Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sue Hemberger

Washington
Dist of Columbia
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So my daughter asks "Does this mean I have to leave Citadels at home?" My answer was no, but I'm also wondering what's up with this restriction and whether they even know what they're prohibiting.

Anybody else run into such a ban in a totally secular environment? It struck me as bizarre. Camp is residential and lasts 3 weeks. They're anti-electronics, but encourage other recreational pursuits (musical instruments, sports equipment are on the list of things kids might want to bring).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Perhaps they meant rocket propelled grenades.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Phillips
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thereofone wrote:
Ask them about it, it's probably just a relic of an 80s CYA ban.

Yeah, good idea. This worked for me in college.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Krüger
Germany
Krefeld
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RPGs take a lot of time and tend to involve the same people again and again, i. e. the same five to ten players will spend all available time together. Maybe this is what they don't want to happen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Crane
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe in the past kids have holed up and played Dungeons and Dragons to the exclusion of everything else. That's how I spent many of my summers growing up, and I've only had two failed demonic invocations since then, so no permanent damage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
NONE of that "rectally penetrating gyros" ALLOWED! by A-N-Y-O-N-E, to include consenting "Camp Counselors" as well...
"this ONE 'time'... at 'Bland Clamp', then I got 'trout' in someone's 'peanut butter'!"
NOW... we've 'got' 2 great tastes in ONE great treat! "PB &T"!
L@@K for THAT in your grocer's "Fish" aisle...
gulp
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sue Hemberger

Washington
Dist of Columbia
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:
Perhaps they meant rocket propelled grenades.

No problem, as long as you design and manufacture your own...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sue Hemberger

Washington
Dist of Columbia
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GROGnads wrote:
NONE of that "rectally penetrating gyros" ALLOWED! by A-N-Y-O-N-E, to include consenting "Camp Counselors" as well...
"this ONE 'time'... at 'Bland Clamp', then I got 'trout' in someone's 'peanut butter'!"
NOW... we've 'got' 2 great tastes in ONE great treat! "PB &T"!
L@@K for THAT in your grocer's "Fish" aisle...
gulp

Always a pleasure to see you, 'nads!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Shaw
United States
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess I'm ignorant...what the heck is Nerd Camp?

I would have thought Nerds would want their RPG's...

I'd imagine they shouldn't have a problem with boardgames...I guess...give them a call and see if they have a problem with monopoly...if not send a game along with her and if they ask just tell her to say it's a variation of monopoly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Artoos
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
This is actually, honest to God, called Nerd Camp? Yet it's anti-electronics, bringing sports equipment is encouraged and RPGs are not allowed?

Was someone perhaps feeling sarcastic when picking a name for the camp?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stetler
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
spoony bard wrote:
This is actually, honest to God, called Nerd Camp? Yet it's anti-electronics, bringing sports equipment is encouraged and RPGs are not allowed?

Sounds more like a nerd rehabilitation camp. A concept which gives me the same creepy feeling as those retreats where they "pray the gay out" of people.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sue Hemberger

Washington
Dist of Columbia
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A few colleges/universities (Northwestern, Davidson, Johns Hopkins) have academic-y summer camps for kids who score really well on standardized tests. My daughter's doing a Model UN course for rising 6th/7th graders at one this year. But the same campus will have lots of middle school kids studying other things as well (e.g. robotics, math, lit).

Her take was that it would be easy to find/recruit boardgamers in a group like this and she's trying to decide what to bring. Having had no exposure to D&D she hears "role-playing games" and thinks Citadels, Kingsburg, Lifeboat, and Shadow Hunters. I'm trying to lower her gaming expectations a bit. At this point, I think Dixit, Qwirkle Cubes, Tai Chi Chuan, Würfel Bingo and Politico are making the trip. My take is her best bet is games that can be quickly and easily explained.

"Nerd Camp" was the title of a New Yorker article (which may or may not be made into a movie, which may or may not be a documentary!) about one of these programs. Here's a link to the article: http://smallcrumbs.blogspot.com/2010/03/i-am-going-to-re-pub... I learned about it when I taught at JHU and the camps were a fun source of summer employment for my grad students.

Oh yeah, and the example of sports equipment they provided was a frisbee, LOL. "Nerd Camp" won't be fielding a lacrosse team any time soon! That said, I told DD she had to leave her epees at home, but it wouldn't surprise me if she's not the only fencer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Is Board
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm sure the term "nerd camp" is just a catch-all phrase the OP is using. More likely it's a sort of camp for smarter kids with an emphasis on meeting people, learning a few things and getting away from technology and enjoying...well, camp.

EDIT: beaten by the OP, ignore me. IGNORE ME!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Artoos
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
smithhemb wrote:
My daughter's doing a Model UN course for rising 6th/7th graders at one this year.

Nice! thumbsup

Shane Sather wrote:
EDIT: beaten by the OP, ignore me. IGNORE ME!!!

Consider it done.

Wait...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Tak
United States
Chapin
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd go with the 'avoid reclusive huddling in a corner playing DnD' line of reasoning. And, with the mention of the frisbee, they're probably trying to go for some exposure to other things than being a studious nerd. Sounds like the kind of thing I could have used growing up instead of having to learn about social skills years behind the curve!

I wouldn't freak about it, but it never hurts to ask (red flags if they get defensive and all that). Sounds like you've got a great thing going for the wee one there, rock on
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sue Hemberger

Washington
Dist of Columbia
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
spoony bard wrote:
smithhemb wrote:
My daughter's doing a Model UN course for rising 6th/7th graders at one this year.

Nice! thumbsup

She's really excited about it. And cracked up at the RPG thing once I explained what it meant, saying, "Um, wait, but then isn't Model UN itself kind of a role-playing game?"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Bergom
United States
Towson
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
"Sometimes it would be nice to be wrong about people." -Commander Samuel Vimes
mbmbmbmbmb
smithhemb wrote:
spoony bard wrote:
smithhemb wrote:

Nice! thumbsup

She's really excited about it. And cracked up at the RPG thing once I explained what it meant, saying, "Um, wait, but then isn't Model UN itself kind of a role-playing game?"

laugh
That's hilarious! Clever kid you've got there.

Though I wouldn't recommend making this point to the camp directors. Emperors don't like it when people point out their lack of clothing. (But then again, the camp I almost got kicked out of was a religious camp, so YMMV)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.