Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jesse Dean
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Pound for pound, the amoeba is the most vicious predator on Earth!
mbmbmb
It seems in my limited (4) plays of this, that it is difficult to win if you do not end up with any of the pilgrimage cards. Typically during the Early and Middle Empire periods, individuals will extend themselves throughout the map building and such as required, trying to connect to at least one of each of the pilgrimage sites (usually 2, at most, are connected to), and then spending the last round of the game going on a pilgrimage during each people phase. While this won't help you much if you get too far behind, if three people are in close contention (as is frequently the case), then getting a pilgrimage card is a big enough advantage to determine the winner.

Now it is quite possible that we are suffering from group think, and I hope this is the case. I quite enjoy the game, and I hope it is not the case that not getting an appropriate pilgrimage card means you don't win.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
doubtofbuddha wrote:
It seems in my limited (4) plays of this, that it is difficult to win if you do not end up with any of the pilgrimage cards.

I have won many games without any pilgrimage. I've also lost many games when I've held all three. (I'm about 20 games in here) I do not find them necessary.

Quote:
...usually 2, at most, are connected to...

More commonly all three here.

Quote:
...the last round of the game going on a pilgrimage during each people phase.

No, because by that time the player that shares the card with you will almost certainly also be able to pilgrimage, rendering it (mostly) a waste of time. I find the most effective pilgrimages are done during the first round of the last epoch, or the last round of the middle epoch.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Dean
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
JC, that does not surprise me.

When I was discussing it last night with some of the other players involved in these games, I realized that probably the best mitigating factor would be to connect to all three city types, and thus render the ability to play a "safe" pilgrimage moot. We have only seen someone enable themselves for three different types of pilgrimages once, but that could simply be due to us not recognizing the need to force the issue more than anything else.

Do you remember what happened in the game you won without pilgrimages?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
doubtofbuddha wrote:

Sure. The most notable was when I spent every epoch of the middle age with at least one Wilderness Road beside me. I connected to everything.

FWLIW I don't think Wilderness Road cards are critical to winning, but having access to a Wilderness Road power in the mid-game is close to necessary.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
doubtofbuddha wrote:
We have only seen someone enable themselves for three different types of pilgrimages once, but that could simply be due to us not recognizing the need to force the issue more than anything else.

Yeah, but since a player can only do one pilgrimages during a people phase(they are not stacked), and you really still need to connect and build cities to make any kind of impact. I think you'll find that you really are only going to make a "solid" round of pilgrimages in the 2nd to the last round(only because the last round may be cut short). I played last night, and once I had a solid network, I spend 3 people rounds pilgrimaging, but only after I made sure I had a connection to most cities, and had cities built of my own. Cause in early rounds cities pay off way greater than pilgrimages over time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Dean
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Chapel,

We play without the random end in the last set of rounds, simply because the sheer chaos of it seems rather out of place in the rest of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Jones
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
clearclaw wrote:
doubtofbuddha wrote:

Sure. The most notable was when I spent every epoch of the middle age with at least one Wilderness Road beside me. I connected to everything.

FWLIW I don't think Wilderness Road cards are critical to winning, but having access to a Wilderness Road power in the mid-game is close to necessary.

Not completely. I played last night with three others and won by two (beating MWChapel... hah!) and I did not get the Wilderness Road once in the entire game. I won with city connections (11 at the end of the game) and lots of terraces. Having eight terraces at the end allowed me to mitigate the penalty for being in first place and just rush for VPs. Worked great in this particular game.

In fact, the two players who used the Wilderness Road more than either Chapel or I came in 3rd and 4th. I suspect this game is an anomaly however and WR is normally a key for victory.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Eisen
United States
Menlo Park
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
doubtofbuddha wrote:
Chapel,

We play without the random end in the last set of rounds, simply because the sheer chaos of it seems rather out of place in the rest of the game.

As do we, but this does seem to risk making pilgrimages overpowered. Good point about that in this thread.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.