Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
7 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » OLD BGGBlogs (do not use)

Subject: Christmas story rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dane Peacock
United States
Stansbury Park
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
That tickles
mbmbmbmbmb
This year, the Christmas spirit has been strong on the Geek. I am a lucky recipient of some of that cheer.

Scott Di Bartolo (manowarplayer) gave a free game away as a gift (including shipping). He plans to make this a tradition every year. I think this is a wonderful idea.

I won Galaxy: the Dark Ages by picking it from games that he has rated a 7 or 8. Before he sent it, he instructed me not to open it before Christmas.

So I got the package 2 or 3 days later and it has been sitting on the cedar chest by my bed ever since. Tempting me. Tempting me.

Last night, I could not take it anymore, and I ripped open the package.

Inside was the game, nicely wrapped in wrapping paper, with a tag that reads, 'To Dane Peacock and family, from the Di Bartolo family, do not open until December 25th.'

I showed my wife and she just could not believe it. Needless to say, it now sits under the tree, still wrapped up.

My kids certainly did not miss noticing a new present, and they asked me whom it was for.

I told them it was for the whole family from the Scott Di Bartolo family.

They asked me who that was. I did not know what to say. "Some guy that I met on the Internet" did not sound like a wise response.

So I told them that the gift is from a very nice family, that we don't know, that wanted to do something nice for another family for Christmas and they chose us.

Children understand this type of thing with such innocents and sincerity.

They guessed correctly that the gift is a game (but not which one). Jamin Knight, my 6 year old asked, “How did they know that we like games?” before I could answer, Amberly, my 16 year old daughter said, “Everyone knows that we like games.”

The Christmas spirit, the real Christmas spirit, is in full force in our home now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Real and Only
United States
Aubrey
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
Spiderman
Last night my whole family went to dinner to celebrate my Moms birthday. My three year old nephew was there. Of course he HAD to sit by his Unkie. I talked to him all night and he is really getting excited about Christmas. He wants a Spiderman and I found out his Mama (my little sister) hadnt gotten him one yet.

So I get to go shopping this weekend. I LOVE shopping for little kids. We pretty much had bought all of his gifts already, but he is going to get 1 more.

Aren't Kids great. I remember like it was yesterday when I was three. I never thought it would give me SO much pleasure buying toys for a little kid.

I cant wait till he gets a little older and can sit down and play games with his Unkie.....

I cant wait till my Kid is born.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becky Zamborsky
United States
Berea
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dane,
Thanks for sharing your heart-warming story of that extra special family gift.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John So-And-So
United States
Fresno
California
flag msg tools
badge
You and the Cap'n make it hap'n
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome, Dane. Thanks for reminding me the Geek's still full of friendly, cool folks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chester
United States
Temple
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great story! Scott....its people like you that keep me glued to the Geek. Gamers are generally a very agreeable caliber of people.

Dane, your story reminds me of my little son, recently turned 4. Every time the UPS truck turns around in our cul-de-sac he yells, "Here comes more of Daddy's games!" And if we get any package in the mail, he assumes its a game. Smart kid!

Also, my wife was having a conversation with him about Santa. Shad wanted to give Santa a present. My wife asked what? He said, how about Gulo Gulo (one of Shad's games). Then he paused for a while....and said, "How about on of DADDY'S games?"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerald McDaniel
United States
Lakewood
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool!
Dane -- That is one cool event you described. What a neat thing to happen for Christmas. Reading about your family's discussion tells me that your family deserves it, too.

Eric -- Few things are better than buying Christmas gifts for kids, and watching them open them. I enjoyed it with nephews before I had kids, then with our own children, and now with grandchildren. It's just gets better and better.
meeple

My wife and I have all our Christmas shopping done and a lot of it wrapped. Last week, we delivered to our adult son, daughter, and son-in-law, and to our young grandchildren the 12 Days of Christmas gifts we purchase and wrap for them each year. They get to enjoy a small gift each day, for the twelve days before Christmas. My parents started this tradition in our family for my two children when they were very young, and my wife and I have continued it for the past almost thirty years. Today, my wife and I began our Christmas baking (I took up the hobby of cooking after I retired, with an excellent cook -- my wife -- as my tutor). We will do some more next week. It is fun to cook together, as we listen to Christmas CDs. It's a great season!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Play Games - Interact - Have Fun!
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the kind words everyone!
Dane,

I'm very pleased to see that your family will enjoy Galaxy: The Dark Ages. It was a nice surprise for me to find out that you had children that would enjoy it too. I originally wasn't going to wrap it, but then realized...What am I doing??? ITS A CHRISTMAS PRESENT! So I had to wrap it. I'm glad I did. There is something about a wrapped present under the tree from someone you don't know that is magical when you are a kid. It could be ANYTHING, and wondering about what it was seemed to take up hours of time when I was a little kid.

Christmas is my favorite time of year and I thoroughly enjoy trying to make my family have the same kinds of happy and magical memories that I had growing up during the holidays. Whether it is convincing my skeptical 9 year old daughter that Santa is real, or plotting with my 17 year old about how I can sneak away to buy my wife the one thing she wants to totally surprise her - even after I've said "Im DONE shopping for you" to her 100 times already. It may sound corny, but I enjoy seeing their faces when I can pull that type of thing off. I have lots of little memories like that...

When I was little our main bathroom mysteriously "broke" every year for unknown reasons. Being too young to realize or even suspect, I later found out that's where our new bikes were hidden for the 3 days we had to use our parents bathroom. Or then there is the year when I was 9 and all that my brother and I wanted was a new electric train set we had seen. It was very expensive at $99 - which is a lot even for today! Christmas morning came and we opened all the presents and of course it wasn't there, my parents didnt have a lot of money. We were still thrilled with all that we got but then my dad makes a big production about "this dirty old box left on the front porch" and then pulls out an huge cardboard box filled with model train stuff he had picked up at a yard sale for my brother and I. It was unbelievable.

I'm glad I could add a little bit more Christmas cheer to you and your family's already wonderful sounding holiday.

And...you gave me another idea...HO HO HO!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.