GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
10,482 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
13 Days Left

Support:

Bob Marso
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
mb
Being a huge Settlers fan who often only can find one other person to play with, I try two player variants of Settlers despite lacking in gameplay.

While I could see myself one day buy and try variants of this game to try to make it fun for two, I'm curious if this game was ever considered officially playable with two?

The reason I ask, has to do with seeing at one point various sites including BGG posting "2-4" Players. Now they all say "3-4" Was this just an error in the press release or something else?

In any event, I'm looking forward to the game coming out.

Bob
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I juggle cats.
United States
Indianapolis
IN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
From a read of the rulebook, I don't know why you couldn't use the same 2p variant as basic Catan.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffery Qualey
United States
Odenton
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I played this with 3 and 4 players and loved it.

There could be a problem with 2 players:
You cannot deliver your goods to your own towns, so you are depending on the builds of the one other player to ship your goods. You could easily stalemate the game by refusing to build the last town(s) the other player needs to ship goods. It is also possible to block the other player's direct route of access to your towns by building incomplete routes. This could make them spend much more resources going around you. Lowering the amount of goods may resolve this problem satisfactorily.

It is better as a 3-4 player game, because there are more people looking out for their own interests, which ultimately means more places for you to ship your goods.

A 2 player version seems to be possible and a 5-6 player version seems to be possible (with additional components) as long as the number of towns and goods is adjusted. Keep in mind, there are only so many initial places to build and total places to build.

Recommendations for playtesting
(In addition to first 3 towns placed on the board during setup):

2 players = 9 towns and 8-9 goods OR
2 players = 14 towns and 16 goods (play two colors each)

3 players = 9 towns and 10 goods (per rules)
4 players = 7 towns and 8 goods (per rules)

(In addition to first 2 towns placed on the board during setup):

5 players = 5 towns and 6 goods
6 players = 4 towns and 5 goods

Edits:
I initially forgot about the first 3 towns on the board. This changed much of what I originally said about the problems with a 2 person game and changed all the recommendations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffery Qualey
United States
Odenton
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah...It should work:

Players/
Starting Spaces Used/
Maximum Towns on Board/
Maximum Goods on Board (At Win)

2*...12.....40.....29
3.....12**.39.....28

*Using 2 colors each
**Including 3 "dummy" towns in standard setup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Marso
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks for the variant. Question:
When you play a 2 player game and each player plays 2 colors,
would you allow trading between your own 2 colors?

Bob

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C. B.
msg tools
I think the big holdup on 2 players would be the spots you can deliver goods to. Particularly since any "neutral" spots would end up on the eastern side of the board. Also, it would deplete the east coast a lot slower since only two of you are moving westward.

so how about a variation of building other-color cities that you can deliver to?

Then I start thinking that wants more grain and cattle than a whole other player who would be wanting ore and coal, too, so...

How about this?
- Each player plays one color of their own. Also, set up a secondary color for each player, but with only 6 cities, 6 locked goods cubes, 1 starting goods cube, 1 settler, and 1 train.
- The secondary-color settler is built as normal, moves as normal, and produces cities of that color (creating a new spot to deliver to).
- The secondary-color train is built as normal and moves as normal, but requires paying 1 gold to the bank for right-of-way on your primary-color rails, which also means it needs a 1 gold payment when it is built on your rail. It can deliver goods of its matching color to your own cities at a cost of 1 gold per delivery. (Thus it can reduce the number of spots the opponent can deliver to.)

Thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.