GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,183 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
18 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
11 Posts

Shadows over Camelot» Forums » Rules

Subject: Three questions from a newbie rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Wesley Jones
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
Howdy all!!
I'm new to this game--played twice only.

The Book of Quests, page 3:
"If, for any reason a Knight on a Solo Quest chooses, or is forced, to abandon the Quest before its completion, any White card played on it thus far is automatically removed from the Quest as a penalty and discarded. Any Black card played on the Solo Quest thus far remains in play."

Question 1: Does this mean that on Combat quests and Perpetual quests, if all Knights leave in mid-quest, for any reason, that the white cards on those quests remain?

Rulebook, page 15:
"If all card spots are filled [in the quest of the Holy Grail], remove the closest Despair (or possibly Desolation) card instead, and discard both cards."

Question 2: Does this mean you are sacrificing a white Holy Grail card from your hand to get rid of an already placed black Grail card and thus, discarding two cards to create an empty space?

The Book of Quests, page 11:
"When spending a turn in Camelot, a Knight may either:
Stay at the Round table. . . .
Or visit the Siege area to try and destroy a Siege Engine"

Question 3: O.K. This is a dumb, silly question, but I'm going to ask it anyway. It seems pointless to "visit the Siege area" before you try and destroy a Siege Engine. You're already at the Round table by default, so why pick up your Knight and move it to the Siege area to fight a Siege Engine? Why not just leave it at the round table and say, "I'm going to try and destroy a Siege Engine!"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Klinck
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Answer 1: Yes.

Answer 2: Yes.

Answer 3: It's just a matter of wording/game flavour. How can you attack a siege engine outside when you're at the table inside? It doesn't cost you anything to move back and forth between the two areas in Camelot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly Bass
United States
Venice
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
luvmywife wrote:
Question 1: Does this mean that on Combat quests and Perpetual quests, if all Knights leave in mid-quest, for any reason, that the white cards on those quests remain?

Yes, the white cards remain, even if all the knights leave a non-solo quest.

luvmywife wrote:

Question 2: Does this mean you are sacrificing a white Holy Grail card from your hand to get rid of an already placed black Grail card and thus, discarding two cards to create an empty space?

Yes, the Holy Grail card you use will be discarded along with the black grail card. You might think of the number of Holy Grail cards needed to succeed is one for each black grail card plus one for each space that doesn't already have a Holy Grail card.

luvmywife wrote:

Question 3: O.K. This is a dumb, silly question, but I'm going to ask it anyway. It seems pointless to "visit the Siege area" before you try and destroy a Siege Engine. You're already at the Round table by default, so why pick up your Knight and move it to the Siege area to fight a Siege Engine? Why not just leave it at the round table and say, "I'm going to try and destroy a Siege Engine!"

You could leave your knight at the table, I suppose, but isn't it so much more fun to have him stand at the parapet overlooking the field of seige engines, then jump down, yelling "For Camelot!" as you attack it, play your fight cards, and roll the die?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wesley Jones
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
I have another question I forgot to ask originally.

The coat of arms card lists 5 possible heroic actions. But then the instructions on page 16 has a section "Additional Heroic Actions: Sacrifice" and describes how you can gain a 2nd heroic action by sacrificing one life point. It seems a bit silly to me to list 5 heroic action choices and then elsewhere say essentially, "Oh wait, there is actually a 6th heroic action you can do too." Why not just list 6 possible heroic actions from the outset and print all 6 on the card, with the 6th one saying,
"Choose any 2 of the above heroic actions by sacrificing one life point."

What am I missing here?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Groth
United States
Appleton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
luvmywife wrote:
But then the instructions on page 16 has a section "Additional Heroic Actions: Sacrifice" and describes how you can gain a 2nd heroic action by sacrificing one life point. It seems a bit silly to me to list 5 heroic action choices and then elsewhere say essentially, "Oh wait, there is actually a 6th heroic action you can do too." Why not just list 6 possible heroic actions from the outset and print all 6 on the card, with the 6th one saying,

What am I missing here?
"Sacrifice" allows you do 2nd heroic action (of a different kind than the first heroic action.) So while it may be noble, it isn't an additional heroic action in and of itself.

Think of it as a 2nd progression of evil stage(losing a life point) in order to gain a 2nd heroic action.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Mc Cabe
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
There are those who look at things the way they are and ask why . . . I dream of things that never were and ask why not
mbmbmbmbmb
To clarify your question regarding the Grail Quest, your confusion might be that the Desolation card (which you mentioned in your post) removes a White Grail card but replaces it and stays in play, whether all spots are filled or not.

With the Black Grail and White Grail cards, the track must be completely full and the next one played of either color does get discarded and discards one of the opposite color.

Brian

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Thomason
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
luvmywife wrote:
I have another question I forgot to ask originally.

The coat of arms card lists 5 possible heroic actions. But then the instructions on page 16 has a section "Additional Heroic Actions: Sacrifice" and describes how you can gain a 2nd heroic action by sacrificing one life point. It seems a bit silly to me to list 5 heroic action choices and then elsewhere say essentially, "Oh wait, there is actually a 6th heroic action you can do too." Why not just list 6 possible heroic actions from the outset and print all 6 on the card, with the 6th one saying,

What am I missing here?

What you're missing is that "Additional Heroic Actions: Sacrifice" does not mean "Sacrifice" is an additional heroic action. There isn't a 6th type of action, there are 5. Sacrifice is not an action.

It means the option to "Sacrifice" allows you to take an "Additional Heroic Action" which must be one of the 5 types of Heroic actions, and additionally, must be a DIFFERENT TYPE of Heroic Action from the one you took already.

The key is, you don't choose Sacrifice as your action and then do two; rather you do your regular action, then after that's done you can choose, if you decide to, to gain a second Heroic Action by making the Sacrifice. One advantage that understanding the rules this way gives you is that you can wait to find out the results of your first action before deciding if you want to take a second action.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Heinikel
United States
Garland
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey guys this is severely off topic, but I was wondering if someone could tell me the card sleeve size needed for these cards. DOW has forums complaining about dirty cards. I have a copy on the way, but want sleeves by the time it gets here. Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Dew
United States
Hinesville
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Donore wrote:
Hey guys this is severely off topic, but I was wondering if someone could tell me the card sleeve size needed for these cards. DOW has forums complaining about dirty cards. I have a copy on the way, but want sleeves by the time it gets here. Thanks.

FFG's Standard Euro size is what I use (purple). A little tall, but they feel safe in there, so they tell me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Warren
United Kingdom
Wisbech
CAMBRIDGESHIRE
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"Elves are very good at board games, and I'm NOT an elf!"
mbmbmbmbmb
luvmywife wrote:

What am I missing here?

You are missing that it is printed on the coat of arms. Underneath the 5 possible Heroic Actions it says that you can perform a second Heroic Action by sacrificing 1 life point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bogdan-Andrei Ion
Romania
Bucuresti
Sector 1
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Donore wrote:

Maydays Std USA (Purple) 2 packs (56x87 cm)

fits flawless. they have even an pdf on their website withh all fitting sleeves for all games

cheers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.