Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Greg Perschbacher
United States
Phoenix
AZ
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all, I own Kingsburg and Stone Age and i generally like worker placement games. Is this one unique enough to get when i already own the others.

Sorry, no time to read the rules before the Kickstarter thingy ends.

Greg
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gunther Schmidl
Austria
Linz
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
It's nothing like Stone Age and only remotely like Kingsburg in that you roll dice and put them on spots.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Little
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
This is why I have my eye on this game - I really enjoy the dice placement mechanic of Kingsburg and this game looks to have this mechanic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juan Pardo
Spain
Madrid
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can actually download the rules at check for yourself how it handles de resources.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Leonard
United States
North Canton
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The dice placement mechanic is similar to Alea Iacta Est.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Filipe Cunha
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
eluvitar wrote:
Hi all, I own Kingsburg and Stone Age and i generally like worker placement games. Is this one unique enough to get when i already own the others.

Greg

Generally, in Kingsburg, the higher you get on rolls, the better. This doesn't happen in Alien Frontier as much, since the die face determine the possibilities where you can palce your dice, not how high you rolled.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Paul
United States
Seattle
WA
flag msg tools
badge
man lying down on job voluntarily
mbmbmbmbmb
Kingsburg felt like Yahtzee with dice manipulation (which I liked) and Alien Frontiers takes it a step further and adds to the dice manipulation a strategy game element. I think they're different enough, but I also think there's a chance you may not want to play Kingsburg anymore once you start playing Alien Frontiers...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Hoppe
United States
Marysville
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
crunk_posby wrote:
,... "but I also think there's a chance you may not want to play Kingsburg anymore once you start playing Alien Frontiers...

No more Kingsburg, really? Wow, that would be huge for me since I really like Kingsburg. And having a game I would like even more? You tease me sir. May all your whimsical sayings be frowned upon for the rest of the day. GOOD DAY!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tory Niemann
United States
Maricopa
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
eluvitar wrote:

Greg

Good question. If you've read my thread or GeekList on the origin of Alien Frontiers, you'll know that I was inspired by Kingsburg, but not how it actually plays, how I thought it played when I read a brief description. So while they are similar in some superficial fashions, I feel that the use of dice impacts strategy much differently in Alien Frontiers than Kingsburg.

Stone Age is actually closer to the feel of Alien Frontiers, though the order of operations is reversed. In Stone Age you deploy your workers to different areas and hope you roll well enough to get the best out of those areas. In Alien Frontiers, you roll first and then decide where and how best to use the results. Also you're doing a lot more than gather different kinds of resources. (Don't think I'm ragging on Stone Age; it's a great game that I play frequently these days.)

As Keith Leonard pointed out, Alien Frontiers is much more similar to Alea Iacta Est in the dice mechanics. Or so I'm told, I've not actually played that one yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tory Niemann
United States
Maricopa
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Caladore wrote:
crunk_posby wrote:
,... "but I also think there's a chance you may not want to play Kingsburg anymore once you start playing Alien Frontiers...

No more Kingsburg, really? Wow, that would be huge for me since I really like Kingsburg. And having a game I would like even more? You tease me sir. May all your whimsical sayings be frowned upon for the rest of the day. GOOD DAY!

:D
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Little
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
Kingsburg is gravy - I'm becoming more and more interested in Alien Frontiers now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Bart
United States
Winnetka
California
flag msg tools
designer
Baseball been bery bery good to me
badge
This is a picture of a published game designer
mbmbmbmbmb
tk421 wrote:
Stone Age is actually closer to the feel of Alien Frontiers, though the order of operations is reversed. In Stone Age you deploy your workers to different areas and hope you roll well enough to get the best out of those areas. In Alien Frontiers, you roll first and then decide where and how best to use the results. Also you're doing a lot more than gather different kinds of resources. (Don't think I'm ragging on Stone Age; it's a great game that I play frequently these days.)

I agree. Stone Age has a very similar feel, but Stone Age is very much a dice game. You make decisions, then roll dice to see what happens.

Alien Frontiers does not play like a dice game, it plays like a card game. In a typical card game, you draw cards, then decide what to do with your cards. In Alien Frontiers, you roll your ships and then decide what to do. If the rule said draw one card from the ship deck for each ship, then play your cards, the game would be nearly the same.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Perschbacher
United States
Phoenix
AZ
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks everyone for the information. Very helpful. thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Alien Frontiers is often compared to Kingsburg. In episode 52 of Game On with Cody & John they answer a listener email about that exact question. It's only 2 minutes long and some people may find their insight helpful.

Game On! with Cody & John #52 from 1hr:15min:34sec to 1hr:17min:28sec
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.