GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,741 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
19 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
4 Posts

Pick & Pack» Forums » General

Subject: Compare to Travel Blokus rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeremy Arcus-Goldberg
United States
Natick
MA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
A favorite 2p game of mine is Travel Blokus. This seems pretty similar in style, teachability, and attractiveness.

Can anyone chime in and compare these two before I get a chance to play Pick and Pack?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just call me Erik
United States
Waldorf
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pick and Pack is almost exactly the same size, physically, but in gameplay terms it's much different.

The biggest thing in Pick and Pack is that your actions have a much more profound effect on your opponent's possible moves for a given turn. Also, there are event tokens that can drastically change what's happening.

Travel Blokus has lots of interaction, but a lot of it is subdued. It's not in-your-face like the interaction in Pick and Pack.

Aside from the gameplay difference, Travel Blokus is waterproof, whereas Pick and Pack certainly isn't.

My review might help you make up your mind:

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/305936/how-do-you-like-them-...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Arcus-Goldberg
United States
Natick
MA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Great, thanks for the comparison and for your review.

Would the game be playable without the event tokens, at least for beginners? I think they make gaming too confrontational for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just call me Erik
United States
Waldorf
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tevacircus wrote:
Great, thanks for the comparison and for your review.

Would the game be playable without the event tokens, at least for beginners? I think they make gaming too confrontational for me.

It would, except that in rows you don't have an apple crate, having an available event token is another possible action you can take in that space. The game would end much sooner without these additional spaces available (you would get to a point where you didn't have any other apple crates in the row you're in, and without being able to resort to an event token, that's all there is to it.)

You could, of course, play beginner mode with the event tokens in place, but using them wouldn't actually activate them, it would just use them up. Likewise you could put a restriction on the more aggressive events.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.