GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,487 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
17 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
5 Posts

Intruder» Forums » Sessions

Subject: My first game of Intruder rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jorge Arroyo
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've had this game for ages and have been meaning to give it a try for a while. In the end it was today that I sat, set it up and started reading the rules. It's funny because the game is pretty simple to play once you read the rules and play a couple of turns. Easier than I expected...

My first game started with the Engineer on the Maintenance section starting work on a prob. The other engineer headed there too to make a second one next turn.

The hidden animal/dummy/intruder counters moved around a bit and during the first rounds I discovered a couple of dummy ones.

After a short while some of the crew members had managed to get weapons and a couple of cages, so when I discovered a couple of animals they were quickly put on the permanent cages on the lab easily.

After that I turned a few dummy counters so that only two face down counters remained. The first one a commander with a blaster encountered was the Intruder. At this point it was at stage too and was resistant to flame, sleep darts and vacuum.

The intruder didn't attack, and the commander couldn't try to kill it yet, so it got away into one of the rooms to transform into the 3rd stage and gain a power. Next to the alien I gathered three men: the commander with the blaster, an engineer with a prob and another with a gas tank, as the one with the prob was unable to reach the alien this turn. This proved fatal for him as the alien moved and attacked right away. BTW, its new power was strength.

Luckily for the rest of the crew, the gas tank did the trick and the alien was killed without further losses. A total of 2 points and a first time win for me

I had fun and as I said found the game to be pretty simple to play. The rules do get in the way a bit as they're all over the place but each phase is clearly covered with all necessary steps. After a couple of turns, most actions become automatic and I only had to look up the special actions when I wanted to perform them, as well as combat and metamorphosis. But it didn't take long and I didn't feel the game dragged down.

So, I look forward to more plays. I realize I was very lucky this time as I got many dummy counters which made things much easier. I also managed to kill the intruder on the same phase it killed the crewman so I didn't have to go into Panic. This would have made the game longer and potentially harder, but well... with two crewmen with weapons I had a pretty good chance anyway...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John McKendrick
United Kingdom
Glasgow
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've lost my rules ---- well I haven't... they're in the room of hell with several hundred other games. The vast majority are in good order.. but just sometimes I take rules out to read them and don't put them back immediately....shake

I still have the map and have printed out new counters (didn't like the luminous intruders - kinda spoiled the game somewhat)

Can anyone help?

Regards

John
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
castiglione
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
badge
Glad you had fun playing Intruder. I always thought the AI system it used (numbers on the map) was pretty clever and I don't know why more games didn't use it.

The rules are a little bit all over the place but I thought they pretty straightforward compared to Last Frontier: The Vesuvius Incident.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Tate
United Kingdom
Banbury
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've got a copy of the game mate,I'll see if I can remember to take them to work...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John McKendrick
United Kingdom
Glasgow
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Ben!

Will post a session report as soon as my crew can escape the Prometheus!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.