Grant Batt
United States
Scottsdale
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
Rebel
mbmbmbmbmb
So I am about to press the purchase button on ArtsCow to buy Jack’s (TheWarp) Werewolf decks, but I really need some help! I remember playing this game, in its uber generic form, many years ago with a church group, but looking through Jacks decks, I’m not sure if I can figure out how to play the game with them. I’ve been browsing through the forums a bit and looking for a detailed rules/role listing, but everything I’ve found so far sort of assumes you know what you’re doing already. I know all the cards have what you are supposed to do listed on them, but reading them confuses me even more. I don’t even know where to start! There are so many cards, do I just shuffle them all together and randomly deal them out? Am I supposed to build a pre constructed deck based on the number of players with a certain mix of werewolves to villagers? And what specific roles are must haves, and which are not? AHH! Too much variety!!

I know, lame post, I need to do more digging. I’m just a sucker for Jack’s awesome ArtsCow decks and this seems like a great, fun, easy, portable game for non-gamers.

Oh, and should I buy all the decks? I was just going to get decks #1, #2 and #4 for the moderator aid cards. I get a free deck and using the PLCARDS499 coupon code is putting this purchase right at $20, pretty much right where I want for this game. I’m not missing anything critical besides extra roles by not getting Deck #3 am I?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barney Bustoffson
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would get all 4, since the roles are split more or less alphabetically, as opposed to some other order. There is a spreadsheet in the werewolf files section that details how the roles work, with some other notes on gameplay.

Also, one of the artscow decks includes some new moon card variants he'd done, base on the New Moon cards that are in the Miller's Hollow expansion. You can check that game's listing for rules on those cards.

As for using them, it depends on the size of your group. A number of the villager roles have no ability (and again, they are spread out through the 4 decks). Beginners should stick to mostly those roles and a couple of the normal werewolves... and include maybe the seer and possibly one other special role (masons, or milk maid, or bodyguard). Once you have a group that knows the game well, and especially when you have moderators that can handle more challenges, you can add in more special roles.

What I like a lot about this set is how many of the "special" roles are simple to integrate. Some are just voting parameters, and others activate under special conditions, so it isn't too unwieldy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Smith

Cedar Rapids
Iowa
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I wouldn't get all four unless you are planning on playing this with huge groups of people many, many times. I really like the set, but found a lot of the cards to be too confusing/complicated for the several times a year that I can actually get a group together large enough to play this. I pared it down to a single deck consisting only of roles that were not overly complicated and could be easily understood by beginner. I also added a mechanic to allow for roles to be enabled to provide more or fewer villagers.

In case you are interested, you can find my modified deck here:
http://www.artscow.com/share/Werewolf-3otvomx2h4nc

Hope this helps...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Batt
United States
Scottsdale
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
Rebel
mbmbmbmbmb
SawHat wrote:

Hope this helps...

Thanks Lee! I really like that set, but I cant seem to add it to my Cart, theres no Add to Cart button.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Smith

Cedar Rapids
Iowa
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Try it now. I didn't know there was an enable for Add to Cart.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Smith

Cedar Rapids
Iowa
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, and I'd like to know what you think of the Role Enabling, if you use that feature.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Batt
United States
Scottsdale
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
Rebel
mbmbmbmbmb
SawHat wrote:
Oh, and I'd like to know what you think of the Role Enabling, if you use that feature.

Thanks! And ya I like that, I will probably use it, that's one of the reasons why I like your set. I just wish your set had the Alignment, Race and Team stats on them as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Reda
United States
Herndon
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
Guess the games in my uberbadge!
badge
My favorite game is Cosmic Encounter.
mbmbmbmbmb
I would get all four, unless you happen to know for certain that all of the roles in one of the sets are roles you don't ever plan to play. Just a suggestion though. I don't imagine anyone plans to have a game with 100 or more people in it. The sheer number of roles here are more for the sake of variety. To each his own. Ciao.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jean-marc Thibault
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want definitive cards and descriptions of each one, buy Ultimate Werewolf. There's some great deals online.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric S. Snyder
United States
Muncie
Indiana
flag msg tools
I must be blind. Where do you find TheWarp's decks at Artscow?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Reda
United States
Herndon
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
Guess the games in my uberbadge!
badge
My favorite game is Cosmic Encounter.
mbmbmbmbmb
As has been said, the roles are distributed more or less alphabetically though all of the decks, and the fourth deck also includes some player aids.

You don't need to have 100 or more people to play with this one. There are enough basic roles for use in small groups.

http://www.artscow.com/share/Werewolves-2010-set-1-hzavg9av5...
(contains the following roles: Freeman, Goth Girl, Gossip, Ghost, Gambler, Foreigner, Fool, Familiar, Fisherman, Ferryman, Fenrir, Farmer, Exorcist, Dyer, Cultist, Drunkard, Doppelganger, Diseased, Disciple, Dentist, Daywalker, Cursed, Coward, Cosmopolite, Brewer, Copycat, Cobbler, Charlatan, Changeling, Chandler, Carpenter, Butcher, Advocate, Burgher, Burgess, Bruja, Brute, Bulverk, Bodyguard, Astrologist, Blackmailer, Blacksmith, Beta Wolf, Benandati, Barkeep, BAker, Augur, Apprentice, Apothecary, Alpha Wolf, Angel, Alienist, Grave Digger, Alchemist)

http://www.artscow.com/share/Werewolves-2010-deck-2-jkbatrkq...
(contains the following roles: Pariah, Pacifist, Paranoid, Pagan, Oracle, Omega Wolf, Misfit, Old Hag, Occultist, Nosferatu, Nurse, Newsie, Necromancer, Mutant Wolf, Munin, Mistress, Misogynist, Miller, Misanthrope, Milk Maid, Midwife, Merchant, Medium, Mentor, Matchmaker, 2 Masons, Martyr, Magus, Magistrate, Lycan, Lunatic, Little Girl, Lone Wolf, Kennel Master, Lamplighter, Lamia, Judge, Journeyman, Inspector, Innkeeper, Imposter, Innocent, Illusionist, Hypnotist, Hunter, Hothead, Herbalist, Hangman, Gypsy, Guardian, Grifter, Gravedigger, Parson)

http://www.artscow.com/share/Werewolves-2010-deck-3-lggr0wxc...
(contains the following roles: Tracker, Therointhrope, Town Crier, Teamster, Teacher, Stone Mason, Taxidermist, Split Personality, Spiritualist, Spectre, Sorceress, Spinster, Somnambulist, Soothsayer, Scientist, Skin Walker, Silversmith, Sibling, Sheriff, Shepherd, Shapeshifter, Shaman, Seer, Schizophrenic, Seamstress, Scapegoat, Savant, Satan, Sailor, Saint, Samaritan, Rugaru, Saboteur, Sadist, Recluse, Reanimator, Revenant, Queen, Pugilist, Rabble Rouser, Psychotic, Psychic, Provocateur, Prince, Prostitute, Professor, Possessed, Priest, Potter, Poltergeist, Physician, Politician, Philanthropist, Penitent)

http://www.artscow.com/share/Werewolves-2010-deck-4-4kkac6ex...
(contains 16 player aids, 23 custom New Moon cards, and the following roles: Troubadour, Twin, Valet, Vampire, Vigilante, Village Elder, Village Idiot, 2 basic Werewolf, Weaver, Warlock, Wolf Cub, Witch, Wolf Man, Wolfen, Wolf-Were, Woodsman, Wretch, Wulver, Wurdalak, Zealot, Zombie, Xenophobe).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matrovsky Karobekian
United States
Cantonment
FL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If I wanted to condense some of those roles into fewer decks (we just never play with a big enough group for many of those cards), how would I go about it? I can't see a way to move an image from one of the albums to another one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DomaGB
United States
Green Bay area
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought this deck several months ago, having never played werewolf, then about a month ago played a few games at a game con. Last night, I introduced the game to my friends. It went over great. One other player moderated for awhile allowing me to play.

I like your collection well, though I think it needs the sorcerer. I have only a little experience will have to see if there are some other popular roles missing and change some out. I have some experience with artscow now.

SawHat wrote:
I wouldn't get all four unless you are planning on playing this with huge groups of people many, many times. I really like the set, but found a lot of the cards to be too confusing/complicated for the several times a year that I can actually get a group together large enough to play this. I pared it down to a single deck consisting only of roles that were not overly complicated and could be easily understood by beginner. I also added a mechanic to allow for roles to be enabled to provide more or fewer villagers.

Hope this helps...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.