Recommend
11 
 Thumb up
 Hide
76 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: moving ot London...HELP! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
eryn roston
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello gamers.

I will be moving from sunny San Diego California, to (not-so-sunny) London England in about a month. There are some things that I will be leaving behind....my surfboards for example.

On the other hand I can't bear the thought of leaving my game collection at home. Is this a mistake? The new job is going to pay for some moving expenses so I'm not concerned about the costs really.

Is there anything I should do as far as packing or anything else like that so that my games arrive safe and sound across the pond?

-E

PS. "ot = to" (just so we're clear)
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
baditude wrote:


Is there anything I should do as far as packing or anything else like that so that my games arrive safe and sound across the pond?

-E


A coat.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
eryn roston
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:
baditude wrote:


Is there anything I should do as far as packing or anything else like that so that my games arrive safe and sound across the pond?

-E


A coat.


Yea..I hear my sandal days are over. I'll have to get used to socks I guess.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Lister
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Eryn,

As well as a coat, a liking for warm beer and fish n' chips you need to know where to find some gaming goodness.

May i suggest you come and join us at London on Board? details can be found at www.meetup.com/Londononboard

Paul


12 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Pinter
United States
Liverpool
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
there was a thread on packing games the other day which may help you out with some packing ideas.

http://boardgamegeek.com/article/5186912#5186912
7 
 Thumb up
0.05
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim P.
United States
Thousand Oaks
CA
flag msg tools
Visit the Wargame Bootcamp guild
badge
Muppet !
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
baditude wrote:
Hello gamers.

I will be moving from sunny San Diego California, to (not-so-sunny) London England in about a month. There are some things that I will be leaving behind....my surfboards for example.

On the other hand I can't bear the thought of leaving my game collection at home. Is this a mistake? The new job is going to pay for some moving expenses so I'm not concerned about the costs really.

Is there anything I should do as far as packing or anything else like that so that my games arrive safe and sound across the pond?

-E

PS. "ot = to" (just so we're clear)


There is surfing in the UK, for example Newquay in Cornwall. Don't forget the wetsuit !
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
eryn roston
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorp222 wrote:
Eryn,

As well as a coat, a liking for warm beer and fish n' chips you need to know where to find some gaming goodness.

May i suggest you come and join us at London on Board? details can be found at www.meetup.com/Londononboard

Paul




Hey Paul! I actually stumbled onto "London on Board" during some research lately. It's a good bet I'll be accepting your invite soon enough!

Fish n Chips I can handle...warm beer may take some time toget used to
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
baditude wrote:

Fish n Chips I can handle...warm beer may take some time toget used to


Don't forget warm "cokes"...seriously, can't they figure out how to make cubes of ice???
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel Buckle
United Kingdom
Thornton Heath
Croydon
flag msg tools
designer
NSKN are publishing my next game :)
badge
Omega Centauri Published in 2014
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:
baditude wrote:

Fish n Chips I can handle...warm beer may take some time toget used to


Don't forget warm "cokes"...seriously, can't they figure out how to make cubes of ice???


You misunderstand the British mentality ... unless you're in a pizza place you don't get unlimited refills, so asking for ice in your coke guarantees you a lovely glass of cheap ice cubes and a tiny amount of drink - and at an eye watering price. shake
14 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Providence
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Wrap them in cellophane/saran wrap to protect them from moisture, for sure.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
MWChapel wrote:
on't forget warm "cokes"...seriously, can't they figure out how to make cubes of ice???


Cold liquids reduce flavour (perception), are energy-expensive and deleterious to the health. You're better off without them.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
eryn roston
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
clearclaw wrote:
MWChapel wrote:
on't forget warm "cokes"...seriously, can't they figure out how to make cubes of ice???


Cold liquids reduce flavour (perception), are energy-expensive and deleterious to the health. You're better off without them.


You may be right, but I can remember playing soccer out on the beach on hot summer days for hours, and that fresh from the fridge, icy cold Gatorade afterward was one of the most satisfying parts of the whole day.

5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David van Damme
Netherlands
Rotterdam
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
About the packing of games, I guess it depends on how these will be send to London. Does all your stuff go in a container by boat or in boxes on a plane? Or will you send it through a parcel service? For the latter I would think wrapping like two or three boxes together in bubble wrap and stacking those in a bigger box would suffice. That's how oversees orders are shipped to me most of the time.

Hope you like euro games!
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
eryn roston
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
thanks for the help/advice!
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SAKURA in KYOTO 2018 Back to Kansai
England
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't go south of the river. The river Thames. That's the big one. In the middle. Big Ben? Yeah, near there, don't go south of it.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SAKURA in KYOTO 2018 Back to Kansai
England
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Move your wallet from your back pocket to your front pocket. Just do it, dude, you can thank me later.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SAKURA in KYOTO 2018 Back to Kansai
England
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
When you're crossing the road, man, look left first, then right. Just sayin'.
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SAKURA in KYOTO 2018 Back to Kansai
England
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Some moving expenses? How much is some?

That's a purty collection you get yurself there son. Obviously, a lot of that can be replaced here, but that's extra expense. Do you really expect to play the wargames? If not, then leave them, because unless you have a dedicated player lined up, they'll see little action. Likewise the BattleLore. If you are intending to visit game clubs in Lunnun, then you'll mind most euros on hand. So really it's a question of bringing the stuff you absolutely cannot part from, rather than the bulk of it.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CW Lumm
United States
Hampden
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Bring all your games. I did, and the ones that I don't play anymore, I've managed to sell for more than I would've gotten in the US.

London On Board is definitely the best place to meet fellow gamers that I've found. I go pretty much every week - hope to see you there!

P.S. There is plenty of surfing here, supposedly. I wouldn't do it, but there're some who do.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
eryn roston
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
EYE of NiGHT wrote:
Don't go south of the river. The river Thames. That's the big one. In the middle. Big Ben? Yeah, near there, don't go south of it.


Why not? While we're on the subject: where should I live?

Also...what football team will I be rooting for?

-E
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
eryn roston
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
EYE of NiGHT wrote:
Move your wallet from your back pocket to your front pocket. Just do it, dude, you can thank me later.


this I already do!
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Massey
United States
Teachey
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Casual wargamer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Be sure and check out the military museums! I'm dying to go there!
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Soren Vejrum
United Kingdom
Richmond
Surrey
flag msg tools
London On Board - the largest semi-organised group of boardgaming dicks in the known universe.
badge
London On Board - the largest semi-organised group of boardgaming dicks in the known universe.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
baditude wrote:
EYE of NiGHT wrote:
Don't go south of the river. The river Thames. That's the big one. In the middle. Big Ben? Yeah, near there, don't go south of it.


Why not? While we're on the subject: where should I live?

Also...what football team will I be rooting for?

-E


South of the river used to be for criminals and prostitutes and more recently (like in the 70s/80s) simply derelict - and away from the river it is still a bit dodgy in some places. But now the South Bank along the river Thames is actually one of the best parts of London. Start on the north side of the river at Big Ben (west) or Tower (east), cross the river and walk along the river to the other end. Buttler's Wharf; the new City Hall; Borough Market (Friday/Saturday) with the Monmouth Cafe and probably the world's best cappuccinos, and with The Rake pub and their hundreds of beers from all over the world, and with Brew Wharf and London's finest beers from the Meantime brewery; the Vinopolis museum and its Whisky shop; Shakespeare's Globe Theatre; the Tate Modern museum; Kevin Spacey's the Old Vic theatre; Oxo Tower; Gabriel's Wharf; the National Theatre; the BFI IMAX cinema; the Royal Festival Hall; the London Eye; and a number of decent restaurants and pubs and much more.

Where will you work? What can you afford? The Docklands area around Canary Wharf in the East End - another tradional no-go area of London - has a lot of very nice modern apartments at relatively affordable prices (because real Londoner's still cannot imagine themselves living in the East End). Be prepared for some very small "large" apartments.

If you end up living in the East End your local football team is West Ham (or Millwall, if you are a hooligan). They are mostly useless, but unbelieveably they have many fans all around the world. The British like to support an underdog, and what better fairytale than when this traditionally poor, East End workers' football team does manage to win something and beat the posh teams from North and West London.
8 
 Thumb up
0.05
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Would
United Kingdom
Hucknall
Nottinghamshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Where you are working is probably the important factor of where to live. If you work in the centre then you will want to be on a tube line at the least.

Me, I chose to live in Finchley because of Leisure Games (good games shop) but I am sad. Good tube links in to the centre, easy road, rail, and coach links to get anywhere else, and it has a games shop and good gaming club. Nice area too, which is an important consideration!
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Lister
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
baditude wrote:
EYE of NiGHT wrote:
Don't go south of the river. The river Thames. That's the big one. In the middle. Big Ben? Yeah, near there, don't go south of it.


Why not? While we're on the subject: where should I live?

Also...what football team will I be rooting for?

-E


Where you live is often determined by where you work, your budget and your lifestle preferences. London is a big city that feels like lots of small connected villages; the areas all have their own character - Hoxton is very different from Hampstead, Brixton (where i live) is very different from Blackheath (where Conrad /'Kamcathka' lives). As for North or South of the river, i assume 'Eye of Night' was repeating an old joke (usually one pedalled by non natives or the occassional sight seer) My only reccomendation would be to find some where to live that is close to good transport links into central London (unless you can afford to live in Central London) - and within easy rech of London on Board

Football team? See where you live first and take it from there.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.