Arkham Horror» Forums » General

Subject: How many are you when you are alone? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Maury Richards
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For those of you that play solo, I am curious to know how many characters you usually run. I have gone with up to four. At four I feel I am pushing my ability to keep track of what is going on when. My last game with four was my first with Innsmouth...and I got crushed.

I quite enjoy the speed with only one investigator, but I feel like winning in final battle is really the only way to go for the solo hero.

I still have yet to see a victory by closing gates. I have won by sealing a number of times (with three or more investigators - both solo and with other players) but I/we can't seem to figure out how you can close gates quickly enough to win by closing.

Anyway, I was just curious as to how other play when they are solo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
4 investigators. Sometimes 3. But usually 4 in case my wife decides to join me after all and we can both keep 2 without changing anything mid-game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edy Ferreira
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We are 4. I, me, myself and "My other me".... We usually argue a lot by the way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
5 here. Mainly because I play with all expansions mixed. I'm thinking about playing with 6 investigators.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam
United States
Tempe
Arizona
flag msg tools
AaAaAaAaAaAaA! Oh no! You shanked my Jenga ship!
badge
"We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! I can’t think what anybody sees in them!"
mbmbmbmbmb
My only solo play so far was with four. It made for a lot to do during upkeep, and I'm pretty sure I forgot to give Jenny her trustfund money and the deputy his pay at least once. Even though it gave me a lot to keep track of, I'll probably stick with four in future solo games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim
United States
Frederick
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've also only played solo with 4 but I think tonight I am going to try 3.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
LIFEFORM - LIVE NOW ON KICKSTARTER!!!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One or two.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Rodger
Scotland
Inverness
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I generally go for 3 plus 1 for each big board expansion I'm using at the time

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Matejka
United States
Middleton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I always do 3. If I did more, I think I would start losing track of my own plans. If the wife decides to jump in, I can just pass her a character. I don't think she'd want to do more than 1.

Also, I think my table size maxes out at around 3. Obviously, I need to think these things through more when I do my furniture shopping.
- K

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Mc Cabe
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
There are those who look at things the way they are and ask why . . . I dream of things that never were and ask why not
mbmbmbmbmb
Spirit of 70

I used to have trouble keeping track of Jenny's money machine, too.

At game start, I put five one-dollar bills on the counter top in front of her character sheet and during the Upkeep phase, give her one.

For the retainers, I put two dollars on the card, so that my eye catches it sitting there and I'll remember to get two more out of supply.

For blessings and some of the other special cards, I'll take a slider and put that on the card. Sometimes, I'll use an Eihort token. Anything to catch my eye, since there are so many things to keep track of.

Brian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Gaudreau
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I play with 3.

Not too much to remember during upkeep, and my table can't handle more anyway. I already have the monster cup and other tokens on a chair beside the table, and the GOO is usually falling half-off.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GodRob
United States
Culpeper
Virginia
flag msg tools
While primarily used for killing vampires, a wooden stake to the heart is also highly effective against most other opponents.
badge
Everybody wants to be a Game Designer but nobody wants to be a Game Designer.
mbmbmbmbmb
Always four random investigators against a random GOO. Then another four against another random GOO. Continue until I've played a game against each Great Old One and used each investigator twice. It takes WEEKS!

I've only played the base game once this way and again with CotDP. While I have all of the other expansions, I can't seem to get started because I'm not sure which combination of investigators / GOOs to use.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bern Harkins
United States
Buffalo
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've just done four. I think I'll try two next time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob T
United States
Mantua (near Woodbury)
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Almost always 3. For the base game alone I'll try just 2, and for Innsmouth I'll use 3 or 4 but I have trouble keeping track of more than 3 Investigators. I get 4 people mixed up, I'll fight a monster using the wrong character's stats and then have to do it over again...

One trick to keep track of stuff, I'll keep a red or black die on top of the Blessing/Curse cards, Retainers, and Bank Loans to remember to roll for them during Upkeep. (I also do this for certain Rumours that require a die roll) I keep the player's next dollar on top of the "357 Magnum" card so they remember to reload it, and I don't bother flipping exhausted Spells over unless there's a chance of using it again that same turn, such as "Wither" when facing multiple monsters. When stats are affected by Environments I turn the sliders sideways for those abilities (-1 Sneak eyc)

Another clever reminder; when "Martial Law" is declared in Innsmouth I put a little plastic octopus (from a vending machine) on Joe Sargent's Bus Service as a reminder (very Cthulhu-esque looking)

I'll also bend the rules a little- if I forget to move the 2nd or 3rd player's sliders during Upkeep they're "allowed" to do it at the start of Movement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Ward
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I use 2, but I don't hold out on any hope of success! (Though I am quite new to the game and never expect to beat this game!!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Latorre
msg tools
mbmb
howlingfang wrote:
For those of you that play solo, I am curious to know how many characters you usually run. I have gone with up to four. At four I feel I am pushing my ability to keep track of what is going on when.

With no variant rules, I use 4. To keep track of stuff I have memory markers, and I turn exhausted cards sideways or put clue tokens on them .

With variant rules to scale things slightly, 1 investigator is fine. Try this quick variant:

1) At the start of the game, draw and resolve two mythos cards
2) Take two turns in a row, don't draw a Mythos card until the end of the second turn.
3) Keep taking two turns in a row between mythos draws.

Have fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Houghton
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Have played with 4, and recently 3.

3 Still too much for my ageing and beer-addled brain to cope with!

Am going to try with 2 (only have base game), but give the lead investigator a second free turn, before the Mythos phase, so as to have a better chance of winning!

I understand that 2 investigators against most base game GOOs is too hard, because there's not enough time to collect your gear and/or seal the gates, before Arkham is awash with monsters, the terror level has shut the shops, and the Doom counter is almost full.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Chou4555 wrote:
Have played with 4, and recently 3.

3 Still too much for my ageing and beer-addled brain to cope with!

Am going to try with 2 (only have base game), but give the lead investigator a second free turn, before the Mythos phase, so as to have a better chance of winning!

I understand that 2 investigators against most base game GOOs is too hard, because there's not enough time to collect your gear and/or seal the gates, before Arkham is awash with monsters, the terror level has shut the shops, and the Doom counter is almost full.

with base game only you'll be fine. expansions may change this tho . . .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus
Finland
Helsinki
Uusimaa
flag msg tools
You don't need any more.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I usually run two or three investigators without any expansion boards. This gives me a good level of difficulty and has an acceptable level of upkeep.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
André Vitória
msg tools
I always play one investigator against the world! The sense of desperation against overwhelming odds is just incredible. But I manage to keep a 60% success rate playing this way, either by sealing gates (never did by closing) or slaying the Old One. arrrh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eðvarð Hilmarsson
Iceland
Reykjavik
Reykjavik
flag msg tools
Cthulhu whispers to me when I sleep......
badge
Cthulhu whispers to me when I sleep......
mbmbmbmbmb
2 and 4 are my magic numbers.

Four I would consider an "epic" game for one person to handle. Its fun but quite draining as well (having to keep track of everything).

With just the base set or a small box expansion I find that using only two makes for a much more immersive game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Houghton
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just played with 2 investigators, but with the lead investigator having an extra "turn".. so in effect it was three.. Worked quite well...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Crompton
United Kingdom
St Helens
Merseyside
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've always used 2. I've played about 15 solo games using 2 investigators and the win/lose ratio is pretty close. Average game time is about 90 minutes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Houghton
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
philcrompton wrote:
I've always used 2. I've played about 15 solo games using 2 investigators and the win/lose ratio is pretty close. Average game time is about 90 minutes.

Interesting, Phil!

Did you win by sealing gates, or the big ruck with GOO at the end?

And does the terror track play less of a role when only using 2 investigators?

And if you play an expansion... you must have to have a third investigator to make it winnable?

Cheerz

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Brewer
United Kingdom
Bedford
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So do people not play with 1 investigator? Is that just too hard?
Mike

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.