GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
7,939 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
21 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
69 Posts
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Hot Deals

Subject: Big sale on Steam until July 4th [Video Games] rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rudy
United States
No too far from Philly
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
I got...
badge
...something. :)
mbmbmbmb
Steam is having a large sale on video games until July 4th. Check it out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seba J
Germany
Frankfurt
Hessen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
4,5€ (~5,5$) for Killing Floor. This is madness!! zombie

Although the note "Low Violence Version" sounds discouraging.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Lane
United States
Golden Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GOOD GREIF! Looks like I'll be buying some video games this week. Bioshock 2 for $15 for the next 4 hours... jump on that one nerds!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance
United States
Moorhead
Minnesota
flag msg tools
The coolest best thing I have ever done in my life is being a father
badge
The Dread Pirate Caleb!! (age 2)
mbmbmbmbmb
Great. I am at home and its blocked at work.

Saves me some money I suppose
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Wood
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Witcher for 6.49, awesome RPG
Ghostmaster for under a buck, fun little game where you deploy ghosts to do your bidding, but you don't directly control their actions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Pennington
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
If your orange juice doesn't burn on the way down, then you need more vodka!
mbmbmbmbmb
They also have the Darwinia/Defcon pack that has like 4 games in it for $5.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Neal
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It Really is GROSS and wayy over the top, shame on them all!

I bought four titles I have been looking at for sometime for like 19 bucks for all!! whistle

Seriously if you have a pc gaming hair on your body for the love of all that is digital get to the sale people!

*and no I do not work for nor am affiliated with steam, its just hard to resist those pesky electronic bargains on good programming!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barak Engel
United States
Oakland
CA
flag msg tools
And the Geek shall Inherit the Earth
badge
I am the unholy trinity: Agnostic, Atheist, and Skeptic.
mbmbmb
If only the Linux client was out already...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Fischer
United States
Wheat Ridge
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would love to hear what other games on sale you all think are worth the time. I don't have a lot of time to play games, but I'd love to pick up one or two. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B Orr
United States
Southlake
Texas
flag msg tools
I hunger!!!
badge
Galactus wants to know if you have been Naughty or Nice
mbmbmbmbmb
Witcher is very good at that price if you are remotely interested.

I picked up the first two X-Coms (anyone have experience with these under the Steam umbrella ? I did not play them years ago and thought they might be fun).

I also thought about the new version of King's Bounty bundle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Hayford
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
If you like X-com, I heartily suggest you try

http://store.steampowered.com/app/7500/

I enjoyed it a lot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Neal
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mfischer wrote:
I would love to hear what other games on sale you all think are worth the time. I don't have a lot of time to play games, but I'd love to pick up one or two. Thanks!

Well I suppose it depends on what Genre's you like mostly. I am a strategy kind of guy so I concentrated on that section, and as I am primarily a Console gamer roots wise a lot of this is just me picking it up for the first time.

Just off the top of my head across genre's I would say

TRINE - Adventure/plat former/puzzler mix (one of my purchases)
World of Goo - pure puzzle, I own it but got it a while back.
Star Wolves I through III - Just purchased, they look good and for the money I won's loose sleep if they are not.
Soldiers of WWII - was on sale, heard good things, missed it here.
Men Of War - another good one I own from a previous sale.
Torchlight - There's always Torchlight!

Again those are all over the place, but not knowing what you prefer, just a few suggestions, plus the site is doing weird stuff now, so you may want to hurry! It may be about time to end it all for this particular sale!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B Orr
United States
Southlake
Texas
flag msg tools
I hunger!!!
badge
Galactus wants to know if you have been Naughty or Nice
mbmbmbmbmb
VendettaUF wrote:
If you like X-com, I heartily suggest you try

http://store.steampowered.com/app/7500/

I enjoyed it a lot.

awesome, thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Luub
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought 9 games for under $20!

Overlord 2 for $6.79 seems like a good deal. I bought the Overlord pack (Overlord 1 + 2, plus the expansion for the first one) for something like $6.50 yesterday, but that seems to be gone now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelley E.
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
He went that way
badge
I used to have AP. Now I'm not sure.
mbmbmbmbmb
stagger lee wrote:
GOOD GREIF! Looks like I'll be buying some video games this week. Bioshock 2 for $15 for the next 4 hours... jump on that one nerds!

Not gonna do it. Any game on Steam that requires additional activation/DRM beyond what Steam provides doesn't deserve our money, even on sale. It's malware and a blatant slap in the face to us honest customers. It's really too bad too because I loved the first Riddick and Bioshock games but their sequels aren't worth infecting my PC and compromising my principles.

That downer out of the way, I'll +1 some of the other suggestions
Overlord
World of Goo
Witcher
Torchlight
COD pack (conveniently excludes the travesty that is COD6. Bonus!)
Gothic II & III (not for everyone. Some find them clunky but I really got into Gothic 1&2. Haven't played 3 yet.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Luub
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just blew another $3.74 on the Indie Puzzle pack (http://store.steampowered.com/sub/2573/).

World of Goo and Torchlight are both easily worth $10 (although Torchlight has gone on sale for $5 before).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Nowak
United States
Greenville
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
You have paid retail for the last time.
badge
The human race, to which so many of my readers belong, has been playing at children's games from the beginning, and will probably do it till the end, which is a nuisance for the few people who grow up. - GKC
mbmbmbmbmb
squonk wrote:
I bought 9 games for under $20!

Overlord 2 for $6.79 seems like a good deal. I bought the Overlord pack (Overlord 1 + 2, plus the expansion for the first one) for something like $6.50 yesterday, but that seems to be gone now.

There are a handful of daily deals (24 hrs) on the front page. That will change every day until 7/4.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Fischer
United States
Wheat Ridge
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great suggestions! It's been a long time since I played much of anything, but strategy is my preference. Thank you.

Bigtop305 wrote:
mfischer wrote:

Well I suppose it depends on what Genre's you like mostly. I am a strategy kind of guy so I concentrated on that section, and as I am primarily a Console gamer roots wise a lot of this is just me picking it up for the first time.

Just off the top of my head across genre's I would say

TRINE - Adventure/plat former/puzzler mix (one of my purchases)
World of Goo - pure puzzle, I own it but got it a while back.
Star Wolves I through III - Just purchased, they look good and for the money I won's loose sleep if they are not.
Soldiers of WWII - was on sale, heard good things, missed it here.
Men Of War - another good one I own from a previous sale.
Torchlight - There's always Torchlight!

Again those are all over the place, but not knowing what you prefer, just a few suggestions, plus the site is doing weird stuff now, so you may want to hurry! It may be about time to end it all for this particular sale!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bertrand Russell
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wargamers might want to consider the excellent Birth of America for $1.50.

http://www.outofeight.info/2006/02/birth-of-america-review.h...
http://store.steampowered.com/app/2930/

Edit:
While I'm at it, I'll also plug AI War: Fleet Command. Play it co-op for the full effect.

Edit Again:
Also Altitude for $3.40.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiberius Vulpius
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Clawf1ng3r wrote:
This is madness!! zombie

Madness???!

THIS IS SPAAARRTTAAAA devilarrrhdevildevil

Sorry, couldn´t resistmodest
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seba J
Germany
Frankfurt
Hessen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
FuXs wrote:
Madness???!
THIS IS SPAAARRTTAAAA devilarrrhdevildevil

Just what I was thinking :-).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm picking up Left 4 Dead 2 - on sale for $10.20 for the next 22 hours! If anyone else ends up buying it let me know so we can play together, it's kinda worthless without friends but I can't resist the price.

I'm trying to figure out what my second game should be... Indigo Prophecy, Dark Void Zero, or Zeno Clash.

Other recommendations:

Everything by Valve, of course; particularly their single-player games (the Half-Life series and Portal).
Torchlight
Aaaaaa!!! - A Reckless Disregard for Gravity (part of one of the indie packs with Gridrunner Revolution, which I've heard is good, and some other games)
Aquaria
Windosill (not on sale but still super cheap and one of the best games on Steam)
Bioshock (don't get the second one)
Machinarium
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Carrick
United States
Beaverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
xeromist wrote:
Not gonna do it. Any game on Steam that requires additional activation/DRM beyond what Steam provides doesn't deserve our money, even on sale. It's malware and a blatant slap in the face to us honest customers. It's really too bad too because I loved the first Riddick and Bioshock games but their sequels aren't worth infecting my PC and compromising my principles.

Your principles? If you pay for it, it will run fine. How can you expect them NOT too with the rampant amount of piracy out there? It still blows my mind how butthurt gamers get over publishers trying to actually make money/avoid getting their stuff stolen. Is it heavy handed? Yes. Is it necessary? Pretty much.

http://www.cracked.com/article_18571_5-reasons-its-still-not...

Quote:
#1. (Gamers) Have Some Serious Entitlement Issues

PC gamers--who spend 75 percent of their waking hours explaining how PC's are the ultimate gaming platform--seem baffled as to why PC gaming is dying. Hey, remember back when every new groundbreaking innovation happened on the PC? What happened to those days? After all, remember the hype about Spore and how it was going to change the world? That would be the game that was pirated 1.7 million times in its first three months.

Gosh, I wonder why these publishers are putting all of their resources into the harder-to-pirate consoles instead? Forget about the debate over the morality of file sharing. It's not that; it's just simple cause-effect. We're smashing out the windows because it's fun, and then crying because the rain is coming in. It makes us all look like spoiled, entitled brats with no concept of how the adult world works. Don't tell me this is because gamers are mostly kids, either--the average age of video game players is 35.

We help ourselves to free game after free game, and then scream bloody murder when Ubisoft goes overboard with anti-piracy measures. When the makers of the Modern Warfare series decided to make the consoles front and center for the sequel--stripping some features PC gamers are used to in the process--gamers threw a tantrum and bombarded Amazon with hundreds of one-star reviews for a game they admit right in the reviews they never actually purchased or played.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Look, I don't like to get into this discussion, but suffice to say that obviously if Spore, with its draconian, over-the-top anti-piracy measures still got pirated that much, these methods DON'T WORK AT ALL and just serve to annoy those of us who actually pay for the games. A simple code to enter during installation or whatever is just as effective at combating piracy, and about a thousand times less annoying and less likely to screw up one's computer.

What you don't seem to understand is that the measures implemented by games like Bioshock 2 actually screw up people's computers sometimes by blocking legitimate software from running or causing other errors. Some DRM software has been shown to report user information back to the company without the user's permission. The pirates don't have to deal with these things, only people who purchase the software do. I choose not to support a company who goes after a minor threat by fucking over the people that they completely depend on to exist.

I'm still not going to pirate the game because I don't believe in that. I might get it used for the 360 so no money goes to the company and I don't have to screw up my computer. But I refuse to support games with such anti-consumer policies. I don't like software pirates, I don't think it's a good thing, but I don't blame them when what they download is actually superior to what I buy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
One Armed Bandit
Canada
Surrey
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
figarojones wrote:
Your principles? If you pay for it, it will run fine. How can you expect them NOT too with the rampant amount of piracy out there?

DRM doesn't stop pirates. Never has, never will.
It stops people from lending discs around, that's all.

The most you can hope for out of DRM is a week, tops.

Yet it is documented that DRM has caused countless issues for legitimate buyers. Ubisoft and Assassin's Creed 2 was a noteworthy case.
If your internet connection blipped at all, the game would immediately quit without saving. Even if you were playing single player.

And then less than a week after the game launched, Ubisoft's servers crashed, locking EVERYONE out of the game for 3 days.

Everyone except pirates, that is.

I paid for it.
It did not run AT ALL. Let alone "fine"
They did not pay for it.
It ran BETTER for them than it ever has for me.

You find me a single DRM system on PC that has actually prevented something from being pirated and I'll eat my words.

If you can't find even one example, that just proves how wrong you are.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.