GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
7,890 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
21 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
17 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Looking for an old boardgame..... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: identify [+] [View All]
James Crane
United States
Addison
Texas
flag msg tools
Supplies!!!
badge
What's in the box?
mbmbmbmbmb
I know that this is going to be vague, but I am searching out an old boardgame that my uncle used to own and was destroyed when a water heater burst. Here's all the info that I can remember:

1) The game was in a large, rectangular box.
2) The insert to allow for division of pieces was covered in a brown felt.
3) It was some sort of fantasy board game. It was not Dungeonquest, Heroquest, or The New Dungeon.
4) The game would have been out some time between 88 and 92. I know this is broad, but again, I was only 10-12 at the time and only saw the game one time. We lived in Texas.
5) The game came with shiny gold plastic coins.

AS i said, I have only seen this game once, almost or over 20 years ago and would appreciate any and all help I can get in figuring out what it is. I believe the box it came in was a dark brown color, and featured a dragon or scary dungeon-like thing on the cover.

Thanks for the help!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
No idea, but those criteria are pretty good.

Have you tried the advanced search here? Put in those years, fantasy theme . . . browse the box picture?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg CZ
Hungary
BUDAPEST
Budapest
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Coins like this perhaps??

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Toco
Belgium
Oost-Vlaanderen
Vlaanderen
flag msg tools
designer
badge
www.tocoking.be/hotspot
mbmbmbmbmb
Any idea about the art? (Board, box, ...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Truscello
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
An older version of talisman maybe? They have shiny gold coins at that date 2nd edition maybe. Box description doesn't match warhammer quest. I would like to know too. Puzzles are fun
Didn't they make D&D board games? Maybe it was one of them?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Crane
United States
Addison
Texas
flag msg tools
Supplies!!!
badge
What's in the box?
mbmbmbmbmb
It is entirely possible that could be it, but if it's linking back to that dragon masters game, was there a deluxe edition that was super nice?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Crane
United States
Addison
Texas
flag msg tools
Supplies!!!
badge
What's in the box?
mbmbmbmbmb
Gonna bump this in the hopes that time will help us remember....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S C
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
VvNeo2000vV wrote:
An older version of talisman maybe? They have shiny gold coins at that date 2nd edition maybe. Box description doesn't match warhammer quest. I would like to know too. Puzzles are fun
Didn't they make D&D board games? Maybe it was one of them?

2nd Ed talisman gold was small square yellow chits. If you have coins thats been 'pimped'.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Crane
United States
Addison
Texas
flag msg tools
Supplies!!!
badge
What's in the box?
mbmbmbmbmb
I will never forget what brought me to the greatest website on earth.

IT MUST BE FOUND!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clive Cleland
Australia
Baulkham Hills
NSW
flag msg tools
I supported because ...
badge
my silence is not questioned, nor is my presence, and sometimes there's magic!
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you have any other memories of this game that might help in the search? Vague recollection of colours, pieces, shapes, ... would all help.

I can't believe I'm about to suggest this, but the shiny coins and "We lived in Texas" produced: Texas Renaissance Festival Game

You're welcome whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Bettzieche
Germany
Ladenburg
Baden Württemberg
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Given the information you provided, I entered this into the geeksearch:

klick

Any of those ringing a bell?

Kind regards,
Kai
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't remember what the inside of the box looked like (and I doubt it was "brown felt") but the rest of the description is dead-on for:

Talisman (third edition)

Pete (also sees it was published in 1994, but a 10-12 year old might be off by a couple of years)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Smith
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mb
Warhammer quest had the inserts but after looking it up it was published in '95 so that's a little out of your timeline.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Crane
United States
Addison
Texas
flag msg tools
Supplies!!!
badge
What's in the box?
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks so much for the help on this!!!

I am very sure about the time frame, because we would move every year or every other year, dad just liked new scenery...so it all coincides with the fact that I saw the game at my uncle's old apartment in college station before he moved to San Marcos for school...it was one of the years that we lived in college station, after we had moved back to Texas from Arizona in 1987.

And we were only in college station until 1993, so the game was made, realistically between 87 and 93, which I did the advanced search for when I first found the website...I seem to recall that the cover art for the box was fairly busy and colorful, almost like a city environment or the town square inside of a castle.

Brown felt inserts, a busy, colorful box, gold coins and it was destroyed by a water heater leak!!!

I have also asked the uncle who had the game and he has no clue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
15 Keys
United States
Living in the Delco
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Did he buy it during that time period? Did he buy it new? Did he buy it new from a retail store?

It could be an older game than that time frame, so you may want to expand your search.

I know the old Conquest of the Empire had gold coins, (not shiny), had busy cover art, but....yeah, probably not that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Crane
United States
Addison
Texas
flag msg tools
Supplies!!!
badge
What's in the box?
mbmbmbmbmb
It would have been bought between 87 and 92...I remember because he mentioned that he had a new game to play with me and my cousins, we saw it while we were at his house to play a d&d version of Robinson Crusoe on Mars and we looked at it before he put it away to get back to us trying to burn rocks on the Martian planetary surface and not run out of air.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Crane
United States
Addison
Texas
flag msg tools
Supplies!!!
badge
What's in the box?
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I think that after looking yesterday and today, and thank you all so much for the help, I have narrowed it down to one of these four games:

Britannia

Dragon Masters

Blood Royale

Conquest of the Empire

I can rule out Talisman cause we played that game a ton and I LOVED IT!!!!

I knew what all the expansions looked like and what I wanted for Christmas when it came to Talisman.

However, I could not find pics of the inserts...but, I also am remembering this through the haze of all the memories and beer and whiskey and wine and substances that are only legal in those hippy european nations...As for the brown felt insert, it wasn't really felt, but more of that cloth-like feel that they spray on some plastic when they want it to look fancy. It is entirely possible that There was not a brown cloth-like insert and I just added that detail after some other game I played kid of sort of reminded me of it.

As it stands, I think that I am as close as I am ever gonna get to solving this particular mystery, I and I want to say thank you to all who stopped by and helped work on the mystery with me.

Truth be told, I really believe that it is Dragon Masters. The box looks right, it has the coins and looks to have been a sizable game for the time, but until one of you geniuses on here invents time travel, and I can save that game from the water heater, we'll never be sure.

Thanks for the help!!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.