada
Kanata
ON
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The quake was only a 5.5, most of the affected area sits on the Canadian shield, and we have pretty good construction laws here, basically I think there was a bunch of panic over nothing, it is not like we have any chance of falling into the ocean. I was in my car and I thought that a good breeze was making my car shake until I looked at the trees and the truck next to me. Overall having all the traffic lights and power out in my area for about 1 hour had more of an effect on me.

I am more worried about zombies. zombie
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Bentley
United States
Cleburne
Texas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
walk_softly wrote:
The quake was only a 5.5, most of the affected area sits on the Canadian shield, and we have pretty good construction laws here, basically I think there was a bunch of panic over nothing, it is not like we have any chance of falling into the ocean. I was in my car and I thought that a good breeze was making my car shake until I looked at the trees and the truck next to me. Overall having all the traffic lights and power out in my area for about 1 hour had more of an effect on me.

I am more worried about zombies. zombie


But how are your telephone poles?

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Jennings
United States
San Diego
CA
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
My family in Rochester, NY felt the quake. It's extremely rare to get them out that way. I found myself calling my family to see if they were okay for a change.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pronoblem baalberith
United States
Pleasantville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Is it just me or do my balls itch?
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I had friends in New Haven, Albany and Toronto that reported feeling it. Locally we felt it but I work in a marble fortress. I did not feel it, no one in my building felt it, but surrounding homes and offices were shook.

Connecticut River valley is pretty active but not very large quakes.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave
Canada
Kinda SW of Hamilton
Ontario
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Found this link to a video from a guy in Ottawa. He was making it when the quake happened. Shows how loud it was too. Hope the link works.

http://www.weather.com/outlook/videos/raw-earthquake-shakes-...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Lartigue
United States
Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I felt it in Western Mass. Not much, but definitely felt something.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.