Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joel Moots
United States
Riley
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am really, really drawn to this game. My wife thinks it sounds like fun too but believes she would not be good at flicking. Is that a deal breaker? Do you have to be "good enough" (whatever that means) at flicking to make the game worthwhile?

-joel
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
The skill levels of players should be reasonably similar. If you are both lousy flickers it would be fine. If one is expert... not so much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd
United States
Bridgewater
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
All glory to the Hypnotoad!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm terrible and I still had fun getting owned as the overlord. I think it everyone's equal in the flicking department, they'll all have fun. If some flicking hustler joins a game with a bunch of newbies, it'll be a lot less fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Moots
United States
Riley
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Does this mean if there's only one lousy flicker, we could make him/her the Overlord? Is there anyway to add a handicap to somehow aid a bad flicker?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd
United States
Bridgewater
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
All glory to the Hypnotoad!
mbmbmbmbmb
You'd probably want the best person as overlord, since they're alone but the hero side gets four people. This way, even if the heroes are all pretty bad, they still have the numbers.

In my game, everyone was bad so I just took overlord so we'd have a good time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Lloyd
United States
League City
Texas
flag msg tools
Canadian Game Design Award: http://www.fallcon.com/design
badge
Canadian Game Design Award: http://www.fallcon.com/design
mbmbmbmbmb
In my experience it depends on how many folks are playing and what characters.

1 on 1 the better flicker will dominate, 1 on 4 the better flicker effect gets diluted down if he is one of the heroes.

The other factor is the components. There is the seam in the middle of the board that effects play, the obstacles are (in my opinion) too light and loose in the holes to accurately make bank shots consistantly. The board is also kinda cramped and feels small for some of the dungeon levels, this hinders the better flickers.Some of the discs are not perfectly cut and some are really light and small.

We have a fellow who is a really good Crokinole player and even he has a hard time occasionally.

I say ya buy it, it really is a fun and exciting game, even with these minor flaws.

Peace
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Albritton
United States
Tupelo
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jmoots wrote:
Is there anyway to add a handicap to somehow aid a bad flicker?

Yes, or even make it harder for a good flicker. There is a recommended default "01112" room progression. You could let the best flicker play the Overlord and reduce the number of rooms needed (and their difficulty, if you wanted) to reach the final room and/or start the Heroes with some gold.

Conversely, and for a longer game, you could let the worst flicker play the Overlord and increase the number of rooms needed (and their difficulty) in the dungeon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Toussaint
Germany
Karlsruhe
flag msg tools
I don't play this game as overlord to actually win. I think it's much better to guarantee that everybody has fun - especially the players. I'm not that attached to my monsters that I really mind loosing them in battle. There are more of them in the next room.
I think it's better to let the worst flicker be the overlord. In that case you can use more level 2 rooms if play is to easy.

Chris
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron Chien
United States
Rancho Cucamonga
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree that it doesn't matter if the best flicker is the Overlord or not, it just depends on what kind of player he/she is. If the best player is the Overlord, then you definitely should be ready to drop a room or two if the Heroes are really struggling. I don't set up the rooms like shown in the manual, I make a stack and just flip over the top card when they come to the next room. This way they never really know how many rooms there are, and won't know that I skipped one or two to take it easy on them.

I will add my voice to the others that the Overlord should play to win, but not crush the Heroes. At the same time, it should be a challenge for the Heroes.

Cameron
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Moots
United States
Riley
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Alright, I placed my preorder. (Worst case I play solo left hand against right hand.) Thanks everyone!

-joel

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Perschbacher
United States
Phoenix
AZ
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just have her be the Thief and buy the cloak of invisibility. Perfect for non-flickers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Moots
United States
Riley
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Amazingly, B&B just shipped my order even though it was originally not expected to arrive till late July! So, we'll soon find out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yeh Fang
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
In my first game I played the overlord, I played against a guy who wasn't a good flicker, so I semi-intentionally whiffed shots, or went after characters that still had health to balance the game and not be mean. I think it's the same as playing RPGs as the DM. Sometimes a DM will ignore a result if the players are doing too badly to help keep the game fun. On the final room though, no mercy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.