Max Ogden
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I have the chance to buy
REAPER'S FEE: THE VENDEL MERCHANT MARINES

REAPER'S FEE: THE CASTILLIAN ARMADA

FATE'S DEBT: THE BROTHERHOOD OF THE COAST

FATE'S DEBT: THE CORSAIRS

these decks. I'm completly new to the game, but really wanna try it!

Will these be good beginner decks for me and my friends to play?

Also, I have plenty of CE L5R if anyone on here wants to trade! I'm also after doomtown!

Yours,

Max

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Heroic Villanous
Denmark
flag msg tools
Any starter deck will be a sensible place to start.

It should give new players a chance to train the basics, and give you an impression of what focused decks will be able to achieve.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan K
United States
Bremerton
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Those four decks will give you some good variety. The decks from the earlier sets (e.g. Broadsides) may be a litte more straightforward in terms of strategies, but the later sets (like the ones you mention) will be just as good (and as much fun!).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott B
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mb
aedh11 wrote:

Whoa. Reaper's Fee is very hard to find now. I JUST sold all of my 7th Sea stuff, so I don't really care anymore. But, if you can find any Reaper's Fee starters or booster, or Iron Shadow's starter decks (boosters are still available aplenty), get them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott B
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mb
aedh11 wrote:

FATE'S DEBT: THE BROTHERHOOD OF THE COAST

FATE'S DEBT: THE CORSAIRS

these decks. I'm completly new to the game, but really wanna try it!

Will these be good beginner decks for me and my friends to play?

To answer this question, nah, not really good beginner decks. Though, it's not like they're really advanced either. Like was earlier suggested, try to find some No Quarter or Broadsides booster to learn the basics, as well as picking these up for a larger card pool (not to mention, more ships & captains is great).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jevon Heath
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Go on 'head get down with it.
badge
Take it to the chorus!
mbmbmbmbmb
Those four are pretty good beginner decks, as they're relatively well balanced with each other and will provide a good spread of ship sizes and strategies. Beware of getting earlier sets afterward, though; Fate's Debt starter decks were the first relatively playable ones, and earlier decks won't stand a chance against them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
alan shaw

Florida
msg tools
The best factions, I believe, to start the game with are Gosse, the Crimson Rogers, and the Castillians [sp]. Gosse had the best numbers of any faction, but I felt the least appealing aesthetic. The Rogers are the stereotypical dirty pirates who live to shoot things with really huge cannons. That's all they do well and they do it with such efficiency, they make the other factions seem obsolete. But for boarding, which I always thought was the heart of the game, you have to go with the Castillians. I hate the Castillians, mostly because my buddy always killed me with his Cas deck, but they rock at stabbing people. They have better Swashbuckling numbers than any other faction, and their faction specific cards and their captain all give them bonuses to stab people with swords. they're fun to play, if a bit cash starved.
However, if you want to try the other factions, stick with the Montaigne and the Sea Dogs. Yes, there are several other groups you could choose from, but they all have severe handicaps or require too many rare cards to make work, especially for someone getting into the game several years after its demise. The other factions, the Corsairs, Vesten, Vendel, Undead, the Brotherhood, and the Explorers, are all fun, and they do have their strengths, and you shouldn't approach a ccg from any other angle than to have fun, but if you want to spend less money and be able to play the game, stick with the earlier mentioned factions.
In any case, I hope you enjoy the game. I'm sure anyone in this forum will give you advice as to deck construction, me included. Good Luck and Theus be with you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.