E r i c k N. B o u c h a r d
Canada
Stoneham
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello,

Is a French edition expected for Tales of the Arabian Nights?

My kids would love this game but don't master English yet...

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hem Hemux
Japan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Erick,

Should I answer to you in french, since you're canadian ? Guess not, it's an international website so lets stick to english as everyone can understand it much, much better than french.

To answer your question, I got an answer from Filosofia, the canadian company you must now, for sure, as they're really known here in France and published in french a lot of games from ZMan. And their answer to my prayers (I begged a lot to the boss, a lovely, simple and honnest woman, you can trust me) was that no, they wouldn't publish it, and they were as much sorry for me as they were for themselves, because they marvelled a lot at this game before taking a decision : they just can't. Too much time. Too much money. Translating the book is just a megagigapain right there behind where you know. So they decided to listen to their brain more than their heart, and I can't prove them wrong. I know they're right. It just hurts my feelings and my expectations, that's all !

I wanted to buy this game. My woman and I are bilingual, but my friends and family aren't. So I wanted to buy this game, but I just can't, or else we would play just the two of us. And that's sad. I thought of translating my own game if I ever decide to buy it, but hell, I got a life... more than 2000 encounters... no way !

Anyway. Sorry. I think not. Or at least, not thanks to Filosofia, but maybe some other editor, who knows. Wait and see. Cheers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E r i c k N. B o u c h a r d
Canada
Stoneham
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the tip! While I'm good in English - heck, I've translated RPGs, authored books in English and served as a human proofchecker for English publications - my kid's aren't so keen and thus TotAN would be lost on them. It's a shame... but I understand. Translating the whole story book would be a huge work, for which I wouldn't have the heart.:(
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Heinecke
Germany
Konstanz
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hemu, maybe you can convince Sophie from Filosofia to get the licence of the french version from 1987 by Gallimard, because there you have all the texts already translated. Maybe do some adjustments to the new version and it is done.
And then, by the way, we should do the same for the german Erlkönig version.
Because the Z-Man edition is so awesome and the gameplay is plain fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hem Hemux
Japan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Guido, and I'm VERY sorry for the very late answer (BGG never sends me any mail notification for forum answers, or comments on my videos, I think I should check that in the settings...)

Just before I answer to you : are you "the" Guido ? The german partner from Tric-Trac ? The nice bearded journalist who made the Knizia interview ? If that's so, hi, I'm very glad to talk to you Can you do something so M. Phal recruits me ?

I know the 1987 version you tell me about because I actually own it. Gallimard was so much in love with its products, in those times, and even with many mistakes it was a great work they had done at that time. However, you say about "all the texts already translated", bu I don't know if you heard of the differences there are between the two versions, because I read Eric Goldberg wrote something like a thousand pages more ! I don't think the similarity is that big between the two booklets... The quantity of work is huge.

So, I'm not gonna harass Sophie from Filosofia once more... I understand her reasons : when you're a company, you don't want to loose money, and I'm pretty sure that game would satisfy a small quantity of gamers like us, but would fail making any profit... such, such, suuuuch a shame. A masterpiece, that game.

Bye !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Heinecke
Germany
Konstanz
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, you recognized me. Well yes, I am now a kind of celebrity in the french gaming scene. Thanks for the kind words!
A company does not want to lose money, I know, since this is a very specialized game for a small audience. Another problem is as well that you cannot do such a version multi-lanuage to produce cheaper. So maybe we stick to the versions we have (i actually own a german copy).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Maroney
United States
Yonkers
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hemu wrote:
I know the 1987 version you tell me about because I actually own it. Gallimard was so much in love with its products, in those times, and even with many mistakes it was a great work they had done at that time. However, you say about "all the texts already translated", bu I don't know if you heard of the differences there are between the two versions, because I read Eric Goldberg wrote something like a thousand pages more ! I don't think the similarity is that big between the two booklets... The quantity of work is huge.

In the English first edition from 1985, the Book of Tales was right around 90,000 words (just for the adventure paragraphs, not counting things like Statuses, Treasures, and the encounter tables). That's the Book of Tales that was translated for the Gallimard version.

Every sentence from that original edition were revisited and most of them re-written for the Second Edition, and a lot of new material was added; the English version was never published, but that's the text from which the 1999 Editions Erlkonig version was translated. It's probably 110,000 words in English.

The Third Edition (the 2009 Z-Man version) is approximately 294,000 words just for the Book of Tales, plus probably another 5,000 words scattered across the Treasure, Status, and Quest cards. So it's more than three times as long as the version originally translated by Gallimard.

I'd love to see it translated, but it's hard to imagine it being done by any commercial publisher.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hem Hemux
Japan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
womzilla wrote:
The Third Edition (the 2009 Z-Man version) is approximately 294,000 words just for the Book of Tales, plus probably another 5,000 words scattered across the Treasure, Status, and Quest cards.[...]I'd love to see it translated, but it's hard to imagine it being done by any commercial publisher.

What you say is so frustrating, and yet is so true, Mister Wombat... I feel so sad when I think of that game. Ah, *sigh*.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Trowell
France
flag msg tools
Good news everyone !

I contacted zman games just before the holidays about a potential french version, and they said that they planned to release a French version in 2013. thumbsup

Of course they didn't say *when* in 2013 exactly, and knowing my luck I would probably not expect the game before the end of the year, or worse 2014 should it been delayed, but who know ... ? whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kévin Favry
France
flag msg tools
No news about a french version ?
I'm expecting it !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Romaric Delbart
France
Thiais
flag msg tools
mbmb
Still no news about a french version ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(ɹnʎʞ)
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I asked Z-MAN Games about a German version once and actually received an answer, you can check out the thread ►here. I'm afraid that the answer covers the whole topic of translating this game to any language, and I can't blame any publisher for the obvious reasons.

Still, a real shame.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.