Popular Tags: [View All]
Brad H.
United States
Crowley
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rule 4.2.3 states, "The corporation may run any or all of the trains it owns." Rule 4.2.3.1 states, "A corporation must run train(s) for the greatest total revenue possible, if any player who owns stock in the corporation insists.

If I am the only stockholder in a company, is it mandatory that I run trains or can I chose not to run any trains; therefore, not generating any revenue? Per the above, I would assume that if I am the only stockholder, and I do not insist on the greatest total revenue possible, that I can choose not to run any trains.

Reasoning: delay the end of the game by preventing the bank from busting this operating round.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JR
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Memento ferrugo
badge
Memento ferrugo
mbmbmbmbmb
Based just on the snippets you've pasted and my knowledge of the rules, I'd tend to agree that you can choose to not run trains at all. I'd be interested to hear a more authoritative source chime in though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Fawcett
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Owning trains if a company has a valid route is required; running them is not. If you are the sole shareholder, there is no one else to insist you make money for them. By not paying out dividends you will reduce the share value, which of course only hurts you as sole shareholder. Is delaying the draining of the bank reason enough to fall on your own sword?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Smith
United States
Jackson
MS
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Is delaying the draining of the bank reason enough to fall on your own sword?

I can easily imagine a scenario where having the income from an additional operating round is worth the short term loss to a single company.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad H.
United States
Crowley
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the replies. And, yes, it was the difference between coming in first or second. My other corporation had two 4Ds and I needed another operating round to move into first.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Pride
Indonesia
Jakarta
DKI Jakarta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You can also run it with minimum revenue (eg. with 1 city and a town) if it's still won't break the bank, to prevent the shares from going down. Remember, as long as you pay dividend, the shares will go up (left).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.