Babylon 5 Collectible Card Game» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Combos rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jolly Roger
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
One of the most important aspects of deck building for B5 is finding cards that can really push your deck over the edge. These are some card combos to help give you the edge. Please feel free to add your own.

Big Military.

A classic that lets you sponsor fleet enhancements as faction enhancements for regular price. All 4 squadron enhancements make your fleets all +4 military. Your multiple deep space fleets can tangle with almost anyone else's main battle fleets now. Also the most ridiculous powerup/B5 influence killer Mass Drivers.

A well timed war conflict vs a location can make your fleets invincible and lower Babylon 5 influence by incredible amounts. One game I dropped it from 12 down to 1 in a single turn.

Infinite Event Recursion

With a 45 card deck and cards that help you blaze through that deck very quickly, you can use multiple You Do Not Understand to recycle really anything you want to from you discard pile. Then draw them with effects like Malachi, Balus, and Teeps. You can re use you are not ready to cancel everyone else's conflicts, you can use trade windfall to gain lots of influence, you can use shadow strike to kill every fleet in the game, basically whatever you want...

Sneaky Shadows

Hello bum rush. Ramp up shadow influence as fast as possible using Z'ha'dum Awakened. Search for anything you need with the medallion, each contact with the shadows basically gains you one power. When shadow influence hits 19, push over the brink for about 12 influence and reap a nice 4 power boost, which will probably win you the game right then and there.

That's enough for now, I'll post more later.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Schneider
Slovakia
Presov
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice thread with great combos. I am quite new with the game, so did not have time to get through the combos and looking for those. :)

Btw - I am not sure the Infinite Event Recursion will work really good. I mean, You Do Not Understand lets you pick two random cards thus you do not know which one actually made it to your deck again. Sounds quite risky if the strategy depends on it.

If you have more of those, let them come!
:)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Mason
United Kingdom
Edinburgh
Midlothian
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
axolos wrote:
Nice thread with great combos. I am quite new with the game, so did not have time to get through the combos and looking for those.

Btw - I am not sure the Infinite Event Recursion will work really good. I mean, You Do Not Understand lets you pick two random cards thus you do not know which one actually made it to your deck again. Sounds quite risky if the strategy depends on it.

If you have more of those, let them come!

The key to infinite event recycling is only having 2 cards in your discard pile; that way you know exactly what you're getting. B5 is unusual in having no hand size limits and open ended card drawing so it's perfectly feasible to end a game with almost no discards. That and most discards are events anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sturv Tafvherd
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jollyrogercjf wrote:
Infinite Event Recursion

With a 45 card deck and cards that help you blaze through that deck very quickly, you can use multiple You Do Not Understand to recycle really anything you want to from you discard pile. Then draw them with effects like Malachi, Balus, and Teeps. You can re use you are not ready to cancel everyone else's conflicts, you can use trade windfall to gain lots of influence, you can use shadow strike to kill every fleet in the game, basically whatever you want...

Actually, I agree with Axolos.

Getting that combo to work takes a long time and a lot of work. Keeping your discard pile small enough will be hard to do considering that you're also trying to draw most (or all) of your deck into your hand.

In my opinion, the Human player will have Alliance of Races completed more often than the Centauri can get an event recursed through the deck.

(edit to add)

And actually, with Malachi on the table, you can probably power-politics your way to victory pretty fast.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sturv Tafvherd
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jollyrogercjf wrote:
Sneaky Shadows

Hello bum rush. Ramp up shadow influence as fast as possible using Z'ha'dum Awakened. Search for anything you need with the medallion, each contact with the shadows basically gains you one power. When shadow influence hits 19, push over the brink for about 12 influence and reap a nice 4 power boost, which will probably win you the game right then and there.

The hard part here is getting it started. And the way I would do it is to have these as my starting hand

William Morgan Clark (starts with a shadow mark)

The Lure of Shadow (2nd mark, and can get more shadow marks)

Shadow Medallion (lowers shadow requirements, and can get cards that require shadow marks)

Zhadum Awakened (to give the Shadows "automatic" influence)

Once you have enough shadow marks, you can switch in Forced Evolution and accelerate the march up of Shadow influence. In the meantime, there's a lot of cards that can do crazy stuff if you have the shadow marks for it. I'm actually thinking that you can go for a War and win through War Conflicts, especially considering the juicy shadow fleets that you can access.

You do have to be careful, however, of what the other players are doing -- you're aiming for a Major Victory here, and that means you need to have 10 power over the next-highest opponent. So getting to 20 power might not be enough.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steye
Netherlands
Nijmegen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Psi Cop Rangers!

Bester + The Corps is Father + The Corps is Mother + Ranger Operations

Build to 10 influence (if possible use The Corps is Mother). Discard The Corps is Mother + The Corps is Father. Search for a agenda and place it into play (Nobody Can Stop Us), a Psi Cop (Reprogrammer) and a Psi Corps Group (Psi Corps Intelligence)

Psi Corps Intelligence: Rotate to initiate an additional Psi Conflict with another player. If succesful, look at the top 4 cards of his deck. You may place 1 card at the bottom of his deck.

Ranger Operations: Apply 5 influence, target a player, turn over the top card of his deck. If the card is a character, put it into play for the target player. If not: discard the card.

This combo will disrupt the strategy of most other players. If you manage to initiate 2 psi conflicts every turn, it will give you a nice influence boost early in the game, using Nobody can stop us. Just make sure you protect these 2 groups.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Schneider
Slovakia
Presov
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jollyrogercjf wrote:
A well timed war conflict vs a location can make your fleets invincible and lower Babylon 5 influence by incredible amounts. One game I dropped it from 12 down to 1 in a single turn.

How did you manage that??? surprise

You could have used three of Mass Drivers to lower it by 3. Where did the other 8 points of Babylon 5 influence go?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.