Mark Laufgraben
United States
Ballwin
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mb
I want to replace moldy ol' Pope with Grant. Pope is on the board, but not a theater commander. Grant is in my command pool. May I play a CnC card to switch Pope with Grant? At the end of this prospective move, Grant would be in command of Pope's one or two corps, and Pope would be in the command pool, writing nasty letters about Grant to the northern papers.

Thanks in advance!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Griffey
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My understanding is no, because you can't reduce a Field Commander below his minimum number of corps, which is one (1). However, if Pope has two corps, you could play Commander-in-Chief as an event to deploy Grant to Pope's region (assuming it's a region in Supply) and immediately transfer to Grant one of Pope's two corps.

You can send Pope to the Force Pool only three ways: 1) if he loses all his corps to Battle, March Attrition, or Campaign Attrition. 2) If you Sack Pope after he loses a battle and you have a commander in the Force Pool, you can replace Pope immediately with that commander, during either the enemy Impulse or your own Impulse. Best of all, you can do this without playing a CinC card. Or, after Sacking Pope and sending him to the Force Pool in your own Impulse, you can play a CinC card and transfer a commander on the map to take over Pope's corps. 3) Pope can be "Shot from the Saddle" or get hit by "Clash of Egos" and thus sent to the Force Pool. But again, you've then got to have a commander in the Force Pool with which to replace him, or he bounces back immediately from the Force Pool back into his old Field Army command. Also, if you've got another commander on the map and can play CinC you could move a new commander over to take Pope's corps. You'd then have to have a third commander who could take over the corps which Pope's replacement was commanding, or you could have the new commander and Pope trade places.

The South can also Sack Pope after Pope loses a Battle, by playing one of your own CinC cards against you, but the South won't be that nice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Laufgraben
United States
Ballwin
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks for the answer!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christoph Mahlstedt
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AnimalMother wrote:
My understanding is no, [...]

Hello from Germany!

Having pulled out the game once again out of my cupboard, I´m trying to teach it to myself while playing a solo game. But even during the very first steps I encounter problems which I can´t solve on my own. So I´ve to bump this thread, because it deals with my questions.

Rule 7.2.4. says, that no army of a field commander can be deliberately reduce to fewer than one corps - but, in my eyes, it doesn´t prohibit the simple replacing of an field commander. I read the (to me most difficult chapter of the whole rulebook) chapter 7 now at least four times, but I didn´t get the point, when one is allowed to replace commanders.

I assume that the most important rule concerning my questions is 7.4.2. Can it (partly) be expressed in other words, saying the following:

"Theater AND field commanders can only be removed from their commands after losing all corps, beeing sacked after a defeat or a CLASH OF EGOS or SHOT FROM THE SADDLE"

So this would strictly prohibit my following first step with the USA, which is: Playing the C-in-C-Core Card, replace McDowell with McClellan, add two new corps to Washington (2 OP), promote McClellan to TC in the east and reorganize his army (3rd OP).
Instead of that, I would have to operate a little with McDowell, trying to catch a defeat and than replace him.

Concluding, I´m aware that it is possible to swap commanders via a C-in-C-Card, but in the above mentioned case McClellan is not on the board.

Thank you in advance!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Senator1979 wrote:

So this would strictly prohibit my following first step with the USA, which is: Playing the C-in-C-Core Card, replace McDowell with McClellan, add two new corps to Washington (2 OP), promote McClellan to TC in the east and reorganize his army (3rd OP).
Instead of that, I would have to operate a little with McDowell, trying to catch a defeat and than replace him.

Concluding, I´m aware that it is possible to swap commanders via a C-in-C-Card, but in the above mentioned case McClellan is not on the board.

That is also my reading of things. You're stuck with McD barring Clash of Egos. However, getting McC to TC can be done on the first turn, slap down the Abe card (3OP), place McC and 2 corps (since this is your limit early) to Washington, bump him up to TC and transfer one of McD's corps to him. Use the last OP to reorganize Washington and Army of the Potomac (3 corps) is ready to attack for the last campaign round of the first turn.

While I haven't so far managed to get Grant up to Eastern TC, if you were looking to do that, you probably would want McD to be ETC first, get him sacked from a defeat (not that hard ), replace him with McC, who too should lose and get sacked, then you could have someone like Burnside be the fall guy for the third required ETC sacking. Then you just need Grant to win 2 battles, hop in as WTC and come on over.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.