Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joe Gregoriou
United States
West Bend
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
According to a study done several years ago, where people exposed to various stimuli had there responses measured by EEG, having your sports team win a close game in the last second beat out everything, including orgasm, in terms of heightened neurological arousal.

http://link.brightcove.com/services/player/bcpid73315185001?...

(World Cup USA goal)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carc >> BSG
United States
Topeka
Kansas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Sports!
I was at a party showing the last game of some fucking basketball tournament. Luckily I had my laptop so I could do some inking. Anyway, towards the end the raw emotion coming from the other side of the room was terrifying. I'm not kidding. There were grown men crying for frak's sake. CRYING over the outcome of a stupid basketball game. Shit, people, it wasn't like David Tennant's last scene in The End of Time, where tears being shed is understandable, it was a fucking basketball game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Gregoriou
United States
West Bend
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Sports!
I work at a busy sports bar and when this happened, I was worried for people's sanity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Fiscus
United States
Maricopa
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ejcarter wrote:
I was at a party showing the last game of some fucking basketball tournament. Luckily I had my laptop so I could do some inking. Anyway, towards the end the raw emotion coming from the other side of the room was terrifying. I'm not kidding. There were grown men crying for frak's sake. CRYING over the outcome of a stupid basketball game. Shit, people, it wasn't like David Tennant's last scene in The End of Time, where tears being shed is understandable, it was a fucking basketball game.

Judgmental much? What gives you the right to decide what should and should not be emotion-invoking? I'm not exactly a huge sports fan, but I certainly get a rush from seeing my teams win big games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Needle
Australia
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
HuckmanT wrote:
ejcarter wrote:

Judgmental much? What gives you the right to decide what should and should not be emotion-invoking? I'm not exactly a huge sports fan, but I certainly get a rush from seeing my teams win big games.

Tim ignore him. You can tell that he really loves sports, I mean he spelt basketball correctly and he was with other people at a gathering that was watching the game.

I think he must be putting up a persona of a sports hater because he's trying to get some bird or something.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rudy
United States
No too far from Philly
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
...but this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind,
badge
...and reaching forth unto those things which are before,...
mbmbmb
ejcarter wrote:

What, did he lose money on the game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Cristelli
United States
Milton
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ejcarter wrote:

Dude, we get it. You HATE sports. There's no need to come spew your opinion all over the inside of threads having to do with sports. You made your point in this thread.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Cristelli
United States
Milton
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would believe it. I've witnessed some tearfully happy crowds in the last ten years. From the Red Sox winning the World Series in '04 (well, to be honest, the bigger celebration was beating the Yankees. The Series wasn't really in question for more than one game) to UVM beating Syracuse in the NCAA tournament, raw emotion was evoked by every close game.

To me, it is one of the greatest joys of being a true fan.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carc >> BSG
United States
Topeka
Kansas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
rdonato926 wrote:

Dude, we get it. You HATE sports. There's no need to come spew your opinion all over the inside of threads having to do with sports. You made your point in this thread.

Mmmm... I think there are still some people that aren't aware. I might rent a billboard or something.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Needle
Australia
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ejcarter wrote:
rdonato926 wrote:

Mmmm... I think there are still some people that aren't aware. I might rent a billboard or something.

Do it! May I suggest a live mobile board. I mean surely you are into art if you hate sports (they are mutually exclusive right?).

Or do you hate arts too? OMG tell me you don't hate the arts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morgan Dontanville
United States
Charlottesville
VA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Plate of Shrimp.
badge
Here we are folks, the dream we all dream of.
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, do you guys have a chip on your shoulder or something, let the man have an opinion.

This is Chit Chat, a forum for people to have open discussions. Lighten up.

Here's a cute furry thing:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Cristelli
United States
Milton
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ejcarter wrote:
rdonato926 wrote:

Not good enough. Go for market coverage: get a banner ad on ESPN.com.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
João 'Finding a new way to make you WTF today' Marum
Portugal
Loulé
Algarve
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sisteray wrote:
Wow, do you guys have a chip on your shoulder or something, let the man have an opinion.

Here's a cute furry thing:

I see you have found a tribble. When do you want us to call search and rescue?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Needle
Australia
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sisteray wrote:

There is one thing to having an opinion (I mean this is BGG) there is another thing to proselytise. He is flooding the boards.

To be honest-I think it is quite funny so fits right into CC.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carc >> BSG
United States
Topeka
Kansas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
nnf1 wrote:
sisteray wrote:

There is one thing to having an opinion (I mean this is BGG) there is another thing to proselytise. He is flooding the boards.

To be honest-I think it is quite funny so fits right into CC.

I googled 'get sports out of schools.' Not one single hit that matched my search. Seriously. There isn't a single web-page or blog-post or tweet that agrees with my position. ... which is kinda cool... makes me unique.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morgan Dontanville
United States
Charlottesville
VA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Plate of Shrimp.
badge
Here we are folks, the dream we all dream of.
mbmbmbmbmb
ejcarter wrote:

I googled 'get sports out of schools.' Not one single hit that matched my search. Seriously. There isn't a single web-page or blog-post or tweet that agrees with my position. ... which is kinda cool... makes me unique.

That sounds sad.

But here's some Noam Chomsky for you:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeff
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ejcarter wrote:
...towards the end the raw emotion coming from the other side of the room was terrifying.....

Really!?... Terrifying!?... were they that agressive towards you? were they even your friends? or were you dragged to some random party with others? Or were you hiding in the corner behind a couch, studing them like a pack of wild animals on a nature show?

The only reason I ask is to stay related to the OP, and bring up the point of all it is a combination of; emotion multiplied by the amount of alcohol consumed plus a long week at work = the release of built up preassure, stress, frustration, and the need to kill and consume ones neighbors.

I am not a follower of most sports. I do enjoy them though. The only team and sport I do pay attention to is, the Red Sox and Baseball. I couldn't tell you what anyother team is doing. I don't care. I would most likely put a movie in the DVD then watch a game, unless it's late/post season and the game really matters. I am far from what this region of the country calls a fan. To be a "proper" "fan" in this area you need to know everything about the team your following and all about their rivals at a minimum. Too much work for me.

Everybody and I mean Everybody!, needs a way to blow off steam and built up preassure. It's what stops people from getting sick from stress, and or killing others.

When I was a kid I would ride my bike top speed for miles until I got back home and dropped from exaustion. When I got older 18-24 it was martial arts, I took private Kenpo lessons once a week. My late 20's-30's I didn't really have anything to release steam life got preatty bummy and my Ex left me. I ended up quiting my job and going back to school full time and working part time. After that there was no stress to release for a few years which was nice. Now at 35 with full time job again, furthering my education, all my hobbies and responsibilities. I have stress again so I go Mt. climbing every other weekend. My Fiance' and I decided to climb all 48 peaks in NH over 4000 feet.

If you and others hate sports so much that's fine. It's a big world and there is pleanty of room for all types of people. There are several types that I really don't like or get along with at all. And that is fine too we don't share the same hobbies or pasttimes, and I can keep my distance.

What I'm saying is next time you see some fan, of some team off the wall happy or breaking down crying; don't judge the person just because they are releasing emotions in a way that you are not familiar with or undestand. It's a comfortable, constructive way, for them, that they probally grew up with, for releasing preassure instead of shooting you on the highway stuck in traffic.

What do you do to release and "let your hair down"? If I was to judge you by your avitar I would say you need to.

Here is the beautiful thing about sports... If you can come to grips with your angst of them, especially releating to your past (probally repressed) angers from Highschool (yes I was in the other thread remember) the fans will not turn you away, they will welcome you to their group regardless of who you are, and share with you their joys and sadness.

When I go to Fenway Stadium to watch a game I see every nationality, race and type of people there is and when Ortiz, Yook, Dustin, Teck, are anyone else gets a homerrun or makes a big play, none of them is judging each other, (cept if there a Yankee fan) thay are sharing the moment together and for once not having a pre-concieved idea of what each other is, but having a beer a hot dog and a good time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.