GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,706 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
16 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
16 Posts

Homesteaders» Forums » General

Subject: Questions regarding the second edition rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ingo Griebsch
Germany
Bochum
North Rhine-Westphalia
flag msg tools
Coding Architect | Husband and father | Boardgame addict | Loves Clutch as well as Tricky
badge
Coding Architect | Husband and father | Boardgame addict | Loves Clutch as well as Tricky
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi guys,

Ariel Seoane
Uruguay
Montevideo
Montevideo
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

comments here, that there will be a second edition of homesteaders.

So some questions came up again:

1. Will the quality of the second edition more like a game than a prototype?

2. Will the first edition buyers have the chance to get/buy a fix/replacement kit for the poor components?

3. Will the second edition wider available as the first one?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henrik Lantz
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmm. That is a bit harsh. I have the first edition and it is just fine. But I would really like to see a second printing and I hope it will result in more people getting to try this excellent game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ingo Griebsch
Germany
Bochum
North Rhine-Westphalia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Henrik,

Bolger wrote:
Hmmm. That is a bit harsh.

because I called the first edition a prototype? Look at the image gallery and browse through the forums...

Bolger wrote:
I have the first edition and it is just fine.

than you are one of the lucky guys...

Bolger wrote:
But I would really like to see a second printing and I hope it will result in more people getting to try this excellent game.

I too find the game really good. It is simple to understand the mechanics, plays fast but is full of tight decisions...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ariel Seoane
Uruguay
Montevideo
Montevideo
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
d0gb0t wrote:

Bolger wrote:
Hmmm. That is a bit harsh.

because I called the first edition a prototype? Look at the image gallery and browse through the forums...

Not sure what you mean by prototype, but if you refer to the production quality issues, it is true that there were real issues, and that should not be a problem in the future, given that TMG is working with another company now, one with ample experience in game production for several publishers, with no major issues.

But that was totally outside our control. I've been working as a graphic artist for over 20 years, and never before faced production issues like these. The printer was selected based on cost and previous games they have produced and we had no way to know our games would suffer from these issues. What could TMG do? Throw it all to the garbage can? As far as I know, any really bad piece was replaced when there was a request for that. If your copy is so bad, you should contact Michael. I am sure he will do his best to try to solve the problem. And even if production quality is not what we expected, the game is still much better than many first games by many starting companies.

I cannot answer your other two questions (though given that you can buy the first edition on many web stores including Amazon, I am having a hard time figuring how much wider you can go than that... interplanetary distribution perhaps?), but I expect the production of the new edition to be top notch, based on the credentials of the printer. I am not the one to talk about the art itself, though I think the changes are an improvement too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
-matt s.
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
/geeklist/240879
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with the comments here that the prototype comment is a bit harsh. Yes, there were production issues. TMG was open and honest about it and seemed to make a terrific effort to correct the problem for those that asked. My copy wasn't among those (yes, lucky as well) and, even if it had problems, I wouldn't call it a prototype at all. The components were not 'top notch' but certainly adequate and of a consistent quality.

And, in my opinion, the fact that it's NOT 'top notch' sort of fits the theme/timeframe (westerns are not typically high-gloss, etc). For those people that have played my copy without knowing about the production issues have never said anything about it (other than perhaps upon seeing the back of the auction board) and never seemed to even have a passing thought about it being a prototype. In fact, they were usually quite impressed with the quality and quantity of the bits (especially the wooden ones) as well as the excellent game play (which is really what a game should be about more than anything else)

As to the artwork, I think it's top notch and, having seen some of the updates posted by Ariel, the changes looks spectacular and will be quite interested to see what the final production copy ends up looking like.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Eisen
United States
Redwood City
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The graphic design on the buildings and auction cards is not as slick as that in many games. Looks at first glance how some prototypes look.

This was a conscious decision and I appreciate the ease in reading the cards and the usability. But I can see why this decision would not appeal to everyone.

The construction of the board is inadequate, by the way. Flimsy and seems likely to break with repeated use. That's my one real gripe with the components given that I didn't have any of the production problems others have reported.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ariel Seoane
Uruguay
Montevideo
Montevideo
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
dkeisen wrote:
The graphic design on the buildings and auction cards is not as slick as that in many games. Looks at first glance how some prototypes look.

This was a conscious decision and I appreciate the ease in reading the cards and the usability. But I can see why this decision would not appeal to everyone.

I agree: we (since this is not my personal call, but a team decision involving Alex, Michael and Seth too) thought readability was key, and that might have hurt the visual impact. For the second edition we've tried to improve the looks without giving up on the readability side of things, based on the feedback we got. As you say, it is not possible to please everyone, and while some complain about the original design being too plain, others say they love it because it is so simple. I think the new tiles look better and are still as easy to read as the old ones, but I know some people will find the changes are not enough, while others will say it is too much. I'll be more than happy if most people think it's a step forward.

dkeisen wrote:
The construction of the board is inadequate, by the way. Flimsy and seems likely to break with repeated use. That's my one real gripe with the components given that I didn't have any of the production problems others have reported.

You are 100% right. The board was supposed to be like any regular non-folding board. Like a big tile: paper mounted on 2mm gray chipboard. As simple as that. That is what we asked for, and that is what the printer promised (same goes for Terra Prime's player mats). I have no idea what the printer was thinking when they came up with that weird board made of glued card stock flaps. My guess is they didn't have chipboard, and decided that was a valid replacement. It is strange anyway, since they could have just glued two sheets of card stock together and then trim it; the board would have been flimsy, but without the absurd cuts on the back.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Jaffee
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dkeisen wrote:

Sop you mean you didn't have the OTHER production problems... as Ariel described, the board was not to spec. Frankly however, I think most of the complaints about it are unfounded - it works just as well as the player boards in Puerto Rico for example. It's a shame that in addition to the wonky construction the manufacturer decided to fold them all, the pre-production samples weren't creased like that (and yes, we did tell them they were not to spec). Even still, I think they'll hold up as well as any other game's board. I store mine flat as opposed to folding it, if you're worried it might eventually tear or something along the fold, maybe do that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ingo Griebsch
Germany
Bochum
North Rhine-Westphalia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
HI,

ok, sorry guys for the prototype. This maybe was a little bit unfair. But I only wanted to outline all the production issues...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jens Hoppe
Denmark
Frederiksberg
flag msg tools
What are you, like 80?
badge
It's not the years, honey, it's the mileage.
mbmbmbmbmb
seo_ wrote:
Not sure what you mean by prototype, but if you refer to the production quality issues, it is true that there were real issues, and that should not be a problem in the future, given that TMG is working with another company now, one with ample experience in game production for several publishers, with no major issues.

I am very glad to hear it! For me, the 1st edition of the game easily has the worst production quality of any new game I have bought in a long time. I am also in the camp that thinks that the artwork is too dull, and it looks like the 2nd edition shines it up a bit - so I appreciate that.

Let me add that I absolutely love the game itself - it's one of the best new euros I have played in years and it's been a success with more or less everyone I have played it with. It's just annoying that whenever I introduce new players to the game (and I have done that a lot), I always have to overcome their initial, disbelieving looks of "we're going to play that?".

So, I may end up getting the 2nd edition as well, is all I'm saying.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SPM
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lots of criticism in this thread, so for a complementary perspective...

Notwithstanding the problems with the components, I'm just happy that Homesteaders was produced. I'd rather have an excellent game made up of mediocre (slightly flawed) bits than a mediocre game with otherwise perfectly beautiful pieces. Ultimately, it is a testament to the core quality of the game that so many people enjoy playing it regardless of its production hiccups.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Jaffee
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jens_hoppe wrote:
So, I may end up getting the 2nd edition as well, is all I'm saying.

Now THAT'S what I like to hear
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ingo Griebsch
Germany
Bochum
North Rhine-Westphalia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

and I would still like to read some answers about my questions...

Ok, point one is discussed copious and there will probably be nicer components than in the first edition.

But how about the other two points. Will I be able to get/buy a fix kit and will I be able to regulary buy the game in germany (england etc.) or must I buy it through an online store located somewhere in the usa?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Mindes
United States
Mountain Green
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
d0gb0t wrote:
Hi,

and I would still like to read some answers about my questions...

Ok, point one is discussed copious and there will probably be nicer components than in the first edition.

But how about the other two points. Will I be able to get/buy a fix kit and will I be able to regulary buy the game in germany (england etc.) or must I buy it through an online store located somewhere in the usa?

#1) Yes production will be nicer

#2) There will probably not be a fix kit. Anybody that has issues with the components from the first printing can contact me for first printing replacements.

michael@tastyminstrelgames.com

#3) The capability to get the game outside of the USA is there currently, so I do not imagine it will go away. It really depends on if non-USA distributors buy the games and sell them to non-USA retailers. All of which are things that I have no direct control over.

Michael
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there a timeline for the 2nd edition to appear?

B>

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lou Seelbach
United States
Huntington
West Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jens_hoppe wrote:
For me, the 1st edition of the game easily has the worst production quality of any new game I have bought in a long time.

I've got a 1st edition copy of Age of Steam for you to borrow
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.