Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
2 Posts

Pipeline» Forums » Sessions

Subject: A Thrift Store Find that I had played and was very excited to get so cheap! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
tim Tim TIm TIM TIMMY!!
Costa Rica
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yesterday was my first real Thrift store success story so I thought I would share it with all of you! I live in the jungles of Costa Rica so Thrifting for games is not a option ( now clothes is a whole different story my wife finds brand new designer dresses with a $150 price tag still on them for $6 or $7 all the time ). I travel back to the states once or twice a year and have always found gamers where ever I go. In Fl. I hooked up with a fellow Heroscaper and we taught each other a few games we had that the other had not ever played. He had Pipeline and I was excited to play a new game, it is a simple game at heart, but it is fun if you ask me - it is a kids game at heart, but if you like building stuff ( lego's, linken logs ) you should enjoy this one.

So I have tried to thrift in Ohio and found a few old games that did not really excite me, but I bought them cause I am a geek and I have a big enough house and extra storage space ( our store ) that I can house as many games as I can get my hands on ( I figure at 1,000 I will start to think of slowing down laugh - no I am not even close, but I like to dream ). Ft. Collins Co. is where I find myself this vacation and I thrifted a few days back, hit about 5 stores, and found nothing worth having soblue. I didn't let that stop me and I went back yesterday. My wife wanted to stop at Old Navy First so I hit Barnes and Nobles next door to see what games they had. They had Killer bunnies, the big revised box on 50% of - $12.50 on sale, I would have got it but my wife said she did not like the box art work and why piss her off - I can get it later when she is not with me somewhere else if it is meant to be .

I was surprised how many great games they have there, but of course expensive also. I saw Scotland Yard and was interested because 1 of my game friends back home had said after I explained Mr. Jack to him that is sounded like Scotland Yard - which he use to play and liked very much. But it was $32 and no way I was paying that much. Well I hit the thrift store again and I found Scotland Yard for only $3 and of course had my first real score - man was I happy. Then I hit the next thrift store, Goodwill, and I found Pipeline - since I am staying with family and have 2 nieces ages 6 and 7 there I knew this would be a big hit, and it was $2 - 2nd Score of the day.

Of course with both games I expected them to be missing parts? As it turns out all the pieces where there, and in SY I got a lot of extra paper and a pencil to boot ( the paper was cut to fit into the scoring device ) - I was happily amazed.

OK, OK, get on with the Session report you say.

I love me some dice, and this game has 1 special die with pictures of the 4 different types of pipes you could use ( the elbow is the most common and is on 3 sides of the die ). So you roll the die and play the piece you get. If you roll a cap you get to place it on someone else pipeline and they have to use their turn to take it off or if possible go from a different open junction on their pipeline. You need to get a pipeline from one side of the board to the other. It is that simple, you are connecting tubes and making really weird pipelines. But there is a lot of room to block the other guy so it can be a kinda screw you factor if you chose to play that way ( with the nieces this was not going to be an option for me ).

It is a very colorful game and like I said people who like to build will enjoy it. My brother in-law is a mechanic and he wanted to play it as soon as he saw it.

picture thanks to

...sure...
Netherlands
Rijen
Noord Brabant
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

So the youngest player goes first and Sopie is 6, I had to help her connect up the pipes sometimes and gave her a lot of hints on what direction she should go. Her older sister, Sara - age 7, needed less help. As your pipeline really grows you want to be careful adding pipelines since you can push down to hard, I showed the girls how to support the underside of the pipeline when adding the next piece and Sara got it, but I helped Sopie a lot. A wonderful part of playing with kids is everything is brand new to them, and it is hard for them to visualize a bit ahead, so they really never know who it winning unless it is very obvious. The girls loved it, and they really enjoyed when they got to cap off their uncles pipeline. Sopie actually took the early lead so I capped her a few times and Sara and I caught up. Then Sara took the lead and I capped her a few times, I caught up and we where both 2 pieces from winning with Sopie right behind us. I got a bad piece and had to play it to try and go up and over my own pipeline ( which would be a few more pipes needed ) because Sopie's pipeline got in my way and I could not get to the end spot I wanted. Sara got lucky and got the 2 pieces she needed ( kids are always lucky with the dice it seems ) and won. Sopie actually ened up closer then me so she took 2nd. Sara was very excited and the both asked if we cold play again.

Sare said she won because she prayed, Sopie complained that - that was no fair since it is just a game laugh. I had to laugh at this and thought it was very cute. Sopie won the next one and I forgot to ask if she was praying for the win

I am still walking on clouds from my thrifting finds, and am really glad I found a couple of games worth having. My nieces asked if I was leaving it for them and I just laughed and said " Not a change in the world - but you are coming to our house soon so we can play it there when ever you want ".

If your looking for a great colorful game for kids I highly recommend getting this one, if you like to build get it, if you want a mindless game get it, if you want all the above and a game that you could block the other guy and make him have to go the long way around also get this!

Thanks for Reading and

Game On'

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fer moros
South Korea
Kwang-Ju
Gwangju
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

love the background info!
thanks for sharing

fer
skorea
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.