GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,522 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
16 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
22 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: The 99th Edition of Blott's TGIF Poll rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ben Lott
United States
Mason
Michigan
flag msg tools
Being a Lions fan is a gift...
badge
...and a curse.
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want updates on when new polls are posted, go to The TGIF Poll Subscription Thread.

Poll: The 99th TGIF Poll
Do you enjoy reading game rules?
  Your Answer   Vote Percent Vote Count
Absolutely, I love it!
26.2% 73
Yes, I like it.
32.3% 90
Somewhat, it depends on my mood and the game.
32.3% 90
Not really.
7.5% 21
No way, I hate it!
1.8% 5
Voters 279
Do you ever read rules for games you don't even own yet?
All the time
9.6% 27
Often
22.5% 63
Sometimes
41.4% 116
Rarely
20.0% 56
Never
6.4% 18
Voters 280
When teaching game rules do you like when people ask questions in the middle of the explanation?
Yes, it tips me off on where to go next with the explanation.
57.7% 157
No, I have a flow to the way I’m teaching the rules and interrupting that flow will just frustrate me.
39.3% 107
I rarely, if ever, teach the rules to games.
2.9% 8
Voters 272
When learning game rules do you ask questions in the middle of the explanation?
All the time
5.7% 16
Often
16.5% 46
Sometimes
46.2% 129
Rarely
22.9% 64
Never
2.2% 6
I rarely, if ever, learn rules from someone else.
6.5% 18
Voters 279
This poll is now closed.   280 answers
Poll created by Blott
Closes: Thu Jul 1, 2010 6:00 am

#5. Any ideas what I should do for the momentous 100th TGIF Poll next week?

Any discussion is encouraged.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Pinter
United States
Liverpool
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
shouldn't #4 be #5?

anyways, for #3, I would have answered yes (I like questions), except in my group they don't just ask 1 question, they never shut up so I have no chance to explain what they wanted to know anyways. I try to get them to listen for at least most of my explanation before they start asking a ton of questions.

It goes something like this...

Me: Carson City...
Them: How do you win? What are these cowboys for? What are the Buildings for? How do I win? Why do you have orange squares on the board? How come I don't have my squares on the board?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cliff
United States
Western Great Lakes - Owashtinong Aajigaaning
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Grand Rapids Area (MI) Boardgamers introduced me to the colloquial term - splainin'. A term of honor wherein the willing and able devote time to the oral ritual of getting folks up to snuff. At the end of the ritual - the closing expression - 'Thanks for 'splainin'!' should be offered.

I lie among the range of 'I love instructions, I like 'em and somewhat...' depending on the game, hype, part of the week, etc.

splainin' is done by a diverse array of personalities so generally I interrupt only when it is timely and I just didn't get it. I don't mind interruptions at all but try to guide 'way off-track' or 'far too often' interruptors with "I'll be coming to that."

I think a great spectator sport would be watching non-compatible 'splainers and 'splainees going critical overload, lol!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laszlo Molnar
Hungary
Budapest
Hungary
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1. I had to realise I read game rules more than I read books nowadays.
2. Of course! That might make me want the game or make me uninterested.
3. It depends. A clever asker asks questions that are on-topic; maybe I tell you about 5 possible actions but don't go into detail considering the fifth as I have forgot it or something like that. What I don't like is when I start to explain the rules and they start to ask things like "and what is that tile good for?" etc., just looking at the board and asking questions about what they see and not what they are told. Because of this reason, for example even if I make player aids to the game, I give it to the players only after the rules explanation is over; otherwise that would distract their attention. Or e.g. when I teach Blue Moon City I just don't give the cards to the players until I start to explain what you can do with the cards, otherwise they would start to pay attention to the cards instead of the rules, maybe even asking stupid questions.
4. Sometimes I do and then feel ashamed if I asked something that was to be explained later. It's more often that I ask a question like 'So how was it again? Sorry, my brain is very slow.'
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bandettini
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
That one not so much
badge
Ohh that tickles
mbmbmbmbmb
I tend to end up as the game explainer as often as not. I have been told I explain well and usually there are not many problems. Even when we get half way through a game and an obscure rule comes up and I get 'You never told us that', I usually did.

The problem I get, which I am sure lots of people do, is I play so many different games that even with games I have played a lot I need to re-visit the rules before playing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tim Tim TIm TIM TIMMY!!
Costa Rica
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Being the game explainer in my group I have no problem with people asking questions, it lets me explain it better to the next group

I also enjoy playing that first game and seeing what mistakes people make and try and remember them so I go over them in the rules better next time.

I just hit my first real Game Group in Ft. Collins and had others teach me Small World ( thanks Zach & William ) and man it was fun to have some one else do it. I had already read the rules, but still I was a bit lost the first few rounds, but as I always tell others

It will take a few rounds but it will all make sense after a couple of turns!

#4 - ask questions about Heroscape Master Set: Rise of the Valkyrie
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Lott
United States
Mason
Michigan
flag msg tools
Being a Lions fan is a gift...
badge
...and a curse.
mbmbmbmbmb
nordlead wrote:
shouldn't #4 be #5?

Thanks, I fixed it.

My answers:

1 - I do enjoy reading rules. Unfortunately some rules are not written that well so I couldn't bring myself to saying I "loved" it.

2 - I've never read rules for unowned games. I just like to be surprised when I get the game, I guess.

3 - This just happened to me last night. We were playing with a couple who are really getting into games and they were very excited, but they just couldn't wait to jump ahead and ask questions. I kept saying "Just a second, I'll get there." I appreciate their enthusiasm, but I will get through all the rules, I promise.

4 - Here's the funny thing. After I had the situation last night that I described, I went home and realized I do the same thing. I think when I ask questions they are for clarification, but sometimes it probably just frustrates the teacher and takes him/her out of the flow.

5 - I'm not sure, that's why I'm asking you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrin Williams
United States
Allen
Texas
flag msg tools
I have overtext. Yes I do.
badge
I have overtext. How 'bout you !
mbmbmbmbmb
1) I don't typically like reading game rules. The best way to learn a game would be to watch a video, then read Universal Head's player aid, but I always read the rules to be sure I'm not missing anything.

2) When a new hot games comes out, I'll read the rules online to see if I need to get it or not. I also try to pre-read rules before BGG.Con since sometimes it's hard to find a rules explainer.

3) I don't mind people asking questions during my explanation. If they're interrupting the flow, I'll ask them to wait, but my group usually asks good questions. A lot of times, they'll catch something I forgot to tell them.

4) I will occasionally ask questions, but I try not to. I don't really need to know every rule before a game so I will sometimes ask leading questions to move along the explanation if it's getting too long.

5) Have you ever asked about Play By Forum games in your poll?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy
United Kingdom
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not a big fan of reading rules, I usually take a game in better when I'm being taught... however since I do a lot of the rule explaining, that doesn't happen as often.

Sometimes I will read rules for a game/expansion I am interested in getting to find out more about it. I've also been known to read the rules for a game someone else owns, knowing that we will be playing it very soon... this only tends to happen if the other person hasn't played the game yet either.

It happens quite often that people will ask rule questions when I'm teaching... my response usually depends on the game/situation and the question. Some questions can be answered straight away without losing too much of the flow of the explanation.. others I'll come back to and just say "that's part of such and such, which I'll come back to in a second".

I do sometimes ask questions during a rules explanation... I try to leave it until a suitable point in the explanation, because I know from experience it can be off-putting. My 3 favourite questions are:
- How does the game end?
- How do you win?
- What is the tie-breaker?
Mary says I "always ask the tie-breaker question" and she thinks it's funny that I do that!

I don't know what you should do either... but it should be momentous!! No Pressure!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
United States
Up Nort' Der
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
VAST:                The Crystal Caverns The Fearsome Foes The Mysterious Manor
badge
DV: Anakin Skywalker was weak. I destroyed him.                 AT: Then I will avenge his death.             DV: Revenge is not the Jedi way.         AT: I am no Jedi.
mbmbmbmbmb
1vp & d10-2 - I do love reading game rules, and if there's a game I'm thinking about getting I always make it a point to find a PDF of the rules and read it ahead of time. Often I can get more out of that (with regards to whether I'll like the game or not) than from reading reviews or even user comments.

Only rarely will I look at the rules to a game I have little to no intention of playing, though - usually it's to answer the questions for a contest here on BGG, or because someone made a comment about some rulebook oddity in a forum or Geeklist.

3 - I usually don't mind other people asking questions during the rules explanation, but there's definitely a limit to it. If I'm explaining a game and someone asks a question that isn't directly relevant to the part currently being explained, I'll say something like, "I'll get to that part in a bit". That way it doesn't disrupt the flow too much, and the person listening doesn't get hung up something that might not make complete sense until it's put in the right context of the upcoming rules.

4 When someone else is explaining a game (which is uncommon, for my group) I do frequently ask questions, but I usually try to wait until the end when possible. I'm most likely to ask something mid-explanation if an aspect of the game is mentioned briefly and then the person jumps to some completely separate aspect, because that's when the little things (which aren't always "little" later in the game) tend to slip though most often. Other times, if they explain something but aren't completely clear about it, I'll ask for clarification right away because misinterpreting an explanation can sometimes throw off everything that comes after it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Netherlands
Enschede
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1. it depends on the game and my mood.

2. I'll read rules for games I'm interested in to help decide whether or not we should buy them. I rarely read rules to a game we already own in order to explain them to others. My husband generally does the explaining, and if he doesn't, he'll end up complaining about the lack of structure in my explanation (he's right, I tend to confuse people when I try to explain things, I managed to get confused looks while explaining Coloretto) and reading the rules for himself, and then explaining anyway after he's done reading. It's easier to just get him to read the rules and do the explaining.

3. rarely for the reasons mentioned above.

4. I'll sometimes ask questions if I think I missed something, or don't understand what was just explained.

5. no ideas unfortunately...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance
United States
Moorhead
Minnesota
flag msg tools
The coolest best thing I have ever done in my life is being a father
badge
The Dread Pirate Caleb!! (age 2)
mbmbmbmbmb
Just make it epic Ben, I know you have it in you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Browne
United States
Terre Haute
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1. I love reading game rules!

2. I read rules for games I don't own all the time. Sometimes even before they are published for some companies.

3. I don't mind getting interrupted with questions about the game, but I answered yes to this because I find it very frustrating to be trying to explain rules to a group and a couple people go off on a tangent conversation of their own (not paying attention) and I know I'm going to have to explain the rules again at some point. That makes the explaining job frustrating.

5. I think you should make the 100th poll about your polls. For example:

How many have you answered of the first 100 polls?
Do you always answer, or just browse and answer questions you feel strongly about?
Do you ever check other answers before you answer?
Did you think Blott really needed to change his avatar after Monk was cancelled?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Everett Warren
United States
Marietta
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnBandettini wrote:
The problem I get, which I am sure lots of people do, is I play so many different games that even with games I have played a lot I need to re-visit the rules before playing.

Exactly.

I learned that the hard way, as I introduced a number of people to The Adventurers: The Temple of Chac ~ simple enough rules, and we had played a few times, but not recently enough and I still managed to misremember half the steps. Thankfully, my son was not playing anything at that time, so he was able to assist with rules references!

From now on, I'll be sure to review rules of (newer) games prior to attempting to teach them!

In that way, I'll be sure to forget half of them, instead of 75% of the rules!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Adams
United States
Brigham City
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
#5. What should be the next 100 TGIF poll topics?

Follow that question by a tremendous list of hundreds of potential topics with check boxes so we can select our favorites, up to 100 of them.

Or not, because that's just crazy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Edwards
United States
Everett
Washington
flag msg tools
YA R'LYAH
badge
Phnglui mglw nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah nagl fhtagn! With cheeze!
mbmbmbmbmb
My answers:

1 - Rules are mostly a mean to an ends to me. I enjoy reading them if the game looks good - as they provide anticipation no how it iwll play, and if the rules are well laid out. They can be painful if done badly.

Some rules, however, are comedy gold in and of themselves. Galaxy Trucker, Dungeon Lords come to mind - the only thing I don't like is that I often feel compeled to skip the funny bits when explaining, due to time. I think the first really funny rules I read were Globbo!. Or perhaps Stomp!, Snit Smashing, or of course The Awful Green Things From Outer Space - it came with a comic!

2 - One does have to read rules in more complex wargames, from time to time, if you are expected to play them competently. Generally I only read up rules to complex games I don't own for a planned session.

3 - I don't mind questions at all - communication is two way, after all - but I'm also willing to reply with "that will be covered shortly".

4 - Of course, I also ask, if it's not clear.

5 - Perhaps everyone else can ask a set of questions, and you have to answer em?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bandettini
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
That one not so much
badge
Ohh that tickles
mbmbmbmbmb
Ben

How about for the 100th Poll you post lots of photos of you holding board games and we have to vote which one we want to vote onto the front page.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm no longer a fan of reading rules. But, read them more then anything else.

I answered that I dislike it when I'm interrupted with questions while explaining rules, yet I answered that I will ask questions. Sounds hypocritical doesn't it?

Well, I like to ask questions that clarifies what rule(s) we are currently discussing and wouldn't mind those type of questions. But, I've got a couple players that will ask questions about other things in the games, which makes me have to jump around all over the place and then repeat some things when I get back to them. (One will go so far as to pick up the rulebook to find an answer to an 'out of sequence' question and the start trying to teach other parts of the game while I'm trying to teach where I was at.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Count
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
1. For the last year or so, they are my usual bed time reading. I have acquired many games (wife would say too many) since joining BGG, that I find I have to reread a lot when I am about to play a game I haven't played in a few months.
2. Mainly if my gamegroup is going to play a game I don't own.
3. Don't Care
4. I try to keep quiet most of the time, but sometimes I want to ask a question related to what is being explained, a clarification, and I don't want to forget it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
mbmbmbmbmb
Grimwold wrote:
...- What is the tie-breaker?...

I normally don't ask this, but remember a game of Puerto Rico that I was playing. The game trigger had already occurred and I was taking the last action of the game. I don't remember exactly what it was, but I started to take one and said something like 'wait, I might not want to do it, what's the tie breaker? Someone looked up that it was gold. So, I choose not to spend the money (it was for something that wasn't going to score me VPs) and I ended up winning on the tie breaker.

So, I often times find myself asking about the tie breaker at least near the end of a game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
My favorite 18xx game for six players is two games of 1846 with three players each.
mbmbmbmbmb
When I get a question while teaching, I like it if it helps with the explanation, but I don't like it if the person just isn't listening and asks something I either just explained or just said I'll explain later.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr. Dam
Australia
KILLARA
VIC
flag msg tools
badge
May 2018 be all you dreamed it would be and be all that you dreamed...
mbmbmbmbmb
d10-1 Yeah I love reading game rules as it means I have a new game to experience. I also feel it gives me a much better understanding in regards to how the various elements and mechanics work together. I really do think this gives a person an advantage when playing a game...but that is not my motivation...just an observation.

d10-2 I rarely read rules to games I don't own as my backlog of unplayed games in my collection is too bug already so I feel compelled to learn a game I own first.

That said I can get really excited about a new title now and then and that may compel me to download and scan over something to get a feel for it.

d10-3For me teaching the rules is all about explaining the game as best I can for the other people so I am happy to address questions in the middle of my explanation. If I think they need to hear something else first (to put their question in perspective) then I will let them know that.

d10-4 I have taught so many games that I really am hopeless when others explain rules. I can't help but jump in with a question(s) and it probably drives them nuts.

Having read so many rulebooks I feel a compulsion to know every little in and out of a game so my questions are many and varied. It's a sickness.

d10-5 Yeah I've been watching the No. 100 creep up. Not sure really. Maybe something to do with waxing lyrical about our favourite game of all time or gaming experience or why we game, or our favourite gaming buddy? What gaming means to us and why we do it?

You may well have covered these bases already in the lead up though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.