Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Downey
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello all!

I recently started participating in GeekMod as a way to pass the time and wind down when I get home after work late at night, and I have found that I have been really enjoying seeing the photos that users have been submitting, as well as reading the reviews of some games that I probably would not have looked at otherwise.

Every time I log in, I look at my GeekMod history to see how in-line my approval/rejections are so I can guage how in-line I am with the rest of the community and make sure I am using my judgment appropriately. My question is this: I have noticed that when something gets approved, it shows up rather quickly, whereas if I reject a particular item, it seems to make more time to get resolved. Is there a predetermined number of approval or rejection votes a particular item needs to get before it's status is determined? Is it a set percentage, or first to accumulate X votes wins, etc?

This doesn't really affect things very much, but I was curious about how it worked. I figure the more I know, the better I can participate. Also the deeper understanding I have of how GeekMod works, the more likely I am to have my photos and reviews accepted.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H-B-G
United Kingdom
Halesowen
West Midlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know whether there has ever been an official reply to this so I won't vouch for its accuracy, but I have seen the following suggested more than once in the past.

An item is declined when it receives 10 decline votes. It is approved if it receives 10 more approve votes than decline votes, so it may need 19 approve votes for acceptance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Downey
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the reply Dave!

That answer makes sense and seems plausible to me. Do you have any idea why this information isn't officially posted anywhere (that I can find at least)? It seems that the site is overflowing with information, the absence of an official explanation of something like this seems odd to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mb
As with several other features on the site, we don't provide the exact formula to deter people from attempts to game the system.

-MMM
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.